shanks522

Hello all,

This is a thread devoted to one of my Dads layouts, It takes several aspects of the Arlberg route in Austria and will be based around the 60's/70's.

It is built in the spare room and is around 8' x 9', Peco code 100 and almost all the rolling stock is from an Austrian firm called Kleinbahn.

Background (Dad) :

I first travelled to Austria on a school trip in 1963, staying in an hotel at Otztal Bahnhof. Despite being a dyed-in-the-wool steam fan, I was nonetheless very taken with the electrified railways of the Tyrol, and was introduced to the models produced by the Kleinbahn company. Since that time I have made several visits to Austria, and have made a study of the railways of the OBB.

Recently I discovered that Kleinbahn are still producing their delightful replicas, some the same as those I bought in the 1960s. The models are perhaps a little crude compared with other contemporary products, but are very competitively priced, and are full of charm and character. They are also for me a link with the past, and give me great pleasure.

I have usually entered Austria via the Arlberg main line, and so the layout Graham and I are building incorporates impressions of several features of it - Bludenz yard, the old eastern portal of the Arlberg tunnel, the Trisanna bridge and Otztal station. Concealed fiddle yards represent Innsbruck and Landeck.

As with my BR Western and Southern layouts, not to mention the SNCF one on the drawing board (!), Graham has done the vast majority of the work, and with this one I have been responsible for the track laying and little else! As those of you who have seen Graham's Smithdown Road Junc. , Aylestone West, and Sarum Town layouts, you will appreciate why I am only too happy to let him get on with it! Thank you very much, son.  

A few photo's.

Trisanna bridge, this is hinged so access into the room is easier, i will post some pictures later.

post-6774-0-11862300-1475264364_thumb.jpg

Now to the left of the bridge, approach into Otztal station which will be hidden.

post-6774-0-32038000-1475264407_thumb.jpg

The station itself, the rear running line will be hidden behind a back scene eventually.

post-6774-0-24809400-1475264396_thumb.jpg

Left hand corner, the TGV is on the main line, the line behind it climbs up to what will become Bludenz.

post-6774-0-50707500-1475264382_thumb.jpg

Finally crossing the window.

post-6774-0-11615500-1475264344_thumb.jpg

Now a few shots of some stock.

OBB selection.

post-6774-0-06721300-1475264431_thumb.jpg

OBB Oberleitungsreparturwagen.

post-6774-0-35022500-1475264445_thumb.jpg

One of my favourites.

post-6774-0-12049600-1475264456_thumb.jpg

And lastly.

post-6774-0-34753800-1475264467_thumb.jpg

Graham & David.

• Like 12

A few more pictures.

Underneath what will be Otztal station are 9 hidden sidings plus a couple of loco roads, this was the first section to be built and is controlled by a diode matrix which sets the entire route at the push of one button, it also is viewed via webcam connected to the computer.

Fiddle yard.

post-6774-0-29340600-1475271289_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-78108400-1475271297_thumb.jpg

Control panel for the yard, when the photo was taken the LED's weren't connected but they illuminate the road that is set.

post-6774-0-38201600-1475271312_thumb.jpg

Graham & David.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Like it a lot, especially as I have an Austrian passport... :yes: 

My first train set was from Kleinbahn, and also today I have several locomotives and coaches from this company. Some of the Austrian locomotives are only covered by Kleinbahn, so there is no way but to buy there stuff. As they changed from their own (and not very reliable) motor to Chinese can motors some 20 years ago these locomotives run reasonable good.

The small 92 series branch line steam locomotives is for instance one of the model which I haven't seen anywhere (at affordable prices). It was the locomotive serving the branchline from Wiener Neustadt to Puchberg am Schneeberg where also one of these locomotives is on a static display. And of course I have one as well :-)

By the way - the German company BRAWA also produces this model, but for 435 Euro they are already at the edge of affordable... (Kleinbahn currently 97 Euro)

Hope to hear more from your project!

• Like 1

Hello all,

A few more photo's, this time of the opening bridge.

As the layout runs round the whole room access was an issue, originally the plan was for a lift out section but this would have been to large / heavy. The solution? a bridge on a hinge!

As you enter the room this is the view.

post-6774-0-98504800-1475425855_thumb.jpg

Push the bridge board and she'll start to move.

post-6774-0-86915300-1475425813_thumb.jpg

At 45'

post-6774-0-16942700-1475425826_thumb.jpg

then fully open at 90'

post-6774-0-62510300-1475425835_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-82267300-1475425843_thumb.jpg

Very easy for access and also will make photography a little more interesting.

cheers

Graham. 

• Like 4

Hello all,

A few more photo's, this time of the opening bridge.

As the layout runs round the whole room access was an issue, originally the plan was for a lift out section but this would have been to large / heavy. The solution? a bridge on a hinge!

As you enter the room this is the view.

bridge as you enter the room .jpg

Push the bridge board and she'll start to move.

bridge opening .jpg

At 45'

bridge open at 45 degrees.jpg

then fully open at 90'

bridge open at 90 degrees.jpg

bridge fully open.jpg

Very easy for access and also will make photography a little more interesting.

cheers

Graham.

What a fantastic solution and very well built too. Great topic,will be following.

Cheers,

John

• RMweb Premium

I used the same bridge some 10 years ago in my layout St. Georg. And I used a similar technology. The track is laid flat but the baseboard goes down to form a valley.

29959842292_8cb3491792_b.jpgTreni in mostra 2007

Now a bit closer. This is a very early picture - the overhead line is not ready - I made it just over the bridge and in the following tunnel.29446930703_b9eca23df7_b.jpg[/url]DSC00368 .

