Soller Train and Tram

MikeTrice

A recent holiday in Majorca reunited me with the Soller Train and Tram allowing me to have rides on both. Unfortunately this was part of an organised tour so I had little opportunity to photograph the Train to my disappointment.

I did however manage to get these:

post-3717-0-25717100-1495894569_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-33354100-1495894570_thumb.jpg

I do have a soft spot for these vehicles, possibly as a result of them being in varnished teak and thoughts turned to possible ways of modelling them reasonably cheaply. With the prototype being 3' gauge a scale of 3mm/foot would result in a track gauge of 9mm implying that I might be able to use N Gauge chassis. The models are still small enough to take up minimal space so hopefully will not take over the house.

Since returning home I have  obtained a copy of "Rails Through Majorca" by Giles Barnabe and have been studying the text and drawings provided. A quick scan and scale of his drawings suggested that I should be able to get away with a Tomytec chassis for the motor coaches and one has been ordered from Japan.

On studying the supplied drawings I have noticed a few "oddities" which I will need to resolve, for example on scaling the motor coach and trailer the buffer heights do not match up! With so few of my own photographs available I have scoured the Internet for 3rd party images and downloaded copies of them for reference. These are being compared with the drawings in the hope that I can create some new, more accurate drawings to work from.

I had originally thought that I might produce the various vehicles on the Silhouette cutter but with the recent reduction in price of FUD prints from Shapeways may indeed produce 3D prints instead so others can benefit.

There is one area I could really do with some help on. I cannot find a good side view of the motor coaches coupled to a trailer with both in view to help resolve the buffer issue. All images found are an oblique view. If anyone can help please let me know?

Edited by MikeTrice
  • Like 7

Wish you well with this. Both the railway and tramway are lovely. Should make for great modelling.

I will have a look through my photos but I doubt if I have any which would help.

Thanks. I am hoping that lots of people will have photographed them on various holidays so somewhere such a view must exist.

• RMweb Gold

I've checked out my photos but don't have any of the coupling between the motor coach and trailers.

If you are doing a layout I have a few infrastructure pictures such as point levers and the level crossing and station at Bunyola. I've also got one of a tamper parked there.

I've checked out my photos but don't have any of the coupling between the motor coach and trailers.

If you are doing a layout I have a few infrastructure pictures such as point levers and the level crossing and station at Bunyola. I've also got one of a tamper parked there.

Thanks. If I do anything it will be a very small micro. There are photos of the coupling around but not from a distance showing the bodies as well.

• RMweb Gold

Two of the power cars

No.3 at Bunyola

post-9767-0-87320600-1495908124_thumb.jpg

No.4 at the mountain viewpoint

post-9767-0-63175800-1495908125.jpg

A few of other items to be going on with:

Bunyola Yard from the station

post-9767-0-78968500-1495908123.jpg

Bunyola Turntable used to access goods shed and siding

post-9767-0-69432100-1495908121.jpg

Track Machines in the depot

post-9767-0-03977400-1495908120.jpg

Tamper parked opposite the depot

post-9767-0-69442100-1495908122.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

There's a Dane, Erik Pedersen, who runs an excellent website, full of information and photos, on a monthly basis. It's mainly about Danish Railways, and it's in Danish, but he is a great tramway enthusiast. If you plod through the thread, you find some good information on the Soller tram. Here's a link to get you started, spread out from there:http://evp.dk/index.php?page=mallorca-s-sporvej-soller-port-de-soller

• RMweb Gold

There's a Dane, Erik Pedersen, who runs an excellent website, full of information and photos, on a monthly basis. It's mainly about Danish Railways, and it's in Danish, but he is a great tramway enthusiast. If you plod through the thread, you find some good information on the Soller tram. Here's a link to get you started, spread out from there:http://evp.dk/index.php?page=mallorca-s-sporvej-soller-port-de-soller

About 3/4 of the way down the page at Roca Roja, our daughter booked us a family holiday a couple of years ago in the house just visible to the left of the tram directly by the loop ponits. Didn't take any numbers but I recon within the week I must have classed them.

• Like 1

I will follow this thread with interest. Mrs Brightspark and I have a trip out to take the train from Bunyola to Soller every couple of years. Then a tram down to the Port.

Its a shame that they don't run more trains in the afternoon as it always a rush to get back to Soller Station. One day I would like to take the train from Palma so as to expirence the street running.

By the way I understand that Soller is pronounced Soy-yah.

Our annual trip is for my cycling training camp (and her tanning camp). The level crossing at Bunyola is always a welcome relief as it is on the circuit running from Porto Pollenca over the "Big Pig" (Puig) into Soller and then up the Col'd'Soller. (there used to be a large bull shaped billboard here at the top back in the 1970's) You get a glimpses of the line and if your lucky the train as you climb up. It must be just after where the line comes out of the tunnel. Then the  oh so quick descent and then a horrible stretch of road before you turn left and pass over the tracks (go easy as they are quite bumpy) then that is the last hill of the day. (unless you are mad enough to do the Orient or back up to Lluc or even both, I know people who have done it). The cafe in Bunyola square is always a very welcome sight. Then two hours flat riding back to base. Of course going the other way the level crossing signals that you have at least a couple of hours hard climbing.

Anyway here are some pictures taken in April 2014

post-4587-0-67036300-1495919531.jpg

post-4587-0-75121400-1495919595.jpgpost-4587-0-96252300-1495919617.jpgpost-4587-0-87610500-1495919639.jpgpost-4587-0-34130400-1495919679.jpgpost-4587-0-96184600-1495919699.jpg

The train is at Bunyola. The rather shaky picture was taken inside the long tunnel from the end platform into the Train. And the last two at Soller works.

Enjoy

Andy

(Edit to add picture notes)

Edited by brightspark
  • Like 3

tis looks interesting.It would not be that difficult to produce the models for 3D printing. Don't ignore WSF , as there is not that much visible small detall, and it is much easier and cheaper to paint.

What would be recommended for the pantographs. I ask , as I need something similar for one of my French projects.

For more information on the Majorca system, I would suggest actualy asking Giles Barnabe. He is a regular contributer on the MTI forum.

I think I have solved the various sizing issues however today I have ordered a copy of "El ferrocarril a Mallorca : la via des progrés" so will probably put this project to one side until it arrives.

Edited by MikeTrice
  • Like 1