Correct loco bogie shade

Hi Guys

Believe it or not, I am struggling to find a correct colour / shade to weather bogies on my diesel loco's

I have tried several off the shelf colours offered by the Lifecolor's and Humbrol's of this world, but I can't get it right.

This is not helped where the manufacturer has applied a gallon of oil around that area for lubrication, and the finish dries shiny

The Bachmann Class 66 is a perfect example of this, but obviously that has to be removed before applying and paint.

Can anyone share with me the colours / shades you use that looks the part that you yourselves use please

Thanks

Ronnie

Hi Ronnie

Probably depends on how heavily weathered you want the loco to appear, and whether you want it to look rusty or not. The area of operation can make a difference to the colour as well. Personally I use mainly Humbrol weathering powders; for locomotives I usually use Dark Earth with a touch of Rust thrown in to lighten the colour a bit.

• RMweb Premium

Your first issue is to remove the paint which has turned glossy from the oil and then take out the wheels and wash these in white spirit to remove the grease. Replace the lost lubricant later with the oil sold for modellers in tubular applicators. 

As said, dirt varies in colour. For a class 66 on a dry day I'd use Railmatch frame dirt. The photo here is the best I can find at the moment. Clearly, there has been some wet weather (it's the West Highlands!) and the loco has been away from a cleaner for a couple of days (Blyth to Fort William and back overnight), meaning that the dirt has been able to dry. This gives an almost perfect match for Railmatch frame dirt, and the colour is more or less uniform all over, which might look odd on a model.  

post-708-0-76593500-1484383981.jpg

If the wet weather is more recent, the bogies turn greyer, so mix the frame dirt with some black. 

However, the way I paint 66 bogies is different, but I model them in 2006-ish condition, when EWS still put them through a cleaner - your case may be different. My method is the following: Railmatch frame dirt over all the underframe, taking special care to get it into all the nooks and crannies of the frame proper and the bogies. I then wipe off the paint (after about 20 mins, and with thinners-damped cotton buds) on the parts which used to be exposed to the mechanical washer brushes - the protrusions on the bogie frames above each axle, the battery box, parts of the fuel tank, the edge of the the sand boxes, and the box behind the buffers, below the cab. You then have a choice: for a loco which is starting to get dirty again, spray a thin mix over these exposed areas, so that you get a contrast of thick muck on uncleaned areas, and transparent muck on the recently cleaned ones. Or, for a loco which is recently out of the cleaner and is working in dry weather, leave Bachmann's satin black exposed amidst the muck. 

To mix your own bogie paint colours you'll need matt black,matt white, a matt red oxide colour and matt yellow. With these you can get any shade that existed.

As stated, you'll need to degrease your bogies and remove as much lubricant off the gears and bogie towers as you can or it will creep back onto the bogie frames and turn gloss again.

I don't get how the Bachmann factory weathered bogies don't suffer from the gloss lube creep. Did they lay off the lube for these.

Archived