GWR Branch - Castle Down. Mostly GWR with an odd SR working

sjrixon

That's a nice locomotive (the Radial). Only trouble is that unless the Severn Valley Railway Company saved the sole survivor in 1960 and also at the same time bought the line to the exchange sidings with Kinlet Colliery then I'll have to leave it.

• RMweb Gold

The Radial is a lovely looking loco and a cracking runner.  Oxford have done a nice job. I still wait with baited breath over their Dean Goods, there has just been too much bad press on the small errors.. I don't think there is a huge Southern pull for me, just a small smattering to add some colour.

On to another question then :) When did the GWR introduce seats for both the driver and fireman? And also employ some very small people too..

post-19113-0-01854800-1517039857_thumb.jpg

I think it's time this Mogul went under the knife.

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 1

To try and answer that question I've had a look at the photos taken. No one appears to be resting their arms, but I seem to recall there being backs to the seats.

But don't forget that the fireman wouldn't have always been sat down - if he wasn't shovelling coal, he would be checking the signals or if stationary cooking the bacon!

• RMweb Gold

It was said more tongue in cheak as I though they looked really silly.

I agree.....apart from anything else the crew are under scale. I took crew and chair out using needle nose pliers...like extracting teeth....and replaced them with standard airfix/Monty's crew

Regards

The Radial is a lovely looking loco and a cracking runner.  Oxford have done a nice job. I still wait with baited breath over their Dean Goods, there has just been too much bad press on the small errors.. I don't think there is a huge Southern pull for me, just a small smattering to add some colour.

On to another question then :) When did the GWR introduce seats for both the driver and fireman? And also employ some very small people too..

IMAG0999_zpssdxjh4ai.jpg

I think it's time this Mogul went under the knife.

Hi Scott,

It looks like the LNER has been exporting a few creature comforts to a mogul...

Yikes!

All the best,

Castle

i started out with the intention of a GW branch with some Soutthern interlopers in the form of an 02 and a Well Tank, now i have an SR branch with GW interlopers - beware of the Southern pull.

Know what you mean...lol....  3 west country and an adams get diverted to little marley now and again... :)

• RMweb Gold

I've had a nice flurry of comments and feedback.. Thanks to everyone for stopping by :)

We have a working name, thanks to my Daughter. So anyone who has young kids might recognise this one.. 'Castle Down'. Somewhere near the south coast, where the Southern and GWR meet in the shared station. It's a busy location as there is the brewery, dairy and general merchandise.  There will also be regular workings for fruit, crops and other produce from the local farms. Should keep it very busy!

I'm sure many of you have done this before, but, I bought some T-Cut this week. So now the GWR has been removed from the Mogul's tender. It was quite scary, I didn't want to wreck it. But in the end it was fine, a couple of cotton buds, some fairly hard rubbing and they came off. 

post-19113-0-73826800-1517039910_thumb.jpg

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Not much happened over the weekend.. Went to the Williams F1 collection, if you like that kind of thing I can highly recommend it. Very nice afternoon seeing F1 cars from 1978 till the present day. 

I use photopaper to print my brick paper, this gives a nice print and I find it works better than printing onto standard white paper. It does however have quite a shine to it, even after a few coats of matt varnish. The platform had been bothering me and I was concerned how much it would tone down, even after some weathering, so I did a small test area. 

What do people think?

post-19113-0-74593000-1517039979_thumb.jpg

Front edge needs some work as the runs are showing.

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Mogul is back in service! The tender is now a nice Great Western, I painted the backhead after taking the silly sit down crew out. The cab has also had the windows replaced with Glass and Glaze from the nice people at deluxe materials. Fall plate, coal and a crew completes the picture.

post-19113-0-40239900-1517040009_thumb.jpg

I'm going to build some fire irons to drop onto the coal, but that can wait.

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I planned last night to set out the fencing and get the station building closer to completion.

But..

I found anything other than a short wheelbase van was hitting the platform in the bay. So, instead I lifted it and yes, it's over a baseboard joint! Very frustrated, but now is the time to fix it!

• RMweb Gold

Baseboard is fine.. 

It's the fact of removing both sections, replacing the section off the point, replacing 4 screws for the join and the 4 cables. Just to move it over 1cm! All the track is also painted, so the new section will also need painting. 

• RMweb Gold

I've been playing with JMRI's Sound Decoder Pro over the weekend.. There are some pretty serious limitations with it, but it's certainly an interesting project. I've tweaked the standard steam file to try and speed match the pannier better, I've also added my own whistle, but the loop isn't quite right so not great, but proves it can be done..

Just a very, very quick demo..

• Like 2