Jump to content

The McMullen Coal Company Light Railway


Recommended Posts

McDonalds take away freebies 'Tin -Tin' film figures converted to railway staff lol...Captain Haddock is the driver, the Thompson twins make up the rest of the staff and passengers with their bowler hats whittled down with a Stanley knife blade. The 80" Land-Rover series one pre production converted rail bus R02 is passing the smelly Pig pen.:D

2009-01-23_19_53.14_(1).JPG

2009-01-23_19_56_36.JPG

2015-11-25_15_19_13.JPG

  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

McDonalds take away freebies 'Tin -Tin' film figures converted to railway staff lol...Captain Haddock is the driver, the Thompson twins make up the rest of the staff and passengers with their bowler hats whittled down with a Stanley knife blade. The 80" Land-Rover series one pre production converted rail bus R02 is passing the smelly Pig pen.:D

2009-01-23_19_53.14_(1).JPG

2009-01-23_19_56_36.JPG

2015-11-25_15_19_13.JPG

Wow genius, superb modelling, just superb!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

One Two things, apart from the superb modelling, I keep meaning to ask you is are:

 

a) the lineside veg is brilliant, but how did you keep it at bay? I have attempted all sorts, including Mind Your Own Business, and various hebes and whatnots, but so many grow rampant and I have to decimate them to trim them back. I know you specialised in landscape gardening, so feel you could answer this.

 

b) with your homemade signals, the ladders are all important, but where did you find them (or did you make them)??

 

In awe again

 

Mike

  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

One Two things, apart from the superb modelling, I keep meaning to ask you is are:

 

a) the lineside veg is brilliant, but how did you keep it at bay? I have attempted all sorts, including Mind Your Own Business, and various hebes and whatnots, but so many grow rampant and I have to decimate them to trim them back. I know you specialised in landscape gardening, so feel you could answer this.

 

b) with your homemade signals, the ladders are all important, but where did you find them (or did you make them)??

 

In awe again

 

Mike

I'll leave the planting to OB to answer our NG is on raised boards.

 

The ladders? Various sources over the years, some have come and gone, but they are still available, in plastic, from Cambrian Models

 

https://www.cambrianmodelrail.co.uk/store/NS1-Signal-Ladder-p95203759

 

Hope that helps.

 

Of course OB may have used a different source.

 

Atvb

 

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

I'll leave the planting to OB to answer our NG is on raised boards.

 

The ladders? Various sources over the years, some have come and gone, but they are still available, in plastic, from Cambrian Models

 

https://www.cambrianmodelrail.co.uk/store/NS1-Signal-Ladder-p95203759

 

Hope that helps.

 

Of course OB may have used a different source.

 

Atvb

 

CME

 

Outstanding CME!! Many thanks. I never thought of looking on Cambrian's website!!

 

  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The plants need an almost daily summer clipping with a good pair of big scissors Mike, helps if you constrict the root growth by planting them in small pockets or in buried pots, my yard had little soil and was all rubble so digging out small pockets and filling them with soil was my main planting method. My ladders came from a lot of different kids toy fire engines i had found at the charity shops, i also made my own ladders from plasticard strips drilled out an inch spacing and plastic cotton bud stems form the rungs. Sorry i did'nt answer sooner my e-mail is down and i'm laid up a bit at the mo'   i try to check in on here every few days though. Here's some more owd stuff. ;)

  

037.JPG

2009-08-10_16_28_37.JPG

2015-08-03_10_34_15.JPG

2015-09-20_14_26_19.JPG

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot to say Mike that in dry spells make sure the plants are watered well if planting in sunken pots or pockets, and a sprinkle of multi purpose feed twice a year helps keep them lush and green. 

 

2015-09-10 10.17.02 (2).JPG

DSC03717.JPG

2009-01-23_19_07_29.JPG

2009-11-04_18_48_54.JPG

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/09/2020 at 10:43, Owd Bob said:

The plants need an almost daily summer clipping with a good pair of big scissors Mike, helps if you constrict the root growth by planting them in small pockets or in buried pots, my yard had little soil and was all rubble so digging out small pockets and filling them with soil was my main planting method. My ladders came from a lot of different kids toy fire engines i had found at the charity shops, i also made my own ladders from plasticard strips drilled out an inch spacing and plastic cotton bud stems form the rungs. Sorry i did'nt answer sooner my e-mail is down and i'm laid up a bit at the mo'   i try to check in on here every few days though. Here's some more owd stuff. ;)

  

037.JPG

2009-08-10_16_28_37.JPG

2015-08-03_10_34_15.JPG

2015-09-20_14_26_19.JPG

Mouth watering genius!

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Mouth watering genius!

Couldn’t agree more - every time I see new photos of the old 16mm line or the new 7.5” one, I look on in sheer admiration.  I wish I had a fraction of Bob’s creative flair.  Truly inspirational stuff - as the old Bond theme put it, nobody does it better.  Top job Bob!
 

David

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DavidB said:

Couldn’t agree more - every time I see new photos of the old 16mm line or the new 7.5” one, I look on in sheer admiration.  I wish I had a fraction of Bob’s creative flair.  Truly inspirational stuff - as the old Bond theme put it, nobody does it better.  Top job Bob!
 

