Creating a believable freelance pre-Group company

2 hours ago, Schooner said:

With pleasure, as soon as RTR manufacturers see the light :)

Something about the sloping front end puts me in mind of

In a very satisfying manner.

Wasn't that sloping front end because of some RN belief that a ram like Ancient Greek triremes had was still appropriate for the 20th century? The benefits of a Classical education! 

4 hours ago, whart57 said:

Wasn't that sloping front end because of some RN belief that a ram like Ancient Greek triremes had was still appropriate for the 20th century? The benefits of a Classical education! 

As I understand it, there were experiments with rams on ironclads in the 19th century. They proved surprisingly effective in the Battle of Lissa in 1866 between the Italian and Austro-Hungarian fleets and were a design feature for several decades after.

54 minutes ago, Tom Burnham said:

As I understand it, there were experiments with rams on ironclads in the 19th century. They proved surprisingly effective in the Battle of Lissa in 1866 between the Italian and Austro-Hungarian fleets and were a design feature for several decades after.

HMS Camperdown's proved tragically effective against HMS Victoria!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 hours ago, Tom Burnham said:

I suspect that was because the way Lissa turned into a series of duels between individual Italian and Austrian ships appealed to naval commanders a lot more than the technical issues of gunnery. Lissa occurred at a time where improvements in ship armour - ironclads - outstripped the power of most gunnery of the time, rifled artillery and large calibre guns were only just being developed. But the result was that more ships were sunk through accidental collision than through a hostile ramming action. And the ram was a drag on speed and manoeuvrability as well.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

12 hours ago, Schooner said:

Okay okay, there are two loco's I'd order...!

Furness_Railway_steam_locomotive_No.20_(

Where was that photo taken?  Looks like Bo'ness as I don't think the CR coaches have ever left there.  I have travelled in one of them behind 828 and 439  double heading.

DSC_0955.JPG.2b0facad7d2af799bd1ba839f585ecf0.JPG

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold