Hornby Dublo pre-ringfield locos

Les1952

I've been asked this question by a friend (not on RMWeb) who is seriously thinking of going DCC.

He has a mixture of modern stuff and very old (ex-three rail) Hornby Dublo.  The modern stuff isn't an issue, nor will much of his middle aged stuff be.

However he has a few Hornby Dublo locos that are very old- including a 60-odd year old Duchess of Athol and a Golden Fleece which appears to date from when the prototype was running round with early crest.  There is also at least one N2 with the vertically mounted motor.   All of these are fine runners.  I have got the message across that these won't be cheap to convert, but they have a lot of sentimental value and he would want to DCC Fit them.  

Presumably they will need higher rated decoders as they draw a heavy current.  The questions are - can they be done?  and, if so, who would he go to for them to be fitted?  Lastly- are better wheels available for these locos?

The decision to go ahead hasn't yet been made, and will partly depend on how he takes to an extended play with Hawthorn Dene.

Alll the very best

Les

I have an old Duchess of Montrose, which I converted to 2 rail, so am familar with the type of chassis involved. I have to say that I doubt they can be done without having a new chassis made, this is because of the way the electricity reaches the motor as one brush is live to the chassis and I can't imagine anyway of easily insulating it without major modification. You would need to do this of course in order to insert the chip.

It can be done,you have to use an insulating tube on the non insulated brush holder using a bush G98 from Mtrains.it would mean drilling out the chassis to take the larger bush.

http://mainlytrains.webs.com/PriceList.htm

Ray.

Problem - Mainly Trains not trading at the moment as I understand it and it's not something I think your friend would wish to do. Much better to have a new chassis made and keep the original safe and unaltered to preserve collectable value.

Problem - Mainly Trains not trading at the moment as I understand it and it's not something I think your friend would wish to do. Much better to have a new chassis made and keep the original safe and unaltered to preserve collectable value.

Where did you get that info.John is trading as usual,i ordered some parts on friday & he has sent them & i should get them today.

Ray.

That's good to know. If he does decide to go ahead and do it, it will be well worth his while to upgrade the magnets at the same time (I think you'd have to dismantle the motor anyway), I did this on my old Duchess of Montrose and it now runs better than when it was new. I have no plans to DCC it though, as it doesn't fit in with my current interests. I just keep it for sentimental reasons as it was the first HD Loco I owned from my childhood.

The only problem with stripping HD motors especially vertical motors is that they do lose their magnetism to a certain degree,Meccano quoted 20% loss.I used to fit super neo magnets but found they were a bit hit & miss.Because i restore & repair my locos,i bought a remagnetiser to restore the performance of the locos.Inormally give a one second pulse acrooss the magnet,again across the pole pieces with the armature in circuit & again across the magnet.The performance of this loco was pretty dire until it was remagnetised.

Ray.post-4249-0-85725700-1476884578_thumb.jpg

Archived