David

Ditto! I wish I could model make like that! OB has the x factor.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The blue loco' was made from a single cab green one that i could never get to run right, i thought it was jinxed and so i added another bonnet to it, :rolleyes: It never got a running chassis put on it and it got towed away and sold off not very long after its conversion. My recent passport pic' ...as we say up here " i'm reet sh&gg£d out" :lol: 

loco_grn_007.jpg

2015-08-22_09_27_55.JPG

2015-08-28_11_42_32.JPG

2009-06-03_14_44_05.JPG

  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/09/2020 at 11:05, Owd Bob said:

I forgot to say Mike that in dry spells make sure the plants are watered well if planting in sunken pots or pockets, and a sprinkle of multi purpose feed twice a year helps keep them lush and green. 

 

 

Thanks Bob - watering and feeding is not the issue, despite regular 30 degree plus temps here!! I do it regularly.

 

It is the ravenous weeds that sprout almost everywhere, that seem not to need any water, feed or any other form of sustenance, especially a small leaved, ravenous bind weed, that is almost impossible to get rid of. I have adopted the need to concrete/cement over almost every part of the existing layout so far, except where I want plants to grow, but the weeds find any tiny crevice in which to blossom, and take over. They are known for their aggressiveness here! But I need to keep some holes to allow drainage, for when it does rain, it rains hard. I shall just have to pursue the daily pruning regime that you have.

  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers CME, the coal wagon started off as a £3 charity shop find, which i cut about a bit! Made it from my memories of our local coal man coming around the streets back in the '60's. Coal sacks were modelling clay, the two weights made from those plastic 'size' things found on the top of coat hangers, filled, sanded and then some small brass screw in eyelets fitted.

2009-01-01 18.24.03 (2).JPG

2009-01-02 17.29.30 (2).JPG

2009-01-05 00.10.35 (2).JPG

2009-01-05 14.17.31 (2).JPG

2009-01-12_22_21_05.JPG

2009-01-13_21_07_46.JPG

  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

Cheers CME, the coal wagon started off as a £3 charity shop find, which i cut about a bit! Made it from my memories of our local coal man coming around the streets back in the '60's. Coal sacks were modelling clay, the two weights made from those plastic 'size' things found on the top of coat hangers, filled, sanded and then some small brass screw in eyelets fitted.

2009-01-01 18.24.03 (2).JPG

2009-01-02 17.29.30 (2).JPG

2009-01-05 00.10.35 (2).JPG

2009-01-05 14.17.31 (2).JPG

2009-01-12_22_21_05.JPG

2009-01-13_21_07_46.JPG

Superb! Good memory too mate, mines shocking, but I was three when I remember our coal man's Bedford TK, I remember the dustcart but can't remember what type. The scrap metal man had a TK too. That was late 1960s/early 1970s.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

C.M.E. Our coal man also had Bedford TK's, the council dustcarts around here were almost always the small Bantam/Karrier types with those pull down shutters on a half round bin type rear body:D Then there was the 'Pop' mans wagons:lol: Again they were either TK's or Ford 'D' cabs. We had the 'Corona' and 'Alpine' pop firms coming round. Then there's all the Ice Cream vans :crazy: Bedford CA's mainly, and all with Italian sounding names which were all beautifully sign written, we had one big posh van that would come around, think it was a Morris? Maybe Mr. Whippy with pink and cream paintwork, it looked like the type of van as seen in the old 'Tufty' safety films/ads' that were out at that time in the late '60's....Ah! Willy the Weasel what a great actor he was, it was so sad when he ran behind the ice cream van and got hit.....and survived! :lol:

2009-10-22_18_22_56.JPG

DSC02058 (2).JPG

2016-01-28 13.16.26 (2).JPG

2009-10-16_19_09_16.JPG

2009-10-26_16_05_53.JPG

  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

C.M.E. Our coal man also had Bedford TK's, the council dustcarts around here were almost always the small Bantam/Karrier types with those pull down shutters on a half round bin type rear body:D Then there was the 'Pop' mans wagons:lol: Again they were either TK's or Ford 'D' cabs. We had the 'Corona' and 'Alpine' pop firms coming round. Then there's all the Ice Cream vans :crazy: Bedford CA's mainly, and all with Italian sounding names which were all beautifully sign written, we had one big posh van that would come around, think it was a Morris? Maybe Mr. Whippy with pink and cream paintwork, it looked like the type of van as seen in the old 'Tufty' safety films/ads' that were out at that time in the late '60's....Ah! Willy the Weasel what a great actor he was, it was so sad when he ran behind the ice cream van and got hit.....and survived! :lol:

2009-10-22_18_22_56.JPG

DSC02058 (2).JPG

2016-01-28 13.16.26 (2).JPG

2009-10-16_19_09_16.JPG

2009-10-26_16_05_53.JPG

Those were the days OB, I still have Tufty and Corgi badges - happier times. Superb modelling again, excellent - sorry if I sound sycophantic, not my intention, but credit where credit is due.

  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.