KINGSBOROUGH - Semi-Rural Terminus - BR NER/ER c. 1960's & 1980's

Hi all,

I am currently in the process of planning my layout, however I have one issue. Whilst planning, I discovered that if the Parcel Van Siding (indicated in red) could not go into the line where the passenger trains will go, without the parcel van hitting the platform edge. So I moved it towards the other end of the layout, however this left me with another problem. Now I had a big and dull empty space, which I have proposed the *Potential lower level space, but I'm not sure what to put there! Could anyone help?

EDIT: I was thinking of making the lower level space into a quayside scene, but I'll look for other options first.

Thanks in advance.

post-32712-0-07402700-1509049940_thumb.jpg

Colour coded lines:

Red - Parcel van siding

Black - Passenger line

Blue - Siding (Fenced off from station platform)

Green - Potential engine shed

*Still finding something to put there

MORE RECENT EDIT: Title Changes...

Edited by DoubleDeckInterurban

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Interesting idea there.

Any thoughts as to scale, and location?  Answers to these may help provoke some useful ideas for the lower-level space.  (e.g. if it's late 1970s UK, and somewhere urban and reasonably industrialised, then the siding could be in engineers' use or for stabling a spare DMU; your lower level space could then become the station car park, etc.)

Just one other suggestion:  you may want to edit your diagram as I am assuming that your dimensions are meant to be 'cm' rather than 'mm'.

Good luck.

Regards,

Alex.

Edited by Alex TM
  • Like 1

Hi,

Interesting idea there.

Any thoughts as to scale, and location? Answers to these may help provoke some useful ideas for the lower-level space. (e.g. if it's late 1970s UK, and somewhere urban and reasonably industrialised, then the siding could be in engineers' use or for stabling a spare DMU; your lower level space could then become the station car park, etc.)

Just one other suggestion: you may want to edit your diagram as I am assuming that your dimensions are meant to be 'cm' rather than 'mm'.

Good luck.

Regards,

Alex.

Mainly this layout will be OO gauge however I may sometimes run some of my NSW outline trains from time to time. I'm thinking of making this a (sort of) rural area, maybe a bit of a rural town. I am thinking of making the lower level a quayside (after seeing scenery products in the Bachmann Branchline 2016|17 magazine), maybe with a canal boat or two. Also if you look at my blog (see signature) you will see where I got some of my inspiration.

About the DMU - I am actually planning on making a DMMU (Diesel Mechanical Multiple Unit) using Hornby Mk1 coaches. See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/116076-Hornby-announce-mk1-fo-and-bso/?p=2900157

post-32712-0-00701000-1509048869_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Compare photos of 1970s UK stations and those in NSW. You might find that you can get away with using platforms and basic items in common and then just place slightly different buildings to convert it from UK to Oz.

I'm not too concerned about the station, as I'm only making a platform long enough for a two car Multiple Units, and because of this I find a station building unnecessary. I could make a small shelter but I'll look at that further once I have started building. The photo I've attached of County School station shows basic style I'm opting for. However the signage would be closer to that of the NSWGR's style. For buildings, the only REAL buildings would be my proposed workshop and my signalbox, which is still under consideration. In terms of backdrop, again I'll look at that properly once the layout's under way.

post-32712-0-22332300-1509090110.jpeg

post-32712-0-85676400-1509090651_thumb.jpeg

A bit of planning progress over the past few days, in particular with the lower level tracks and railway workshop. What I had originally planned didn't quite work out, so I omitted the track in front of the shed and I've also moved the junction that the two shed roads intersect into the hidden section to allow a decent sized shed. I'll post a diagram later.

P.S, I'm also considering grassing over the platform (is grassing even a word??), like the picture of Warwick Farm Racecourse Railway Station attached below. Do we approve???

post-32712-0-05765100-1509238985.jpeg

NOTE: I'm having second thoughts about running NSWGR electrics on this layout, as I currently don't own any such rolling stock (and majority of these are absolute rip offs in my opinion), and I'm not putting up catenary specially for trains that I'm not likely to run, as most of the British stock I'm going to use are DMUs.

I have proposed a small workshop in the lower level section, with a hidden line for entry. I may also have another track in front of the workshop (maybe for a scrapped loco or coach).

attachicon.gifKingsborough Layout Plan (With WS).png

You could detail a class 110 or you could get something from DC kits. If you want a 3 or 4tc you can convert it from mk1's and you could have it hauled

You could detail a class 110 or you could get something from DC kits. If you want a 3 or 4tc you can convert it from mk1's and you could have it hauled

That's not a bad idea... I found a diagram of a DMU on railcar.co.uk (but not sure what variety of DMU though). I could make a burnt out DMU with the framework exposed and stripped components. But I've since found that the track in front of the workshop won't work, so it will mainly spend time in one of the sheds or in the fiddleyard. OR it could replace my proposed Mk1 DMMU.

post-32712-0-30524500-1509328922_thumb.jpg

Just a comment but how do the passengers get onto the platform? Subway or bridge?

