Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, KNP said:

Still waiting

IMG_1441.jpg.87e6d6c53e9db79e577a0337032d03c8.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg.ce12ab759e575c8f07a44f7bb62d4ca4.jpg

I hate to do this, especially as your modelling is so very much better than mine, but the signal is incorrect.  A distant arm on the same post as the home signal is not possible, for several reasons.  

1) If it is the distant for Little Muddle box, then it should be 440 yards further back from the home signal, which is the upper arm on this post.  

2) A lower arm distant signal is only provided on the starter or advanced starter post in the rear of the box controlling it, in cases where the section between the starter/advanced starter and the next box's home or outer home is less than 440 yards.  

3) Little Muddle is a terminus, and a distant on one of it's signal posts must  per se refer to the next box; there is no next box.

You can either reposition the distant further back towards Encombe Jc, but given the space you have it will look too close to Encombe's branch starters and too close to LM's home, though if anyone can arrange scenery and visual breaks to 'get away' with this it's you, Kev, or reposition is as a lower arm on Encombe Jc's starter posts.  You have already done this on the bay starter but the down main starter's branch dollpost needs one as well.

You need a lower arm fixed distant in the other direction as well, on LM's starter.  As it is fixed, it implies that a low speed approach to Encombe's branch home at less than 40mph is needed; what is the speed limit on the branch?  Incidentally, LM's starter is in an odd place, and I would expect it to be nearer the station where it can protect shunting movements from the reception loop or siding out on to the branch.

I feel horrible criticising your layout, and apologise profusely.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, KNP said:

Well now you come to mention it......

I was told the Prairies should never been seen together but it would also apply to loco's and animals.

So we are both right... 

The "Cardi-Bach" branch line (Whitland to Cardigan) was quite steep and windy. (I mean windy, not windy...) Small prairies were the perfect fit for goods duties on this line.

It was common to double-head the heavier goods trains with two small prairies and I'm sure I read somewhere that occasionally, to save a light engine movement, a third was added*! That would have been a sight!

(* One day I'll track down where I read that but at the moment I can't back it up with a reference, unfortunately.)

Edited by Harlequin
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Simond said:

I recall reading that it was standard practice to double head some summer trains, can’t recall it it was St Ives or Newquay, with a pair of 45’s

atb

Simon

Definitely at St Ives, notably the Saturday Cornish Riviera with ten coaches. I've only ever seen photos of 4500s, not 4575s. Newquay also had a lot of double-headers on summer Saturdays but as often as not two 4-6-0s or a 4-6-0 plus a tank. Sometimes down trains were banked as far as Luxulyan too. A single-track branch with three locos on a fifteen-coach train? You'd never see that on the prototype...

R. Ivet-Counter

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

2858.JPG.703d23e99d392a44768c9ccb696542ec.JPG

I brought some new pigs some time ago from Langley to finish the pig sty but I have stored them in a safe place.

We all have one of those, you know you have put them somewhere but can you remember where.....!

Then I'll decide to order some replacements (if I can of course) and when they arrive the original ones will turn up.

For the moment the pigs are inside resting!!!!!

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

This sometimes works for me and might save you a bit of time and money. Imagine  the replacement  pigs have arrived. You need to put them somewhere safe. Where will you put them? Good chance  the originals will be there....

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, KNP said:

I brought some new pigs some time ago from Langley to finish the pig sty but I have stored them in a safe place.

We all have one of those, you know you have put them somewhere but can you remember where.....!

Maybe they flew south for the winter and forgot to come back.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

I would have a sniff around the locomotive shed (literally) for the smell of frying bacon.

You may have an Oh Mr Porter situation, where the farmer thought that Harbottle had put the pigs on a freight bound for Belfast.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I know where the pigs are. They are in the crate on the lorry waiting to be ‘unboxed’. . Luckily time has stood still so they should be in good condition.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 02:57, St Enodoc said:

Definitely at St Ives, notably the Saturday Cornish Riviera with ten coaches. I've only ever seen photos of 4500s, not 4575s. Newquay also had a lot of double-headers on summer Saturdays but as often as not two 4-6-0s or a 4-6-0 plus a tank. Sometimes down trains were banked as far as Luxulyan too. A single-track branch with three locos on a fifteen-coach train? You'd never see that on the prototype...

R. Ivet-Counter

Don't forget the triple 94xx bankers on the Lickey!

Talking of which, isn't it about time someone made a RTR model of Big Bertha?

Just saying...……..

Take care all, stay safe!

regards

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, colin penfold said:

This sometimes works for me and might save you a bit of time and money. Imagine  the replacement  pigs have arrived. You need to put them somewhere safe. Where will you put them? Good chance  the originals will be there....

I’ve given up on putting things somewhere ‘safe’.  I lose them to

exactly the same extent as I did when I kept them safe.  The way to find them is to buy and then lose new ones.  The originals will now appear from where they were hiding despite that their location has been thoroughly searched several times. 

• Agree 7

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

I’ve given up on putting things somewhere ‘safe’.  I lose them to

exactly the same extent as I did when I kept them safe.  The way to find them is to buy and then lose new ones.  The originals will now appear from where they were hiding despite that their location has been thoroughly searched several times. 

I seem to have the same problem. I bought a gear cable set for a vintage bicycle that was in the queue for restoration and put it somewhere safe until I had time to do the job.

Could I find it? No.

In one of those moments when I had clearly got far too "in touch with my feminine side" I had made like a girl and tidied it into a parallel dimension.

I have just found it in the bookcase about two weeks after a replacement arrived.

I haven't the foggiest why I thought that was a good spot to stash it or any recollection of doing so.

Miss Riding Hood denies any involvement and as I am sure you all know, it is wise to take her word for it and drop the matter entirely.

The upside is that I am sure I could acquire another 1930s bicycle in need of some fettling.

• Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Hide the one you've got...

It's getting difficult. Waif and stray rusty bicycles are like wagon kits. You HAVE to have a stash. You just daren't count them. A small selection, from back to front: 1985 MBK, 1940 New Hudson, 1949 Rudge, 1952 Raleigh.

The difference is, I can bribe 'er indoors with old bicycles.

WP_20200214_16_30_03_Pro.jpg

• Like 6

I know that not everyone feels the same way, but if we are creating a model railway, rather than running model trains, the railway itself, the infrastructure and the immediate surroundings are just as important as the trains themselves.

Joe Average (you know, those weirdos with no interest in railways) looking at a model railway is seeing a complete picture, just as they would in real life. He has the advantage of not being distracted by the trains and sees far more to impress him than an enthusiast would.

It's rather like the reaction of someone who claims that they can't draw to a good painting, rather than that of some art critic.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3