Stripping Arnold N scale

Hello,

I have an Arnold N scale 2242 Hanomag 0-4-0T which I'm converting into a Japanese private railway loco of the 1950's (sounds odd to uninitiated ears but the Japanese bought hundreds of small steamers from German builders prior to the 1920's, many lasted into active service into the 1970's) and after having milled the lower (footplate) set of headlights I now need to repaint the loco. Trouble is, the paint Arnold used on the loco seems to be unremovable (kudos to German quality!) - I tried dunking it in paint remover, no luck; isopropyl alcohol, keine glück...it just won't budge. Any ideas? In another forum it was suggested I use brake fluid...shell and frame are white metal.

DSC_0704.jpg

DSC_0705.jpg

Cheers NB

Brake fluid might work but make sure it is the old fashioned type not the newer synthetic one. I used it to strip aerosol spray paint off a loco a few days ago, that came off but the original finish remained.

I have heard of oven cleaner and caustic soda being used but with them you need to be very careful.i

Brake fluid is generally safe on most plastics.

• 2 weeks later...

Mornin'

I've successfully used Mr Muscle foaming oven cleaner. Body only, obviously. Didn't attack metal or plastic but will separate glued joints. Leave to soak overnight, or maybe longer, wrapped up in a sandwich bag or clingfilm so it can't dry out. Second applications may be required. Clean off with old toothbrush. Other than that, try cellulose thinners and a stiff brush, on metal parts only.

HTH

Archived