School Project - The Victorian Railway

Damn you James!!!!! I will have that in my head all day now!!!!!!!!

Now I must go sort dinner out so I can take my daughter to Guides, where she is spending the evening making slime!!!

Gary

PINK FLUFFY UNICORNS DANCING ON RAINBOWS!

I always preferred mucking out an ashpit over making slime: you didn't need to make the slime yourself then - At the MHR the ashpit at Ropley became known as the pit of doom, and one merely had to walk through it to come out looking like a Welsh Minor Miner.

Mind you, that was being a heritage railway volunteer rather than being a guide: they're the ones who took the tours round the works!

Hat,

Can't find me coat!

GONE!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I will try and modify it to be hollow, the trouble being that this could now render the model unprintable. I should've thought about this earlier, even though I was discussing it with the WNR's CME...

If so, we can always drill out the centre of the boiler ourselves!

The backhead is now a 'plug' that sits inside the end of the boiler, attached to a sprue. Cut away the sprue, pack the boiler full of lead, then plug the backhead piece onto the back!

post-33498-0-94457000-1520278386_thumb.png

• Like 4

The backhead is now a 'plug' that sits inside the end of the boiler, attached to a sprue. Cut away the sprue, pack the boiler full of lead, then plug the backhead piece onto the back!

attachicon.gifDT5.png

'Craftsman Clever' indeed!  Well done that man!

I would say 'design-clever', but that phrase has less impressive associations!

That took about 10 minutes. The motionwork was much harder to fathom!

Thanks to Mike Trice, I now have yet further reference images!

Considering I've never seen the prototype I don't think I'm doing all that bad.

• Like 1

A very interesting 0-8-0WT shown in your daughter's drawing!

I don't blame you for being shocked...

Under cross-examination, the witness, a minor of previous pink fluffy character, revealed an impressive grasp of the Whyte notation and declared that she had intended to represent not an 0-8-0, but a 2-4-2. 

Well, if she thinks she's getting hold of my A Class, she's got another think coming!

She added that I was not to post this explanation, because she did not want you to be sad that you had got it wrong!

And you wonder why I am in a continual state of stunned amazement with this child?

• Like 2

A 2-4-2T... she has taste!

I am far from hurt! Indeed, I am happy to be proven wrong!

Next she'll be telling you it wasn't meant to be an 'A', but was instead intended to be a GER M15!!!

If it's the latter... then CA may require one for the loco fleet!

A 2-4-2T... she has taste!

I am far from hurt! Indeed, I am happy to be proven wrong!

Next she'll be telling you it wasn't meant to be an 'A', but was instead intended to be a GER M15!!!

If it's the latter... then CA may require one for the loco fleet!

Quite possibly!

Ah, the supper gong!

• RMweb Gold

In this house, its often the smoke detector.....

That’s one reason why I don’t let my wife cook.

The other is that, despite the production of excess carbon, she still manages to undercook everything...

Courtesy of Old Gringo of this parish, the track arrived yesterday.  Daughter has enjoyed clipping it together.

Today, motive power in the form of the motorised coal tender unit for the Hackworth arrived.  It's tiny!

post-25673-0-67743300-1520424028_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-92844700-1520424059_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Wow, that is tiny! Didn't realise it had spoked wheels either - saves me another job! Still need the wheel diameter though, to scale photos by.

On another note, anyone who wishes to purchase the wheels, axles and motion for 'Derwent' can do so now from my shapeways shop.

I used a few of those SPUDs when I was into 0-16.5, and they are good, but need a fair bit of weight on them for reliable current collection, and to allow them to deploy any meaningful tractive effort. They worked best under fairly lumpy white metal models of narrow gauge diesels.

If the tender is going to be as small as I'm guessingt might be, you might want to think of making it from a solid lump of lead, steel or brass, skinned with cosmetic whatever.

• Like 2

I used a few of those SPUDs when I was into 0-16.5, and they are good, but need a fair bit of weight on them for reliable current collection, and to allow them to deploy any meaningful tractive effort. They worked best under fairly lumpy white metal models of narrow gauge diesels.

If the tender is going to be as small as I'm guessingt might be, you might want to think of making it from a solid lump of lead, steel or brass, skinned with cosmetic whatever.

I may well need to make the tender able to be printed in steel or brass.

Also, James, would it be possible for you to send me the wheelbase dimension?

Yes, on it's own, it doesn't have the weight to adhere to my long points on CA.

Wheel base: 24.5mm

Wheel diameter: 10.5mm

Note to self: Don't forget (again) to purchase x2 10.5mm spoked wheel-sets for the water tender.