Edited by Vecchio
  • Like 2

Thanks for your very interesting post. I really think that Kleinbahn should be better known in this country. As you will have realised, the layout will be full of compromises, the Trisanna bridge should be three times as long, Otztal station is much too short, although the track layout at the west end is correct for the 1960s/70s, the approach to Bludenz from the east is uphill rather than down, and the Arlberg tunnel portal will have a track over the top of it ! Still, as modellers, we are well used to compromise!      David.

Like it a lot, especially as I have an Austrian passport... :yes:

My first train set was from Kleinbahn, and also today I have several locomotives and coaches from this company. Some of the Austrian locomotives are only covered by Kleinbahn, so there is no way but to buy there stuff. As they changed from their own (and not very reliable) motor to Chinese can motors some 20 years ago these locomotives run reasonable good.

The small 92 series branch line steam locomotives is for instance one of the model which I haven't seen anywhere (at affordable prices). It was the locomotive serving the branchline from Wiener Neustadt to Puchberg am Schneeberg where also one of these locomotives is on a static display. And of course I have one as well :-)

By the way - the German company BRAWA also produces this model, but for 435 Euro they are already at the edge of affordable... (Kleinbahn currently 97 Euro)

Hope to hear more from your project!

• Informative/Useful 1

Very  nice  to  see  some 'Foreign'  action  on  here!

Must  admit  I tend  to  lean  in  that  direction  these  days  ( excluding  the   Southern EMU based  layout  that is!)

Currently in the   early stages  of  building a(nother)  Japanese  N  Gauge  layout

• Like 2

My interest moved over to the Austrian scene 3 years ago. I needed something different to stimulate my model making. To date this has

proved to be just the tonic. The models are just brilliant.

It is pleasing to see something continental on here. Looks to be an interesting project. Keep the posts coming.

Craig.

• Like 2

My interest moved over to the Austrian scene 3 years ago. I needed something different to stimulate my model making. To date this has

proved to be just the tonic. The models are just brilliant.

It is pleasing to see something continental on here. Looks to be an interesting project. Keep the posts coming.

Craig.

I admire your taste, Craig. From a fellow Austrian modeller.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/22983-bayerndorf-im-tirol/ . Really need to get back to some modelling.

Mike at C&M

Edited by 87029
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

Whilst i have done nothing my Dad has been busy doing some work to the layout, The terminal station which will represent Bludenz has been put into place, trackwork is loosely in place and awaiting ballasting and he has also been constructing a tunnel which helps the station avoiding line disappear.

I've knocked up a track plan this evening which will hopefully explain what goes were.

The blue sections will be\are hidden from normal viewing.

post-6774-0-46391000-1481576741.png

A few pictures of the New tunnel.

post-6774-0-34034100-1481576707_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-24109200-1481576730_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-16566100-1481576716_thumb.jpg

And finally Bludenz Station which sits above the Landeck fiddle yard (excuse the TGV, thats mine!).

post-6774-0-49044700-1481576722_thumb.jpg

cheers

Graham.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

Happy new year.

Work has been progressing on the layout, I'l do a proper update soon but heres a taster of whats going on.

Bludenz Station is gaining platforms, 9 mm ply is being glued down as a base then filler and kiln dried sand (airbrushed) will finish them off.

Dozens of Steam days help the gluing process!

post-6774-0-63198100-1483995085_thumb.jpg

A little teaser.

1010.07 and 1041.06 meet at the eastern portal of the Arlberg tunnel.

post-6774-0-24767700-1483995091_thumb.jpg

More to follow soon.

Graham & David.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hello all,

Spent a pleasant few hours working on the layout with me dad today, mainly boring electrical work but we did run a few trains, only problem is they were French!

My Dad and i have a french layout yet to be built and with plenty of stock piling up its nice to let it stretch its legs occasionally, I was also itching to test my latest addition, A jouef TGV in orange and silver very kindly bought by my parents.

cheers

Graham.

• Like 2

I've liked the Arlberg ever since I had to get a train from Feldkirch and couldn't work out whether I wanted to head towards Bregenz or Bludenz. The I cycled up the gorgeous Montafon valley, over the Bielerhohe and down the Paznaultal under the Trisanna Brucke. Gorgeous.

• Like 1

Just the kind of ride I'd love to do, if only I was Graham's age! He and I are planning a trip to France to discover some of the locations used in the film "The Train", and cycles will be a part of that, but at least it'll be relatively flat and not too far!

David.

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

No progress on my part but me dads been busy!

Popped in to see him yesterday and he's been ballasting various parts of the layout, he's also boxed in the corner from the the bridge to Oztal station, scenery shall be commencing quite soon!

post-6774-0-07053700-1501101032_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-82663700-1501101038_thumb.jpg

Graham.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hello all, 

New arrival and improvements.

Even though the layout is Austrian my Dads french collection is expanding quite rapidly, heres the latest beauty.

post-6774-0-98180400-1512337136_thumb.jpg

Whilst i was around today i attacked the 93, using a decent permanent marker i've coloured all the shiny metal on the valve gear and wheels toning it down making it much more realistic.  

before.

post-6774-0-98109400-1512337257_thumb.jpg

After.

post-6774-0-35045400-1512337249.jpg

Graham.

• Like 4

• 3 years later...

Hello all, 

3 and a half years on and progress is as speedy as always!  work has been  taking place and will be uploaded soon. unfortunately my dad prefers to run the the trains, ( which it’s all about isn’t it! ).

and so we present 

92158 which has been purchased by the OBB plus a BR brake van to operate iron ore trains to the Erzberg! 

more to follow soon. 

Graham 

Edited by shanks522
  • Like 1