O gauge 3-rail track

strangelygreen

I know nothing about vintage O gauge so am in need of a little advice. I'm looking to buy a small amount of coarse scale 3-rail track to run a vintage Hornby 20v loco. I've seen modern replica track is available. Should I go for this rather than vintage track? Are the two compatible? Can modern and old be joined? Is vintage french Hornby track the same as UK track? All advice very welcome. Thanks.

I should think that this is what you are looking for,Vintage track is liable to be rusty & or expensive,modern track is Nickle silver.I think that there are importers of Lionel 3 rail track in the UK,it`s worth a google.

Ray.

• RMweb Premium

I think the Lionel O gauge track is the same profile as Hornby O. There are differences in geometry -- common Lionel is about 15" radius; Hornby called theirs one-foot and two-foot radius. Lionel now supplies some wider radii, but they may not be common. There is a minor difference in the pins at the end of the sections: Lionel has 3 on one end while Hornby had 2 and 1.

O27 is a lighter track with an even tighter radius, with larger ones also available. Fastrack is a plastic trackbed with square profile rails. O27 was supposed to be a beginner's track, to be replaced by proper O eventually.

Lionel's O31 and O27 refer to diameters measured to the outside of the sleepers. (seriously!)

Or, you could try Maldon track, which is solid Code 200 NS (Peco rail, as used on their SM32 track), on ABS sleepers. Very nice track indeed, but I would say better suited to a permanent layout than as "pick up and put down" track. Equally at home indoors and out.

It is based on Maerklin and Hornby solid-rail track from the late 1930s, and comes with c38" radius points as standard, and a huge range of curve radii.

It accepts Hornby wheels, and many others, and Mr Fraser, who makes it, is one of the most helpful people I've ever met.

http://www.maldontrack.com

Kevin

If one wants the tinplate Hornby track , Alan Middleton in Australia makes a range. Especially useful in larger radii and double track. And points which have the lever on the other side so can be used with double track. There must have been a reason Hornby got this wrong. But I have no idea what it was.

He also does  similar in Gauge 1. Although rarely getting acknowledged it is used at a number of exhibition layouts.

Archived