Shapeways new HP Strong & Flexible

• RMweb Premium

Got this email yesterday, I'm not clever enough to be a designer, I just buy your models, but this looks quite interesting to me. Same volumetric price as WSF, far cheaper than FUD, with a resolution that appears to be between the two. Looks quite 'grainy', but their bumpf about the printer itself is interesting.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, the lead time is a lot longer at the moment, but presumably because they only have one machine. I note they praise it for its smoothness, I wonder if the apparent graininess is less prevalent in real life.

I've a feeling it may be a US test annoyingly.

• 6 months later...

Good news and bad news on this material.

Its now available for everyone to order for their own models but the price has doubled.

Having done several tests with this material I have found it useful as a better version of WSF that can have the minimum thickness's of FUD or HDA.  I've printed models in several scales and it's passable in 4mm and larger but like WSF a bit rough for 2mm.

For a 7mm coach it looks better than WSF

35374208223_2e1b296847_k.jpg7mm W&U coach by simon br blue, on Flickr

For a 7mm bogie the black version was useful

23842239308_0f6642d22f_k.jpg7mm Gloucester bogie by simon br blue, on Flickr

In 4mm it was useful and similar to WSF polished.

36178719055_564469c560_k.jpgHPSF material by simon br blue, on Flickr

But for 2mm it was a bit rough although the material could be printed thinner than WSF. 

23841929698_77587c76fb_k.jpgJ70 tram 2mm by simon br blue, on Flickr

A comparison between HPSF and WSF on 2 similar 4mm models.

35788144430_ba62ddd619_k.jpg4mm shunting tractor and Loadall by simon br blue, on Flickr

This material would have been useful and there are several models I've drawn recently designed with tolerances set for HPSF.  The price was similar to WSF with the benefit of a better finish and finer details but sadly Shapeways have doubled the price on the material.  To me this isn't worth the extra price especially when it now works out as the same price as FUD and HDA on some models.

Edited by simon br blue
  • Like 1

Been using it a while now, It is almost identical in texture to WSF, but the edges on either upwards or downwards facing surfaces are raised. The material can take on a pronounced curl towards the edges . 

Comparison pics from the reverser for 'Gelli' in 16mm scale:

LtoR: BHDA (With badly positioned supports), WSF, HP Grey, Black Premium.

post-21854-0-43710900-1510177731_thumb.jpg

post-21854-0-93366100-1510177741_thumb.jpg

The black Premium made it to the model after a little additional smoothing to the angled brackets. HP Grey appears to have a better X and Y resolution, so angled stuff doesn't exhibit as much stepping as WSF. The surface finish is identical. 

Some detail shots of other components printed in HP Grey:

post-21854-0-73539500-1510177883_thumb.jpg

post-21854-0-14725400-1510177899_thumb.jpg

post-21854-0-69695700-1510178097_thumb.jpg

post-21854-0-19038000-1510178110_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I was always interested in trying it and as a pilot material thought I'd sit this one out given my experiences with HDA, but yeah the price doubled.

Well done Shapeways...

So forget it. No point paying FUD type prices for what is essentially WSF with the slightest upgrade that is barely noticeable by most people.

Shame really.

Edited by Knuckles

I was always interested in trying it and as a pilot material thought I'd sit this one out given my experiences with HDA, but yeah the price doubled.

Well done Shapeways...

So forget it. No point paying FUD type prices for what is essentially WSF with the slightest upgrade that is barely noticeable by most people.

Shame really.

I agree with you, Knux. Besides, I'm already working on my own versions of the characters using whatever I could find.