Commer BF (1950s) What was the wheelbase?

I have recently come across an old Lesney Commer BF Rentaset van, and wonder if, suitably reglazed and detailed, it would pass for a 1/76 model. I have not been able to find any dimensional information on the real thing-but the width of the van is a scale 6' and the wheelbase 9'6" -does anybody know what the dimensions of the real thing were?

David

Sorry I cannot help with dimensions of the real thing.

I also have a few of these Commers, one as a B R minibus, one as a parcels van and one awaiting conversion to a plain van as used by the Southern Region. They may be a bit small but do not look out of place with 1.76 scale stuff. Not a bad model for nearly 50 years ago.

Merfyn

That was quick. It does look just about the right size, the only major issue seems to be the recessed panelling, which seems to be too deep and toosquare -is this because the original Matchbox model was an ice cream van? Its seems that most of these vans were supplied as chassis cowl, so there is some scope for variation in the rear bodywork.

One thing that is obvious from the maker's drawing (of the chassis cowl) is that the two side windows should be at a different, shallower angle making the cab more a 'bay window' shape. They could possibly be eased out a bit to make the whole thing a bit wider; maybe not quite as wide as a perfect scale representation, but nearer to the proper width by a couple of mm or thereabouts. Of course, that would only apply in chassis cowl mode; it doesn't do the van body any favours!

Lesney seemed to change scale designation on this model. In the 1965 catalogue is was shown as 1:75 scale for both the ice cream and 'Rentaset' versions. By 1966 they were stated as 1:85 and 1:86 respectively! Interestingly there had been a slightly earlier Matchbox version ('Nestle's') that was 7mm shorter and stated to be 1:91 scale, but that was a van version with recessed sliding (not hinged) doors. Personally I'd rather trust comparing known dimensions than what scale they said it was.

The model does look a little too square and flat around the cab with a little less width to the mudguard/wing than the prototype, but it would need to be about 2mm wider overall to be to scale (assuming it was to be the 1 ton version-if the other it would need lengthening as well!) , which would mean some complex slicing! I think its one for detailing and adding the rear of the layout (perspective effect!).

Archived