Skinnylinny

Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - A New Railway Poster

Posted (edited)

I think the panes on the goods shed might be a bit big for an 1870s-1880s-designed building, so they may need breaking up with glazing bars. Those panes must be at least 3' tall! I agree it needs a bit of paintwork detailing (more blue brick, you say?), and the windowsills could do with being picked out in a similar stone to the station building, in order to bring a bit more uniformity.

Progress on the carriage is slow. I've nearly got the end windows filled smoothly enough that I'm happy with them. Then will come the beading, before a repaint, new roof, new underframe... 

I did however get distracted on Sunday evening by a wagon kit that was found while unpacking... a Cambrian kit, it was looking rather lonely, so I decided to paint and build it.

20200105_232941.jpg

Then another, built but unpainted, one showed up in another stock box I was sorting. Couldn't have that... 

20200106_212120.jpg

And then last night another unbuilt kit showed up!

20200107_001626.jpg

The coal merchants of Linton appear to have all acquired their private owner wagons, but I foresee a lot of lettering and weathering in my future. Unlike my usual wagons for Linton, I'm considering lettering these the same on both sides for ease of stock management. "Regular" wagons will get lettered the same on both sides, while "occasional visitor" wagons can have different names on each side. 

The private owner fleet is growing... and, as far as I can tell, no two wagons are the same type either, which is nice. There's a lot of layouts out there with almost-identical wagons under different liveries, so I'm enjoying the variety!

20200107_090547.jpg

Oh, and I found a 1-plank wagon kit... and a 5&9 models early private owner wagon... and some other bits... I love these kits as they can go together in an evening and give a real sense of having finished something when the motivation is low. 

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 11

Glazing bars sound just the thing to sort those windows out Linny.  The size and shape of the window apertures in the goods shed's walls are fine, but not the size of the window panes.  And a going round with the blue brick paintbrush with other details to match the station building and I think it will look very nice indeed. 

• Thanks 1

Another busy weekend, with a friend visiting, so I didn't get much modelling done. However, as they didn't arrive until Saturday morning, I found myself at a loss for what to do on Friday after work. I discovered by having @AVS1998 visit the weekend before, just having company at the workbench really boosts my interest in modelling and makes me more productive, so I decided to give this streaming malarkey a go. I'm not expecting to make a regular habit of it (yet!) as there are plenty of other folk doing it far better than I, but I sat down and over nearly two hours (where did the time go?) I assembled, painted and lettered one side of a particularly truculent Slater's kit of a Midland horse dray. Truculent as Plastic Weld didn't seem to want to stick the plastic at all! 

That being said, the lettering came from an old transfer sheet for BR Mk1 carriages ("Guard", "Luggage" etc), and the letters had to be cut out individually and aligned by eye - no small feat given they're about 1mm tall! I reckon that with a little more attention to the paintwork this is going to look just fine...

20200110_224034.jpg

The horse in the background is a Dart Castings one, from my other dray, which also got lettered that evening (after the stream), but still needs paintwork attending to as I built it before painting, and there are many fiddly bits to get to yet! The lettering on this one was rather larger, as the Dart Castings kit came with a display name board. I feel like this needs an emblem of some sort in the otp section, though.

20200110_230214.jpg

Clearly the roads of Linton will start to get busy quickly at this rate!

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

17 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

there are plenty of other folk doing it far better than I

You did a grand job of streaming!! You clearly picked up the issues with working around a camera very quickly, and I would definitely watch again. I had a great time!

Gary

• Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

You did a grand job of streaming!! You clearly picked up the issues with working around a camera very quickly, and I would definitely watch again. I had a great time!

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed. I think my previous experience at the Oak Hill Works really helped. I think I only bashed the camera twice all stream!

I'm honoured to have helped (or at least given you the bug!)

3 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

I only bashed the camera twice all stream!

That's my trademark!! (well that and roofs falling off!!)

• Funny 1

Linny, great catch up. You've been on fire since Christmas; keep it up!

• Agree 2

Thank you! It's almost like having a place to myself, several more hours in the day and people encouraging me to model is good for the mojo! Tonight I'm hoping to start getting some lettering onto the first of the private owner wagons at the club meeting.

• Like 4

I said I'd be doing lettering on private owner wagons... I wasn't wrong! 

20200114_225549.jpg.dfb0923855ddcee6add8e4cf087c72d9.jpg

Not bad for an evening's work, now just need to do the other side! This marks the second local private owner wagon for the layout, although this (in)famous trader may also end up residing in Linton, I haven't decided whether to transplant him from Ankh-Morpork! 

20200114_230238.jpg.aebb2e787ba7177803b9fb3037209158.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Funny 1

Now, I know that it would be uncommon to see a coal merchant's private-owner wagon far from either the colliery or the merchant's local station, but how far can I stretch this? I ask because of this photo of a rather wonderful private-owner wagon based at Guildford (one end of the GSR) - can we come up with a (plausible!) reason for it to appear at Linton? I'm trying to avoid having too many "branches of existing coal merchants" as I don't think that was particularly common.

L9358_samp1.jpg

(Image source: http://lightmoor.co.uk/books/private-owner-wagons-a-seventh-collection/L9358 )

Then again, do I really want to have to letter all that? There isn't a POWSides transfer available...

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well, given that Linton is a fictitious station, it is entirely open to you to give F J Bonner siding space there. 

The GSR route gave the merchant the ability to expand by placing depots down its line. 

• Like 1

True... but I'm trying to avoid doing that too much, mostly because a) Linton Town is rather short on siding space and b) I've already got a few coal merchants using that limited siding space!

I suspect I may be guilty of the "But I want it, it's pretty!" school of modelling from time to time...

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Coal merchants could sell coal to other coal merchants.

