Mark 2z and 2A appearance differences

For a particular train I need some Mark 2z [original production series type] TSO coaches. These haven't been produced recently by Bachmann [and seem to be as rare as hen's teeth 2nd hand!] , but 2A stock is available. I was wondering if there were any major differences in appearance that would make it impossible to backdate Bachmann 2As to 2Zs? It would appear from Harris's book the bodyshell is the same. [i am aware the corridor connections / doors differ and the prototype 2As were only air braked which might mean the models underframes are different.]

Jeremy

Edited by JeremyC
  • Like 1

I have posted these before but it was quite a while ago:

Mk2a FK above with Mk2 TSO below, note the air brake distributor on the Mk2a:

post-7112-0-12300900-1477921186_thumb.jpg

Close up of the air-brake distributor:

post-7112-0-90381900-1477921186_thumb.jpg

Underneath of Mk2a FK above (small air brake cylinders) and Mk2 TSO below (larger vacuum brake cylinders):

post-7112-0-34095900-1477921185_thumb.jpg

The ends of the coachs. Mk2a FK to the left, Mk2 TSO to the right:

post-7112-0-04357700-1477921154_thumb.jpg

As you have said, you know of these differences anyway. Apart from these there is no difference between the TSO, BSO and BFK types. The FK coaches had totally different passenger and toilet windows in the Mk2 FK but the Bachmann Mk2 FK is currently available anyway. In addition the following Mk2a coaches were converted to vacuum brakes in 1976/77 so can also be used (along with Inter-City still on the bodysides):

SC13434, 35, 36, 37

W13438, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

E13446, 47, 50, 70, 74

W14058, 60, 61, 62, 64, 66, 68, 85

SC14059, 83, 87, 91, 95, 99

E14094

(1978 allocations)

One other thing to note is the incorrect roof for the Bachmann BFK (both Mk2 and Mk2a), a corrected one is shown below:

post-7112-0-49867900-1477921888_thumb.jpg

Edited by Flood
  • Informative/Useful 2

Flood.

Thanks for the information. I probably should have mentioned the train I'm making up is the 1966 'Granite City' Railtour, which included Mk2 TSOs in the formation and northbound was V2 hauled over the Waverley Route.

Jeremy

• Like 2

Flood.

Thanks for the information. I probably should have mentioned the train I'm making up is the 1966 'Granite City' Railtour, which included Mk2 TSOs in the formation and northbound was V2 hauled over the Waverley Route.

Jeremy

Mk2Z had a Mark 1 style corridor connector door (as can been seen on earlier end on photo). I needed a couple of the Mk2Z TSOs and spent probably more than they are worth getting them from the Usual Auction Site. But then again, a lot of other people wanted the same.

Ian S

Has anyone removed the corridor connecting doors from their Mk2a's and if so is it a simple push out job or more involved? I simply removed the air brake distributor and re-numbered mine and put them in the middle of a rake but for some reason it annoys me a bit.

Has anyone removed the corridor connecting doors from their Mk2a's and if so is it a simple push out job or more involved? I simply removed the air brake distributor and re-numbered mine and put them in the middle of a rake but for some reason it annoys me a bit.

I have done it, in fact I swapped them between types, but they are pretty firmly glued in. There is a slot in the end of the coach that the inside door moulding slots into which makes the join pretty solid.

The problem I had was trying to swap the two different types of doors over. They appear to only fit with their matching corridor connection so when trying to swap the doors you have to take off and swap the whole corridor connection moulding as well. And those corridor connections can be a real tough job to take off.

Looking at a Mk2a though you should be able to take out the folding doors and replace them with plain plastikard (and a door handle if you can be bothered) instead.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

You can also detail a Hornby Mark2 specially an early one.

Extreme Etches window frames and Replica B4s

That was plan 'A', but I'm coming to the conclusion it's more hassle than they're worth.

Jeremy

Edited by JeremyC

• 2 weeks later...

great thread this

You can also detail a Hornby Mark2 specially an early one.

Extreme Etches window frames and Replica B4s

I'm going to have to change the bogies on my Hornby Mk2 as it has a B4 one end and a B1 the other!

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

G'Day All,

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd resurrect this one - would anybody be able to confirm what Mk2/Mk2z coaches that Bachmann produced and what their part numbers where? Try to track down an couple and not sure exactly if the ones I have found are being advertised correctly or not.

Secondly where any of the 'specials' that Bachmann produced for the likes of Modelzone suitable for the early Mk2 stock?

Thanks in advance

James

TSO 39-350 and 39-351

BFK 39-400 and 39-401

FK 39-330 and 39-330A

BSO 39-370 and 39-371

The Modelzone 39-350Z pack had a Mk2 TSO and a Mk2a BSO

The Modelzone 39-330Z pack had a Mk2 FK

Standard release coaches ending in 0 did not have Inter-City on the side, releases ending in 1 did have Inter-City.

I think that's it for the vacuum braked Mk2 stock.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 hours ago, Flood said:

TSO 39-350 and 39-351

BFK 39-400 and 39-401

FK 39-330 and 39-330A

BSO 39-370 and 39-371

The Modelzone 39-350Z pack had a Mk2 TSO and a Mk2a BSO

The Modelzone 39-330Z pack had a Mk2 FK

Standard release coaches ending in 0 did not have Inter-City on the side, releases ending in 1 did have Inter-City.

I think that's it for the vacuum braked Mk2 stock.

Thanks Flood, perfect. Just what I wanted.

Just picked up a Mk2 BSO (the correct one thankfully!). I'm finding that many are advertised as "MK2" but are in fact MK2A according to part numbers.

Thanks once again!

James