Thorncombe Modelex 2016

devonseasider

A little late with the details this year, but here goes.

Thorncombe Modelex 2016

Saturday November 5th 2016

10:00 - 16:30

The Village Hall (& adjacent Primary School),  Thorncombe,  Dorset   TA20 4NE

Admission  £4   (children & TRAC members free)

Surplus income will go to Railway Preservation Charities.

We look forward to welcoming Michael Stanier to this year’s exhibition with some display items.

Michael is the grandson of Sir William Stanier, CME of the LMSR, and is himself a former Derby employee and a railway modeller.  We expect that he will be able to spend most of the day with us.

There will be approx. 15 working layouts covering a range of scales, gauges, prototype locations and time periods.  These will be supported by a number of trade stands offering new & used locos, rolling stock, track & accessories, also books and railwayana.

We will again have an area set aside for practical demonstrations & advice for both beginners and the more experienced.  This will feature members of the Buffers Bogies model railway group and John & Paul from CLAPHAM (CLevedon & PortisHead Armchair Modellers) with their “Modern Modelling” demonstration stand.  The Buffers Bogies group will be showing part of their new "Penhaven Quay" layout, still very much a “work in progress”, and will be pleased to explain how they have achieved it.  They meet on Wednesday afternoons at Buffers Model Railways just out of Axminster on the Chard road.

At the time of writing, layouts booked are:

A Small Yard                     late 1950s       East Midlands       00           Will Horsley

Acacia Avenue                  1975 - 83                                    00           Richard Slate

Brewhouse Lane                1970s/80s      “In the north”          00           Tom Hussey

Calstock's Halton Quay      1880              Tamar Valley         0n16.5     Chris Peacock

Coaley Junction                 early 1960s     Gloucestershire     00           Rob Whish

God's Hill                          1923 – 48       GWR                     0             Bob Thorne

Kilve                                 1950s/60s      Somerset coast     00           Darren Berry

Lakebank                          1920s/30s       Lake District         3mm       Launceston MRC

Lochsanda Tramway                                                           H0          Gareth Richards

Marsh Junction                  modern                                      00           Rob Blake/Robin Brown

Penhaven Quay                                      West Country        00           Buffers Bogies

Tipham                              1950s/60s      East Anglia           00           Steve Sims

Welton Down                     1991              S E England          2mm       Jim Allwood

Also, there's an "exhibition within an exhibition" from SWOONS  -  the South-West area group of the 009 Society.  They'll have a selection of working layouts, static displays and range of resource material.

Exhibits expected at time of writing include:

Gospel Cutting             -           Chas May

Purple Moose Quarry    -           Geoff Broadhurst, featuring Rod Allcock’s scratchbuilt locos.

Wychwood                   -           Keith Dyer

SWOONS display cabinet, including members’ stock amongst other items.

Trade support provided by:

Peco                               With a selection from their wide range of products
 Alan Corwood                    A selection of railway relics, railwayana etc.
 Rod Saunders                    Lots of good, used model railway items & accessories.
 Bob Jones                          Books & models at prices you can't afford to refuse!
 Ray Heard                          A small selection from Ray's huge stock of proprietary & kit-built models.
 Maple Trading Co.            Gifts for all the family & T-shirts/sweatshirts printed while you wait.

Platform 3 Models            Baseboard kits & DCC decoder fitting.  Also, layout design & build service.

Raffle, refreshments, snacks & lunches

(including Brenda's renowned homemade cakes!)

Free parking

Disabled-friendly

post-11812-0-33111900-1476401632_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder that it's this coming Saturday, November 5th.

Doors open to the public 10am.

"Official opening" by Mike Stanier, grandson of Sir William, about 10:15.

Bearing in mind the date, we're expecting the show to go off with a bang.

Unconfirmed rumours suggest any layouts not up to standard may be put to the torch in the evening   :scared:  

Just a reminder that it's this coming Saturday, November 5th.

Doors open to the public 10am.

"Official opening" by Mike Stanier, grandson of Sir William, about 10:15.

