A Christmas holiday project

Hi Andy,

I hope you can find the motivation to continue with your layout, it's hard with lifes problems and I have had times of a lack of motivation too, once you start though, it's surprising how it comes back.

Best wishes,

Jerry.

I look forward to seeing what you do with it. With a layout in a space like this, I find it can be hard not to make it look forced into the space. But the way you've got the buildings and the track laid out, it very convincingly evokes that cramped urban industrial feel.

• 7 months later...

Where did this come from? An update on this project in the middle of one of the hottest summers we have had in years. Surely this can't be true?

The micro 2ft x 1ft project did not receive the expected attention during the last festive season and has been gathering dust in the garage. The broken point has eroded motivation because it needed tearing up and replacing.

The layout has now been removed from store and relocated. During a break from a few chores I have taken the bull by the horns and ripped up the offending track. The board now awaits the laying of replacement track.

post-13478-0-67202000-1531951676_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Yes, yes, I know Christmas was over a month ago! It is funny how the modelling mojo can be reignited. Since my last post, back in 2018, the layout has had a rather quiet life. For about a year it sat on top of the Humbrol paint stand in my shop, A2B Model Railways, supporting a framed picture and some second models. More recently it has returned home as small test track for locos in for repair - but then it happened! Yesterday I arrived home to find my wife had been shopping to a certain Swedish furniture shop. The result was a brand new coffee table, and the old Argos version was sat in pieces awaiting recycling. My eyes fell on the legs, and in typical railway modeller fashion decided that they could be reused. Two were promptly attached to the underneath of the layout board to act as a support. A spare piece of wood was then attached to create a backscene and things moved on quickly from there. 

The replacement track was glued down, a Gaugemaster backscene attached and some Metcalfe brick sheets attached to the polystyrene block. Originally this block was due to support a low relief building - now I have other plans. Watch this space. Later tonight, I added more polystyrene to act as a support structure for the grain store / loading dock.  I have also added some Metcalfe sheets to extend the roof towards the backscene. Things look a little different in the latest photo (shown below). It has been nice to get some modelling done. I think that this may have been my first piece of modelling since Fawley Hill last June.

IMG_8712.JPG.01d2c7c84dcb8a33b730bd2aa88e524a.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks Jerry. Yes this last week has been my first piece of modelling since June last year when I took part in the Great Model Railway Challenge. Running the shop has taken up most of my time, but I am pleased to get back to it. Hopefully I can report on more progress soon. Due to changes at home, all my layout projects had been confined to storage, but this one is small enough to find a corner somewhere!