Timber traffic to Carrbridge.

JohnH

I've seen several photos of OBA's with timber in the sidings at Carrbridge in the Highlands in the 1980's.

Was this traffic destined for a local sawmill and where was it coming from? Also, when did this traffic run and did it continue after the demise of Speedlink?

Many thanks for any help.

I'm not sure of the destination.

I don't think the Carr Bridge traffic survived the demise of Speedlink. After Speedlink ended, workings along the highland mainline and Aberdeen-Inverness were replaced by a weekly timber train, often double headed by 2 x 37s. This would travel with empty wagons up the highland main line and then travel from Inverness to Aberdeen, swapping empty OTAs for loaded ones at Millburn Yard (I think), Elgin, Huntly and Inverurie.

When Transrail started Enterprise workings, a surprising amount of general traffic was recovered on the Thurso and Aberdeen-Inverness line, and timber wagons were conveyed on these workings, but I don't recall seeing any revenue earning wagons in any of the highland mainline yards after Speedlink.

HI All

The wagons were loaded at Carbridge for where ever it was either the Callodden "bitumen" or the carbridge trip.

There was a short trial in Transrail days with logs for Boat of Garten for BSW

Regards Arran

Thanks for the information Arran. So they were loading timber at Carrbridge, not receiving it?

I'm a bit confused now... One of the photos I've seen is in 'British Railway Wagons 1980-2015' by John Dedman. On page 46 there's a picture of 37262 at the head of 8 loaded OBA's with the following caption:-

"This scene at Carrbridge in Scotland shows OBA's in timber traffic. No 37262 Dounreay has arrived from the north with loaded wagons and will return north with the empty wagons in the foreground.... 29 May 1989"

which seems to infer there was timber being received at Carrbridge at least at this time. Or perhaps the wagons were left here to be collected by another trip for operational reasons?

I've also just had a quick look in 'Freight Only Volume 3' which shows the 6H11 trip from Inverness arriving at Culloden on July 27 1988. In the caption it mentions:-

"...the first three wagons carry timber to Carrbridge..."

Maybe Carrbridge was a location that received and dispatched timber traffic around this time.

The plot thickens...

Thanks for the information Arran. So they were loading timber at Carrbridge, not receiving it?

I'm a bit confused now... One of the photos I've seen is in 'British Railway Wagons 1980-2015' by John Dedman. On page 46 there's a picture of 37262 at the head of 8 loaded OBA's with the following caption:-

"This scene at Carrbridge in Scotland shows OBA's in timber traffic. No 37262 Dounreay has arrived from the north with loaded wagons and will return north with the empty wagons in the foreground.... 29 May 1989"

which seems to infer there was timber being received at Carrbridge at least at this time. Or perhaps the wagons were left here to be collected by another trip for operational reasons?

I've also just had a quick look in 'Freight Only Volume 3' which shows the 6H11 trip from Inverness arriving at Culloden on July 27 1988. In the caption it mentions:-

"...the first three wagons carry timber to Carrbridge..."

Maybe Carrbridge was a location that received and dispatched timber traffic around this time.

The plot thickens...

Well if they did take in timber i never seen it thats not to say it didn't happen .

Regards Arran