Replacement chassis for Hornby A3 loco

I have a Langley models Baltic tank part built with a Hornby A3 chassis waiting conversion, on the Langley site it states the loco is designed for the Hornby A3 but Alan Gibson does a chassis for this loco, I am not into Alan Gibson Mainframes as I prefer a simpler chassis (with tabs) to build, but want a chassis which is superior to the old Hornby A3 chassis. As Alan Gibson does separate frames for the A2,3 & 4's do these differ from the Hornby chassis which I am guessing is not an exact replica with the wheelbase etc

I see Comet do a set of frames (I have the Langley coupling rod etches etc) for the A3, but do these match the old Hornby wheelbase or will I have to fall back on the Alan Gibson ones

The LBSCR Baltic had a slightly longer wheelbase than the A4.

It is not much, but I noticed it when I built the Gibson chassis. A set of A3 rods used to bind, and I had to make a set from Gibson Universal rods.

I really must get around to assembling the Langley etch for the valve gear.

I'm guessing, but a Comet A3 chassis should fit, with the Langley rear bogie added. I'm not sure whether the Comet valve has the same dimensions as that supplied with the Langley kit.

Earlswoof Nob

I obviously typed the above post without seeing that my brain was in gear.

The LBSCR Baltic had a double slidebar mechanism, and the A3 had a single (in fact triple) slidebar mechanism.

This means that the Comet A3 valve gear would be incorrect.

Earlswood Nob

Langley include all the motion parts on an etch, I have a Hornby cylinder so may have to buy i similar one to the Hornby which I think differs from the standard A3's

Archived