Bachmann Sodor Ironworks 08 wheelbase question

Neil

• RMweb Premium

I was wondering if any one has one of the Bachmann Thomas Sodor Ironworks diesel shunters and could they measure the wheelbase for me. I have a fancy to build a Belgian pannier tank for which I need an outside frame 0-6-0 chassis, unfortunately the standard UK 08 is too long. The Thomas range shunter looks to have a different chassis from the BR 08, I wonder if it has a more compact wheelbase?

Many thanks.

I was wondering if any one has one of the Bachmann Thomas Sodor Ironworks diesel shunters and could they measure the wheelbase for me. I have a fancy to build a Belgian pannier tank for which I need an outside frame 0-6-0 chassis, unfortunately the standard UK 08 is too long. The Thomas range shunter looks to have a different chassis from the BR 08, I wonder if it has a more compact wheelbase?

Many thanks.

I suspect it's more likely to be longer, Neil; it is the chassis that was also used in the Jinty, the Pannier, and various Triang models going back into the 1950s, which seemed to have had a lot of space between axles. Perhaps it might be easier to pick up an Electrotren 0-6-0 chassis from Hattons or Golden Valley?

I suspect it's more likely to be longer, Neil; it is the chassis that was also used in the Jinty, the Pannier, and various Triang models going back into the 1950s, which seemed to have had a lot of space between axles. Perhaps it might be easier to pick up an Electrotren 0-6-0 chassis from Hattons or Golden Valley?

I think this is the Bachmann US model that Neil is talking about, not the Hornby one which is, as you suggest, based on the Jinty chassis. The Bachmann one is on a completely different chassis but unfortunately I don't have one to hand to measure.

Chassis length is 100mm (80mm from the front of the chassis to the back of the wheels if you cut off the excess aluminium) 

From wheel centre to wheel centre is 20mm (40mm over the 3 wheels)

Wheel diameter is 14mm

Crank pins and con rods stick 10mm out from the wheels

You can also buy just the chassis from Bachmann US (but its $20 postage to the UK!)

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_93_612&products_id=6340

Will be happy to post any pics you might need?

Bob

• RMweb Premium

Hello Bob, that's brilliant many thanks. I'm not sure if I need any photos yet, I'll need to drag out my pannier tank drawing and see how the dimensions match up but tahnks for the offer, much appreciated.

Archived