Regional Railways Mk1 TSO Chocolate/Cream & Maroon

Andy Y

During the Regional Railways period of service of the B'ham to North Wales services in the mid-nineties there's regularly a choc/cream Mk1 TSO and occasionally a maroon TSO.

Would anyone have IDs on the coach numbers and the timespans they appeared please? How did the retro-liveries originate?

I sped through my DVD's this morning and I cannot find the footage shot in Bangor. The original was shot on Hi8 and some of this was transferred to video for convenient viewing. Some of these videos were later transferred to DVD but not all. So I'm afraid I cannot help with identifying the running number of the maroon coach or any of the choc & cream's. 

This website has been going since loco hauled days;

http://www.nwrail.org.uk/index.htm

The regular news page had details of train make up including coach numbers if I recall correctly. Still run by Charlie Hulme, he may have an archive available?

This archived page from there has the coaches used in 1999/2000:

http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nwcoach.htm

At the bottom of the page it has the logs from summer 2000 with the Riviera coaches marked in bold. No record of liveries though.

• RMweb Gold

I realised that I'd got the above shot on video as well, unfortunately the number is so small and in gold on chocolate (and had probably been thorugh the washers a few times) that it's unreadable. Likewise I have shot of 37.421 going towards Holyhead with choc-cream next to loco (so it's another coach) - unfortunately it's also unreadable for the same reasons.

If you're looking to do a model in anything smaller than 7mm you could legitimately leave it un-numbered IMHO as at normal viewing distance these coaches could easily have appeared to be un-numbered in 1:1 ratio.

Archived