Heljan Split Gears 'problem' - Stop Press - Survey by Gauge 0 Guild

RandyWales

Hi all...

Following recent discussions on the Guild forum, a member has kindly committed to undertaking a survey to try to ascertain the extent of the problem of split gears on Heljan 0 gauge locomotives, with a view to the Guild bringing the result to the attention of Heljan as a collective submission.

All are welcome to contribute to the survey whether a member of the Gauge 0 Guild or not. If you have experienced the 'split gears' problem, there is a submission point with full description of the requirements on the Guild website's Home Page under the Guild News banner.

Please read the requirements carefully as this survey is about ALL locomotive types, not just concentrating on those models that have had the specific problem. This is in order to assess the extent (or not) of the problem across the range.

As an aside, could I also draw attention to the fact that there is now a dedicated forum topic heading for Diesel and Electric Traction. This may be of interest to those who are considering joining the Guild (or those who have been members in the past).

http://www.gauge0guild.com/#

Regards

Randall

• Like 4

I have had split gears on two of my Heljan locos. The class 47 and the class37 have both had a problem. I have purchased replacement gears from Howes of Oxford (usual disclaimer) but have not got around to fitting them as yet.

I will go on to the Guild site to register the problem as soon as I can.

Rod

Guest Isambarduk

All are welcome to contribute to the survey whether a member of the Gauge 0 Guild or not.

I have found an announcement of the survey in the G0G News section (www.gauge0guild.com/news/news_details.aspx?id=2436) .  

It says "In the first instance, e-mail responses to these three questions should be sent to Dr Arun Sharma at arun24109681@aol.com

Please clearly mark the e-mail "Heljan" in the title box."  It seems a bit hit-and-miss, this; surely an online survey is what is needed?  (I have no Heljan offerings so this is neither here nor there to me.)

David

Edited by Isambarduk

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting topic, especially as some of these older models will have clocked up decent mileage by now. Only seems to have affected Co-Co types? I’ve got a pair of Class 26’s which do much of the work on my fairly steeply graded outdoor track - very reliable and powerful with no problems, regular light silicone spray on gears and wheel cleaning is all I ever do in terms of maintenance.

I seem to remember it was the earlier models that suffered most from this, I had defects on a bogie each from a Hymek and a 47. Howes supplied me free spares and I fitted them, not too difficult and I learnt about how everything fitted together in the process!

Later on I bought from Howes a handful of the gear cogs prone to cracking and put them in a drawer for "just in case" on other locos. I seem to remember these were £2.50 a pop, seemed a sensible insurance premium to me.

John.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic, especially as some of these older models will have clocked up decent mileage by now. Only seems to have affected Co-Co types? I’ve got a pair of Class 26’s which do much of the work on my fairly steeply graded outdoor track - very reliable and powerful with no problems, regular light silicone spray on gears and wheel cleaning is all I ever do in terms of maintenance.

My Hymek had the problem and it's not related to use either. My 37 had cracked even before I ran it as had my 47. Both had been in the boxes for over a year to 18 months before I started to use them

Paul R