Farmer's Drove late 70s in the fens

sf315

Will keep this brief as I could go on for ages.

Early 80s up to the 31/4's commencing Mk1s prevailed. Once the 31/4s began to work in around 1983 Mk2Zs were the norm although the was usually a Mk1 in the rake.

Most types of Mk2 have seen use but you are safe with the current Mk2s produces by Farish although there is no BFK available, most rakes ran with a BSO & a declassified BFK.

The BFK conversion is not difficult.

The Cambridge-Bham rake and the Peterborough-Harwichs were generally load 4.

There are plenty of pics out there if you search Flickr or the like.

As mentioned 25s were occasional performers if short or following failures, although March tended to rip them off and replace with a 31.

45s and 47s were not uncommon replacements either.

HTH

Scott

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello all

After a long time boxed up it’s time to get the layout ready for its first outing of the year at the East Anglian Model Railway Exhibition at the Arena in Kettering we’ll be running in the late 70s mode as not got all the stock sorted yet for moving the timeframe forward to the early to mid 80s. 

Other  shows for the layout this year are Hazel Grove in October and in November at Spalding one I am really looking forward to as it’s right in the area the layout is set so should be interesting to see what the folks from the area reckon to it. 

Hopefully we’ll see some of you at the shows 

thanks Steve. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all 

I have been giving the layout a test run and running the stock I intend to use at the St Neots MRC show at Kettering in a fortnights time. All seems to be running ok and I’ll have the plastic brummy helping me at Kettering. 

Looking forward to this show and I think it’ll be a great success. 

See you there 

Steve. 

B20FB28F-B343-4586-8E4C-D822818D13C8.jpeg

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello all 

Not much has been happening with the layout since June but it’s being readied for its last two outings for the year at Hazel Grove on the 26/27 October and then the following weekend at a show I was keen to exhibit the layout at Spalding as it’s where the layout is based to the south of Spalding out on the fens. 

To coincide with its appearance at Spalding the layout should be featured in Railway Modeler which comes out tomorrow. 

Thanks and hopefully see some of you at the shows. 

Steve. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

After a good show last weekend at Hazel Grove the layout and has been titivated and the stock checked ready for its last outing of the year at Spalding.

This will be a real tester for the layout as it’s on it’s home soil it’ll be interesting to see how it’s received.

looking forward to the weekend 

hopefully see some of you there.

Thanks Steve. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Readying the layout for its first show of the year at Stafford this weekend. Always a good show and half an hour down the road for me so local too. 

Other shows for Farmers Drove this year are Shenfield in September and Warley show at the NEC in November. 

Thanks Steve. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I saw this incredible railway at Stafford in 2020. I just keep getting drawn back to the pictures of it, even after a couple of years. For many reasons I personally I think this is the best ever layout. Thank you, Steve for the entertainment and inspiration. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MartynA said:

I saw this incredible railway at Stafford in 2020. I just keep getting drawn back to the pictures of it, even after a couple of years. For many reasons I personally I think this is the best ever layout. Thank you, Steve for the entertainment and inspiration. 

Thank you for the above comments Martyn most appreciated. 

The layout is stored and it’s next show should be Warley in 2022 if it goes ahead. 

• 4 months later...

Well 2 years since the layout has seen the light of day but I’ve got it set up and running a few locomotives around.  

I’ve got two invites for the layout Warley in November and Glasgow next February. 

When I set it up on Monday I was surprised it all worked ok even the signals moved when the switch was flicked. I gave it a good clean and like I said running stuff around. 

43014439-3F48-4D6D-86AC-49F14E9D1245.jpeg

• Like 11

• 5 months later...

Readying the layout for Warley show at the NEC. I gave my regional 142 a run around the layout and I don’t think it looks out of place. Not sure they ever run March Spalding sort of area when they were introduced. 

Plus running late 70s and they weren’t around then. 

I’ll just stick to my Cravens 105. 

Other odd items of stock should be finished for Warley. 

5F767FD8-3B8C-4125-9E4F-CA4775342D1F.jpeg.d61734fe5c306507e293227e8b948d01.jpeg

• Like 6

Fantastic layout it really captures the character of  the railways of the fens ,your locos and stock are spot on,i look forward to some updates when you use your mid 80s stock railfreight grey 31s blue cravens blue and grey 101s and the then 150 sprinter units will look well at home on your splendid layout,brings back some great memorys of the times i spent as a young man  from 1984 to 1986 rideing behind class 31s on the Norwich Birminghams,  i love the railways of the fens even today despite the fact that the loco hauled passenger trains have gone i still describe the trains and railways of this region as fenland magic!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Readying the layout for Warley show the trains I’ve decided to run are on the layout. The new items of stock are completed and on the layout. 

We’ll be running in it’s late 1970s guise as I’ve not quite got all the stock for a early to mid 80s era as yet. 

Looking forward to the show as I’ve always enjoyed Warley show either as an exhibitor or visitor. 

The next outing for the layout is next February when it’s north of the boarder for Modelrail Scotland in Glasgow. 

Hello

Sadly the layouts big brother Fenchurch St Peter has now been sold. Gone to a good home though. See you at Glasgow I hope Steve.

Cheers

George

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 21/10/2022 at 08:02, sf315 said:

I gave my regional 142 a run around the layout and I don’t think it looks out of place. Not sure they ever run March Spalding sort of area when they were introduced. 

Hi Steve 

The pacers never ran in East Anglia, but the original prototype unit - LEV1 did run in the area especially on the East Suffolk Line. 

Regards 

Nick 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1