Starting off in 2mm Finescale

Earl Bathurst

Having modelled in P4 and EM in the past and never achieving what I want,due to lack of space I was thinking of having a go in 2mm Finescale. I like n gauge but no matter what ever I do it never looks right with regards to track work.

Before I join the 2mm society I was looking for any advice on starting off in this scale?

From past experience I need to pick a location and model it. The only doubt is conversion of steam locos to 2mm from standard n gauge stock. Any advice would be most helpful

Probably the best place to start is the 2mm Scale Association website. There are various articles and bits of information on there but I'd start here;

http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/getting_started/index.html

and have a meander around the site to get a feel for things. It's difficult to give specific advice without knowing more (what location, era, etc. you're interested in) but if you've modelled in EM and P4 then I think you'll already have the skills needed and will hopefully enjoy 2FS.

There is an article (actually more of a glorified press release!) on converting one of the recent N gauge steam locos to 2FS here;

http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/64xx%20chassis%20conversion%20kit/index.html

Similar conversions can be done for the Jinty, 4F, Fairburn tank, Ivatt 2MT, WD, etc. using Association components and those supplied by our members.

The nice thing about the conversions on the 64xx and Jinty is that they are reversible - you set up the 2FS components away from the loco and then replace the N gauge wheels. It's also reversible if you do decide not to proceed. The locos with outside valve gear are a bit more complicated and probably not reversible. If you want more details I can dig out some articles on converting the locos and email them to you.

As you will see from other posts in the 2mm area here, we've just launched a Diamond Jubilee Challenge to build a layout with a scenic area of 60cm x 9.42in (600mm x 240mm). One of the aims of this was to encourage beginners to have a go at a small project and try out techniques, etc.

One last thing - I notice from your profile that you're in Swansea. The 2mm Roadshow will be present at the forthcoming Swansea exhibition (7th and 8th October) and Gareth and his colleagues will be able to answer specific questions, so I'd recommend popping along if you can. They have a range of publications and a trial kit (16t mineral wagon and length of track) for sale as well as being able to sign you up as a member.

Hope that helps.

Andy

(2mm Scale Association Chairman)

• RMweb Premium

If you can pick up a complete wagon kit from the 2mm stand at the Swansea show, that would be a great place to start. It is complete, except for paint and transfers, and even comes with a short length of EasyTrac to stand it on.

Next, I would suggest getting a point kit, and some more plain track and fixing it to a small plank of wood. A simple toggle switch can be used to both mechanically and electrically switch the point.

Next step, could be to get a Farish Class 24, or similar, and get the drop-in replacement wheels for it. Really quick and simple 2mmFS motive power to play with.

Then you could try the Association conversion kits for RTR steam locomotives, and finally, Association etched replacement chassis for less reliable RTR steam locos and etched body kits.

Depending on your experience in P4 and EM, you might be able to skip some of the above steps.

Good Luck

• RMweb Gold

The amount of things going on in 2mm is quite amazing. 3D printed wagon bodies, all sorts of etches, all being done by members. So the choice of models where there is something to get you started is growing. A lot of people are finding the latest N gauge stuff is very acceptable when a replacement chassis is used. The association stock a number of these with etches produced by Chris Higgs, Nigel Ashton did a chassis kit for the Dapol Manor David Eveliegh an etched chasis for the Prairie. Have a good look at the threads on here to get some idea of how people are doing things.

Don