GWR station building card kit - produced late 70s/80s - who was the manufacturer?

Good morning.

Back in the late 70s or early 80s I built a card kit of a GWR station building but I cannot now remember who produced it. The kit appeared to be based on the GWR's early 20th century design used on the GW/GC joint line and the Birmingham to Cheltenham route - Toddington on the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire railway is a good example.

Can anyone remind me of the manufacturer please?

Edited to add: It was OO scale.

Thank you.

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like it might be the Prototype Models kit of Chalford

Prototype did several kits of this style. Almost certainly the one the OP is thinking of.

Always surprised me that we have not seen a plastic kit version of this style of building as they were so common right across the GW. It would seem, for instance, a better choice than the WS&W Castle Cary that Ratio chose to model.

Guest 7007GreatWestern

I'm sure I had a 4mm kit in the 80s of Lambourn station:-

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l/lambourn/index3.shtml

Although it was actually situated on a rural branch line it was of the company's early 20th Century style more commonly seen at mainline stations.

Is that the station you had in mind? Sorry, I can't remember the manufacturer but I'm sure someone on here will!

Cheers,

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure I had a 4mm kit in the 80s of Lambourn station:-

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l/lambourn/index3.shtml

Although it was actually situated on a rural branch line it was of the company's early 20th Century style more commonly seen at mainline stations.

Is that the station you had in mind? Sorry, I can't remember the manufacturer but I'm sure someone on here will!

Cheers,

Andy.

I think this was a Builder Plus kit.

Hello everyone.

Thank you for your replies and interest. The kit I had was definitely not the Prototype Chalford model. I think 7007 had the same kit as me - the roof was very distinctive and very similar to the photo of Lambourn. Also thanks to The Bishop for the Builder Plus tip - I'll follow that up. The link to Freestone is very helpful - I had no idea they existed.

Thanks again all.

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Hello everyone.

Thank you for your replies and interest. The kit I had was definitely not the Prototype Chalford model. I think 7007 had the same kit as me - the roof was very distinctive and very similar to the photo of Lambourn. Also thanks to The Bishop for the Builder Plus tip - I'll follow that up. The link to Freestone is very helpful - I had no idea they existed.

Thanks again all.

Hi Weaselfish,

I have PM'd you regarding your enquiry.

Cheers,

Andy.

Good morning.

Back in the late 70s or early 80s I built a card kit of a GWR station building but I cannot now remember who produced it. The kit appeared to be based on the GWR's early 20th century design used on the GW/GC joint line and the Birmingham to Cheltenham route - Toddington on the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire railway is a good example.

Can anyone remind me of the manufacturer please?

Edited to add: It was OO scale.

Thank you.

It does sound like one of Prototype Models kits. ISTR that they had a fairly large range. I too built one of their kits (though I've no idea which one) around that time. I had a brief flirtation with the idea of building a GWR BLT so also built a Ratio four wheel carriage kit and a Toad before an interest in American HO took over.

If you do a Google image search on Prototype Models card kits you may very well spot "your" station. . 

• RMweb Gold

Might be good to doublecheck the scale of the Lambourne station kit. I have a Builder Plus kit of the GWR stable. It was marketed as H0/00 but is in fact H0.

Hello all. Thanks for the further suggestions and tips. The kit I had was definitely the Builder Plus Lambourne one. Perhaps them being HO scale is why that range didn't last as long in production as its Superquick and Prototype contemporaries.

Archived