Bearing in mind the date, we're expecting the show to go off with a bang.

Unconfirmed rumours suggest any layouts not up to standard may be put to the torch in the evening   :scared:  

Will you be volunteering as Mr. Fawkes?.........

I know how much hard work that goes into this exhibition, so I hope it is well supported. A cracking selection of layouts and traders, just wish I could be there myself to enjoy it!

Look forward to lots of photos and reports after the show!

All the best Graham, you deserve a huge thank you for continuing to put together one of the best 'little' shows I have ever attended!

Thanks Mike.

Spent late afternoon/early evening shifting furniture, marking out floors, etc. as exhibitors/traders arrived.

Presently about 50 - 60% complete with remainder setting up early tomorrow ready for 10am opening.

It's only £4 entry (youngsters free) with any surplus income going to railway-based charities so do come & see us if you're within striking distance of the East Devon/West Dorset/South Somerset border country badlands.

Layouts include Lakebank, as featured in the current MRJ, and Welton Down, a lovely 2mm finescale model featuring southern electric traction, to name but two.  Don't forget that there's also a rare opportunity, especially for this part of the country, to chat with Mike Stanier, grandson of Sir William.

We're also promised decent weather for the day - quite a relief after the monsoon conditions of the last 2 years.

Hope to see some of you there - please come & say hello.

• RMweb Gold

I arrived over 20 minutes before opening, having allowed for non-existent traffic (I've never seen the A35 so quiet on a Saturday).

By the time I got inside, the renowned bacon roll and a cuppa (in a proper mug) had become Objective One. As ever, neither disappointed.

Thanks Graham and all your members and partners for again making Thorncombe the one-day show to beat, with a very good selection of layouts, a couple of which were completely new to me and others I'd only encountered once before. All set out in such a way as to allow everything to be viewed easily without impeding circulation.

A number of larger shows could learn a few lessons from TRAC.

John

I arrived over 20 minutes before opening, having allowed for non-existent traffic (I've never seen the A35 so quiet on a Saturday).

By the time I got inside, the renowned bacon roll and a cuppa (in a proper mug) had become Objective One. As ever, neither disappointed.

Thanks Graham and all your members and partners for again making Thorncombe the one-day show to beat, with a very good selection of layouts, a couple of which were completely new to me and others I'd only encountered once before. All set out in such a way as to allow everything to be viewed easily without impeding circulation.

A number of larger shows could learn a few lessons from TRAC.

John

Second that - and nice to drive home in sunshine.

To round off the story, awards were made as follows:

Jeff Tennant Trophy for Best in Show (as voted by visiting public) went to    Marsh Junction

which was marginally ahead of runners up   Calstock's Halton Quay   and   Coaley Junction.

The Chairman's Award (as voted by a small group of the TRAC team) was a very close race

between   Welton Down   and   Lakebank   with the former just edging it by a whisker.

Our thanks to Buffers Model Railways, Axminster for sponsoring the trophy & prizes for these layouts.

Our thanks also to Peco for their continuing support of some of the more mundane aspects of the show.

Finances have still to be sorted out but another healthy attendance means that we will again be able to

make a meaningful contribution to railway-related charities or good causes as decided by members.

Details to follow later.

Thanks to everyone who helped in any way to make the show a success, exhibitors & visitors alike - we do appreciate it.

Make a note in your diary for next year  -  Saturday 11th November (which will be our 15th show - where has that time gone?).

In the meantime, if you're within striking distance of Thorncombe, please come and join us at one of our monthly meetings.

3rd Wednesday of the month, 7:30 start.  See  https://sites.google.com/site/traclubsite/Home  for more details.

• RMweb Premium

Just about managed to get to Thorncombe this time, after various family commitments during the day.

Very glad I did.  An excellent show as usual with a wide variety of exhibits, excellent home-made cakes, and picked up a couple of secondhand gems.

Many thanks to Graham and his team.

And I didn't need my wellies this year...

Cheers, Dave.

Archived