Merchant A might have taken advantage of a summer special price offer from his regular colliery, and have some surplus to requirements, which he can sell at a higher price than he paid for it.

Merchant B has an urgent need for a wagonload of this particular coal, so shipment is arranged. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

That is a very good point! So it'd have to be an unusual working, but that would allow such a wagon to appear, especially as Guildford's less than ten miles away and on a direct line. Thank you!

As a thought, might also a coal merchant not from the local station be able to supply certain grades of coal to a small business owner in Linton? For example for one of Mr Dibbler's harebrained schemes honest business propositions, guv'nor?

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

Now, I know that it would be uncommon to see a coal merchant's private-owner wagon far from either the colliery or the merchant's local station, but how far can I stretch this? I ask because of this photo of a rather wonderful private-owner wagon based at Guildford (one end of the GSR) - can we come up with a (plausible!) reason for it to appear at Linton? I'm trying to avoid having too many "branches of existing coal merchants" as I don't think that was particularly common.

L9358_samp1.jpg

(Image source: http://lightmoor.co.uk/books/private-owner-wagons-a-seventh-collection/L9358 )

Then again, do I really want to have to letter all that? There isn't a POWSides transfer available...

Hi Linny,

If you fancy a cheat I've got a Wessex Wagons limited edition version of this wagon FJ Bonner/Toogood I wouldn't mind parting with. It's in almost new condition,reasonable box  made by Dapol in 2006.number 48 of  a run of 208. Always up for a swap...I model LBSCR circa 1905 West Sussex/East Hampshire coastal area.

If interested send an E....not that sort ta!

Cheers, Craig.

Edited by choo1choo
another mucking fuddle!

That's very kind, thank you.

I think I'll probably stick with kit built, as I'm a bit of a wagon nerd, and there's just enough differences between the prototype and the Dapol version that it wouldn't work for me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

That is a very good point! So it'd have to be an unusual working, but that would allow such a wagon to appear, especially as Guildford's less than ten miles away and on a direct line. Thank you!

As a thought, might also a coal merchant not from the local station be able to supply certain grades of coal to a small business owner in Linton? For example for one of Mr Dibbler's harebrained schemes honest business propositions, guv'nor?

I don't know the ins and outs, but there is no reason why one coal merchant with his own wagons might not arrange for a regular delivery to another merchant without, providing he was far enough away not to be a competitive threat, but in the case of a specific industry, that makes a lot of sense. Breweries/maltings required specific coal, for example, and a coal merchant might arrange for a wagonload or two to go direct to a local maltster. 

Edited by Regularity
This is fascinating: http://www.bures-online.co.uk/Maltings/Maltings2.htm
  • Like 2

I don't think the explanation of a customer needing a specific grade of coal works very well out of the box. If they order that grade, the merchant will just pass the order on to an appropriate colliery, or to a factor (in the latter case it may arrive in the factor's wagon). Any merchant should be able to get any grade of coal, if the customer approves the price and the delivery delay, which could be a few weeks. 

However, perhaps Mr. Bonner is undercutting the local merchants at Linton? Or perhaps the customer needs the coal right now, not in a month, and Mr. Bonner has stock?

Conversely, it looks to me like Bonner's wagon no.1 may be dedicated to supplying Mason and Toogood Ltd. I've come across other cases where a supplier has dedicated wagons to one customer.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

18 hours ago, Regularity said:

Now that really is a small world - a family member lives in a house in the Bures Maltings! I really must pay them a visit some time, especially as they're only one stop from the East Anglian Railway Museum and the Chappel Viaduct.

1920px-Chappel_Viaduct_and_Green.jpg

By Rbelcham at the English language Wikipedia, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=8685128

Edit: I almost forgot - another wagon has been produced, inspired by Gary @BlueLightning of this parish, which goes very nicely with the dray modelled above. However, I assume that the wagon is en route to Bisley via Linton (it's only a mile and a half away up the line) while the dray's making smaller local deliveries - it won't be appearing in the goods yard at Linton, but on the street.

20200116_105900.jpg

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Just cottoned on to the fact that for 5 1/2 years I lived more or less at the triangular junction giving access to/from Linton from north and south!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

For the first decade of my life I can't have lived far from Linton - I'm just trying to remember where it is, exactly...

See page 1 of this thread - it takes up the space currently occupied by the Bisley firing ranges.

• Informative/Useful 1

Well, it has been a fruitful evening! Last night I popped nine letters on a wagon while my dinner was cooking, spelling PATTERSON. This evening at club, while chatting, I produced from that and a blank wagon the following:

20200116_223125.jpg

I'm especially pleased with the Farrell & Co one, as it's my first departure from purely-horizontal lettering. It's not perfect, but it's not awful either. I want to add more tiny lettering to it, and it still needs load and tare markings. So this week that's been four wagons (or at least one side of each of four wagons):

20200116_222010.jpg

and when you combine these with the other kit-built wagons so far: 

20200116_214929.jpg

There's definitely a fleet. Now, I need to work on the other sides of four of these, and come up with a wagon for Thos. Kitching (to go with the dray). The dray's namesake has requested a "beige" wagon, which I think means it'll be buff/stone. Not sure that's a great livery for a coal wagon, but I've seen plenty of light-grey (at least when clean!) PO wagons, including some coal ones, so... Finding darker lettering to go on it? That'll be more of a challenge.I might have to raid the darker corners of the transfer box...

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

So, in keeping with the wagons theme... I had a long train journey on Friday evening, and a couple of hours free this weekend, and I have another journey coming up this evening. So, while I might not be able to do lettering transfers or painting or gluing, out came the laptop and the CAD software.

Can you tell what it is yet?
image.png.ac7acbe7d6e6eb0b3a4513b50c93fe4f.png

• Like 3

Looks like a cattle wagon to me.

• Agree 1