Martin

I will connect a footbridge to the retaining wall, which will go over the siding and there will also be provision for workers to go down to the lower level section. I'll post an updated diagram.

• Like 1

Construction has finally started! Yesterday we got some timber (2 1200 x 390mm boards) one 5 ply and the other 3 ply. I did some 'proper' track planning and marking out so now I know what is going to go where.

post-32712-0-00635800-1509912701_thumb.jpeg

Picture isn't to good, but it gives a general idea of what I've been doing. For clarity I'll make another diagram to show what I've done with the layout so far.

EDIT: Quite clearly I'm an idiot, ITS SUPPOSED TO SAY 390mm, NOT 39!

• Like 1

**Update!**

I've come up with an idea for a backscene. It won't look exactly the same though, it's more of a basis.

post-32712-0-35930500-1510300761_thumb.jpeg

This will be a scene for Kingsborough's Major Workshops, whilst the one in the lower section will be an locomotive shed.

• Like 2

I have decided to extend the layout, in terms of the eras I will model into it and I'm looking into it's 'background and history'.

- I am planning to run 1950's/pre-1968 Steam Era stock (ie. ex-LNER J50 with Thompson coaches, along with SOME early DMU's).

- I am also extending in terms of the rest of the line. 'Kingsborough' will be located on an 11 station branch line, which starts somewhere near Skipton. (If you have suggestions for anything, post as you please).

For more information about rolling stock go to the 'DMU's for Kingsborough' page (see my signature).

I'm not too concerned about the station, as I'm only making a platform long enough for a two car Multiple Units, and because of this I find a station building unnecessary. I could make a small shelter but I'll look at that further once I have started building. The photo I've attached of County School station shows basic style I'm opting for. However the signage would be closer to that of the NSWGR's style. For buildings, the only REAL buildings would be my proposed workshop and my signalbox, which is still under consideration. In terms of backdrop, again I'll look at that properly once the layout's under way.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

County School is just a few miles away from me. 

• Like 1

More Progress:

Recently I have been considering what won't be seen in the layout - the fiddleyard. Well technically there won't be a fiddleyard, it will be more like a set of cassettes that can be pulled out and attached to the layout.

post-32712-0-45395700-1511304053_thumb.jpg

Locomotives have been the main focus this week. Here is the roster for locomotives (c. 1970's) so far:

- BR Class 47 (Rebuilt into TriBo locomotive)

- BR Class 22 (Salvaged from the Western Region) - Currently being made on Sketchup (see my signature).

- Some kind of BR Shunter (Not an 08) - It's not that I dislike 08's, but I find they are the 'default' locomotive to go for when looking for a shunter.

- BR Class 50 (Maybe) - I've always liked the 'face' of the class 50, and could be a good loco to own. Note that this may either be removed from the roster or replaced by another loco due to uncertainty.

EDIT: I've revived word from DC kits that the class 504 and 128 (LMR) are currently unavailable. I have replied asking what they have available and when they reply I'll consider my options. Here is what I'm thinking:

- The Class 128 (WR) may be available, if so the Parcel Train will very much remain the same. If not I may need to consider Derby or Cravens DMU's instead.

- The 504 is no longer on the roster. I have a few options for this:

1. Find an alternative electric of a similar design (I did consider a 308 before going for the 504).

2. Let dieselisation completely take over - this will mean ALL trains will be diesel (multiple units and locomotives)

3. Consider Southern EMU's - They are third rail, they are electric, but they would be extremely off region. Kingsborough is set in the LMR/ER so Southern Electrics are not ideal for prototypical running of ER/LMR trains.

4. CLACTONISATION! - I have been tempted to build a Clacton for a while, so this could be my chance to cram on into the roster.

5. Go imaginary - Go with my original intentions and bring back the IMU's (Imaginary Multiple Units)!

Locomotives have been the main focus this week. Here is the roster for locomotives (c. 1970's) so far:

- BR Class 47 (Rebuilt into TriBo locomotive)

- BR Class 22 (Salvaged from the Western Region) - Currently being made on Sketchup (see my signature).

- Some kind of BR Shunter (Not an 08) - It's not that I dislike 08's, but I find they are the 'default' locomotive to go for when looking for a shunter.

