A Christmas holiday project

The Christmas period has not been the greatest with my wife being ill from just before the big day. As I was in the garage constructing a bike for my daughter's Christmas present my eyes fell on a spare piece of MDF board left over from a previous layout project. At just 2ft X 1ft it was the not biggest find but it got the brain cooking.

After two days I had played around with some left over pieces of track and came up with a simple shunting track plan. Today the track has been glued down and I have experimented with some low relief buildings that were bought for an unfinished project. Here is the progress so far. No layout name yet.

post-13478-0-84628000-1482790630_thumb.jpegpost-13478-0-20558100-1482790655_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

Hopefully bike ok! as model looks a good diversion and importantly did your wife make a full recovery or enjoy your crimbo dinner efforts ! 

I guess it wants an 0-4-0 shunter really as the 3F dominates.

Robert

The bike was well received. Sadly my wife, Sarah, is still not totally recovered. Fortunately we were at the inlaws for Christmas dinner so her mum was on cooking duty. Sarah managed to eat only a small amount.

As for the project I agree that the layout would best suit a smaller loco. It was originally tested with the 0-4-0 from the Hornby Santa Express set. The larger locomotive was used to check clearances so I have the option of running something bigger if I want to. In my mind I will probably look to purchase a Hornby Peckitt as that would be best suited to the small size of this layout.

Thanks Andy. She has just two tablets of her antibiotics left so she can actually have her first Christmas drink soon. She is making slow progress. As for layout it should allow me to practise a few little things I want to do on Skaleby Quay.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

That's a great start you've made. It's definitely a small industrial scene that's crying out for one of the new Hornby Peckett's. will follow with interest.

Hope the wife feels better soon.

Regards Paul.

Small progress so far today. The sleepers have had a coat of brown paint to "weather" them. This has been left to dry before ballasting can take place. Hopefully you can see the progress in the attached picture. The layout is placed in front of Skaleby West hence the greenery behind.

post-13478-0-64348900-1482947135_thumb.jpeg

Edited by andyram
  • Like 2

This evening has seen more progress. Once the paint had had time to dry I set to work on the ballasting. I mixed a blend of black and dark brown Woodland Scenics fine grade ballast and applied it in the time honoured way. The resulting dark tone seems to fit with the industrial setting.

I have used some left over DAS modelling clay to create a cobbled area around the sidings at the front. This is my first attempt at creating cobbles in this way and is a practise for my quay side area on my Skaleby Quay layout.

The latest progress can be seen in the picture below.

post-13478-0-91918900-1482968818_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

Still looking for a name but at least I have some suitable motive power. I managed to track down one of the blue liveried Peckett saddle tanks today. All being well it should arrive tomorrow. I am genuinely pleased and excited. It will totally suit this layout.

• Like 1

Still looking for a name but at least I have some suitable motive power. I managed to track down one of the blue liveried Peckett saddle tanks today. All being well it should arrive tomorrow. I am genuinely pleased and excited. It will totally suit this layout.

Did you get it from Tutbury Models, (formely Tutbury Jinny), Barry still had a couple left when I was there on Wednesday?

Did you get it from Tutbury Models, (formely Tutbury Jinny), Barry still had a couple left when I was there on Wednesday?

No. Hattons had limited stock of the blue liveried one available online this morning. Should be here tomorrow. I will post photographs if / when it arrives.

No. Hattons had limited stock of the blue liveried one available online this morning. Should be here tomorrow. I will post photographs if / when it arrives.

Never mind mate, you could have picked it up from Tutbury this morning, and be running it this after noon.

Never mind mate, you could have picked it up from Tutbury this morning, and be running it this after noon.

I must admit I had forgotten about the Tutbury shop. Probably a good job though, I needed to get some school paperwork done today and a new loco may have distracted me.

The shunting yard is yet to receive its allocated Peckett. However it should arrive on Wednesday. Today it has been the turn of my Beattie Well Tank to work the layout. No more scenic work completed yet, hopefully more progress to report soon.post-13478-0-00984100-1483370811_thumb.jpeg

Edited by andyram

It has finally arrived. The Peckett was delivered today and what a brilliant model it is. Here it is seen posed on the shunting layout. I tried to run it today, but there are a few track problems. The rails needed cleaning after ballasting and some ballast needs removing from the points to allow good electrical contact. That will be the next job.

post-13478-0-50701500-1483655275_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

This evening I tackled the track cleaning and the removal of stray ballast. This seemed to take a while and I still cannot get smooth running. I can get the loco to run into the loading platform but I cannot get smooth running into the two other sidings. It also looks like the first point has lost its spring so it may need replacing. That is a huge setback.

I will keep working on the cleaning and removal of stray ballast in hope I can get the layout working properly before I contemplate any track removal.

Here is today's test train shown with all buildings removed from the plank.

post-13478-0-64480000-1484523652_thumb.jpeg

• 10 months later...

The snow is falling outside and the Christmas lights are twinkling. Whilst stashing some presents away in the garage my eyes fell on the small baseboard that formed this project. Following the last Christmas holiday, the project stalled because of the lack of consistent running. This was due to the spring on the first point failing. This will need replacing and it caused me to lose my motivation. But with just five more days until I break up for another Christmas holiday, I am beginning to consider reviving the project. I will need a new left and point and will need to try remove the old one and then relay. The motivation for this is beginning to return.

• Like 2