Sheet metal plated coaches by easy way

I have found that old Finnish coaches are using the same construction as some British ones. The idea of sheet metal plated two axles coaches was coming from German to Finland. For many reasons we made them a little bit simple but the main idea was still the same — later we also used the wood instead of sheet metal. So I think that we might have same problems when modeling these style of coaches. And that´s why I´d like to give some ideas. I have tested these ideas about one year and we have built tens of coaches this way.

The main problem with these styles of coach body is convex walls. Many enthusiasts do not like bend walls in convex format or they are thinking that this is too difficult.  Rarely this is quite difficult when using half etched walls. But first I would like to introduce my idea of wooden body of this style of coach.

If you are modeling the same type of body with wooden walls, you are able to use "the box construction". My idea was to draw dashed lines inside the wall in places you have to bend the wall to the convex format. You have to be very careful when drawing dashed lines — small pieces of lines have to situated in the middle of lines that imitate joints of boards outside of walls. If you are not careful with that you will get small holes in your wall ;)

But this works. Dashed lines help you to bend the wall to the convex format. Many enthusiasts also like the box style body because that is easy to build. You are able see this idea in my first picture.

11s3Pc.jpg

My second idea was to make window frames and window sills in one piece. By this way I also will get the L-girder inside the upper wall. Later I am also able to use the flange of L-girder when assemble the transverse beam of the coach. Please note that bend window sills fit to chinks made in walls. That makes very easy to fit the L-girder piece on its place.

Umt3F6.jpg
tJSPm2.jpg
1akYwc.jpg
OzKTdf.jpg

The second idea was the construction of sheet metal plated coach body. Because the half etched walls you are not able to use the box style construction.  I think these photos will give you the idea.

PnFqwN.jpg
XPS87Z.jpg
5eTRAQ.jpg
xO4fsC.jpg
SVeCED.jpg
kH3DeX.jpg
VF9Rox.jpg
1D3TUO.jpg
JfhIpu.jpg
trb3Qu.jpg
NAkubH.jpg
sL4cbN.jpg
nAd10B.jpg
l3NlF8.jpg
LFLzRy.jpg
RFG3il.jpg
6Xsowd.jpg
luuLid.jpg
kY7ftM.jpg
c2Aukr.jpg
790o32.jpg

My big idea was to make loops in the lower edge of the wall. There are also pegs in the lower edge of half etched wall. Pegs suit to loops and makes very easy to assemble the half etched wall on the body. This construction is also very strong.

BnBybH.jpg

9iDo9x.jpg

The three point suspension of coach base on the old English idea — there are not any new ideas of mine. My idea was only to copy "the bogie style assembly" from the long two axle coach made by Roco for the second axle. In my coach the second axle is able to turn a little bit like the bogie. This helps the coach to go in tight curves.

0ASbaJ.jpg
buYTDL.jpg

Petri Sallinen
Helsinki Finland
... and here are some ready made coaches.

06rHJr.jpg
7FwY4I.jpg
xFj6ql.jpg
BEbKpH.jpg
V7KGWD.jpg
T5U47S.jpg

Edited by Petri Sallinen
  • Like 5