Brake Van Ventilators In 4mm

JohnH

I'm refurbishing a few Airfix Brake Vans. I'm removing the old moulded ventilators and stove pipe and I'm trying to source a supply of the ventilators as used on the BR 'standard' brake vans.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks for any help.

I've used the ones for coaches in the past - try MJT being part of Dart Castings. They usually go to the Nottingham Show if you're anywhere near those parts, which is a just over a couple of weeks away.

Alternatively Wizard Models which includes various brands such as Comet may be of help.

John.

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget that the old Airfix kit's roof is a mirror image of the prototype, so don't just replace the moulded detail with better one in the same positions.

I think I used MJT torpedo vents on my ones, plus a section of thin-walled metal tube for the stovepipe.

Don't forget that the old Airfix kit's roof is a mirror image of the prototype, so don't just replace the moulded detail with better one in the same positions.

I think I used MJT torpedo vents on my ones, plus a section of thin-walled metal tube for the stovepipe.

Thanks CloggyDog - The main reason why I'm removing the old ones is to correct the roof layout fault on the Airfix model :)

There are very good articles in Model Railway Journal issues 211 and 212 which suggest that there isn't anything wrong with the actual lookouts, they're just in slightly the wrong place and details rectification of the problem. They also detail construction of the Dave Bradwell chassis kit and many other mods.

• RMweb Premium

I think it's worth replacing the whole roof while you're at it, as the moulded roof looks too thick to me.  It's easy enough, a piece of 20 thou Plastikard taped to an empty wine bottle then filled with boiling water ... 

There are very good articles in Model Railway Journal issues 211 and 212 which suggest that there isn't anything wrong with the actual lookouts, they're just in slightly the wrong place and details rectification of the problem. They also detail construction of the Dave Bradwell chassis kit and many other mods.

Ah. I thought you were talking about the old Airfix kit. The articles are still good reference though.

Archived