- BR Class 50 (Maybe) - I've always liked the 'face' of the class 50, and could be a good loco to own. Note that this may either be removed from the roster or replaced by another loco due to uncertainty.

EDIT: I've revived word from DC kits that the class 504 and 128 (LMR) are currently unavailable. I have replied asking what they have available and when they reply I'll consider my options. Here is what I'm thinking:

- The Class 128 (WR) may be available, if so the Parcel Train will very much remain the same. If not I may need to consider Derby or Cravens DMU's instead.

- The 504 is no longer on the roster. I have a few options for this:

1. Find an alternative electric of a similar design (I did consider a 308 before going for the 504).

2. Let dieselisation completely take over - this will mean ALL trains will be diesel (multiple units and locomotives)

3. Consider Southern EMU's - They are third rail, they are electric, but they would be extremely off region. Kingsborough is set in the LMR/ER so Southern Electrics are not ideal for prototypical running of ER/LMR trains.

4. CLACTONISATION! - I have been tempted to build a Clacton for a while, so this could be my chance to cram on into the roster.

5. Go imaginary - Go with my original intentions and bring back the IMU's (Imaginary Multiple Units)!

I am now going to (nearly completely) rework the roster. See DMU's for Kingsborough for details.

Update:

Main posts are being moved to my blog (see signature). Whenever I post, I'll just say here I've posted.

EDIT: I've revamped the blog so it looks less dull. So please enjoy!

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

This gets more interesting as it develops.

Two thoughts that may be of help:

1.  If you haven't already done so, have a look at Portwey on this forum; it's also been in the RM.  Here's the link

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81305-portwey/

2.  Don't worry about not being able to get three car units into all your platforms; the real railway here has the same problem.  For example, one day last year I had to travel from Chester to Edinburgh via Crewe.  As we arrived into Chester I could here the driver clearly exclaim "not again!" as our four-car set was routed into the shortest bay in the station (3-car unit maximum).  Actually, what he said was far more colourful!

Hope the blog works for you.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi again,

This gets more interesting as it develops.

Two thoughts that may be of help:

1.  If you haven't already done so, have a look at Portwey on this forum; it's also been in the RM.  Here's the link

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81305-portwey/

2.  Don't worry about not being able to get three car units into all your platforms; the real railway here has the same problem.  For example, one day last year I had to travel from Chester to Edinburgh via Crewe.  As we arrived into Chester I could here the driver clearly exclaim "not again!" as our four-car set was routed into the shortest bay in the station (3-car unit maximum).  Actually, what he said was far more colourful!

Hope the blog works for you.

Regards,

Alex.

If you read the blog, I've used a three way turnout on the upper level of the layout. Because of this, now I can fit three car trains in both platforms, whereas before I could have two car trains without trapping the train in the curved platform.

post-32712-0-92677700-1512848703_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

A week later from the last post, some serious development has been going on behind the (currently wood) scenes... Kingsborough has developed from a rural station in the background of industry to something full on industrial! After finding 'Ripper Street' in a RAILWAY MODELLER magazine, I've taken some of the features of that layout, and I'm planning to use them somehow into Kingsborough. One feature in particular I'm taking is the arched roof of the station, and the general industrial vibe it gives off. Although much of what I planned previously will remain the same, including the track plan (the lower section is still under consideration though), the trains (which will still be primarily DMU's and the general idea remains the same. After reading back and fourth through that RM article, the following things will be changed:

- I will attempt to introduce a locomotive hauled train, whether it be a parcel service or a reduced 'Gatwick Express' based unit in push/pull operation.

- The station - This was originally to be a more rural station, but now it will look more like a small city terminus. An arched roof like the one at 'Ripper Street' mixed with York (not curved!) will sit on top of the platforms. The footbridge will be replaced with a subway.

SEE BLOG FOR MORE (See signature)

• 3 weeks later...

TOPIC BUMPED!

It's been a while since I've updated this thread. Not much has been happening over the past while, but I've purchased another bit of wood to become the backboard of the layout. It has yet to be permanently attached, as currently it just leans against the end of the layout. Some would know that I recently acquired a Class 108 unit (a Bachmann model purchased on eBay for around £65 (approx. $100) which is pretty good compared to current prices in local hobby shops, which very easily go to the $300 mark!). Anyway, behind the scenes I've been doing a lot of planning, including timetables, the lower level and the station.

post-32712-0-29021900-1514790143_thumb.jpeg

Here is an overall view of the layout in it's current state. I've yet to finish off the baseboard and eventually start nailing the track down. Once this is done the platform will be erected and the tracks will be ballasted. Then I'll be able to finish the scenery and do a few test runs of it, and maybe I'll make this layout DCC (hopefully!).

• Like 1