School Project - The Victorian Railway

Fantastic progress with the project.

Together, you've achieved more in the weekend than many of us manage in several months!

Looking forward to the next developments.

More power to your elbows,

Best wishes, John.

• Like 1

Well, unfortunately the project has taken a huge setback.

I received a message from James today informing me that the loco section of Derwent isn't currently printable. I have had this issue previously with i.materialise, and may think a few times before using them again. They have, to date, allowed James, Myself and Linny to order models only to then tell us, some time later, that they require attention. Shapeways has its flaws, but at least they inform a potential customer of any faults prior to ordering. 

I hope to sort the problem tonight. I also apologise to all others who have either ordered this model already or intend to. I feel like I've let you all down, to be honest.

Sorry, I am having a bit of a bad time of it myself, so haven't been able to look at the topic today.  My stress levels (over Real Life stuff) are such that I am actually suffering some kind of reduced mental function at the moment.    

Clearly there are issues with printing Derwent, I suppose something of an experimental design(!), and time and money-wise we probably only get one shot at printing and delivery.  

Sem is working his socks off and not sleeping (from what I can tell), so rest assured that Heroic Efforts are being made.

Via PM, to which I have yet to reply, I have received an incredibly generous offer of the loan of a stand-in from a member of the parish.

So, let me seek some order in this chaos.

The bad news is that we lose Tabitha's labours to a school trip to France Thursday-Monday. 

The good news is that the project deadline is not end of March, but 18 April!!!!! :sungum:  :no:

The even better news is that the last 3 weeks before the deadline is the Easter holidays, so Tabitha will have plenty of time.

This also means that I will be able to visit the traders at the York show in time to use any stuff I acquire there (like scenic accessories and material or Gibson 10.5mm wheels for the other tender, for instance).

So, working back from the 18 April D-Day, we need the time to build and paint the model, having received it from the 3D printers.  By when, then, do successful printable designs need to be ordered?

• Like 3

Phew! That gives me tomorrow to iron out the final errors, redo the front tender and get everything sorted. I'd suggest (with i.materialise) to leave 3 weeks, so we really were pushing it. I am glad of that deadline, and it eases a tad of pressure and means I should be in bed before 5:00am tomorrow morning!

Real life gets in the way of the nice stuff, and I've been fortunate to have ample time to work on Derwent. The project is now back on track and all is not lost.

Hopefully, with the extended date, there will be no need for a stand-in!

That said, I would imagine a backup is always helpful, and perhaps No.1 could sit alongside No.25?

Would derwent's wheels be the same size as locomotion'? It would improve my model no end and make duplicating it easier, too...

• Like 1

Would derwent's wheels be the same size as locomotion'? It would improve my model no end and make duplicating it easier, too...

I believe they are both 4'0" diameter

There are a different pattern, but also preserved No.1 has odd wheels. 

post-25673-0-39407300-1521187410_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

This also means that I will be able to visit the traders at the York show in time to use any stuff I acquire there (like scenic accessories and material or Gibson 10.5mm wheels for the other tender, for instance).

I have a kitchen pass from my good lady so I can go to York and spend some hard earned cash. York is one of my favourite shows - You never know, we might bump into each other and not even know it!!! 

• Like 2

I have a kitchen pass from my good lady so I can go to York and spend some hard earned cash. York is one of my favourite shows - You never know, we might bump into each other and not even know it!!! 

Ian, it would be great to meet. I will let you know which day (either Saturday or Sunday) I'll be there

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ian, it would be great to meet. I will let you know which day (either Saturday or Sunday) I'll be there

Definitely - i will be going the Saturday and just ordered the advanced ticket. Access 15 mins earlier than everyone else and 50p cheaper after postage costs, so a bargain in my book!!!

• Like 1

Definitely - i will be going the Saturday and just ordered the advanced ticket. Access 15 mins earlier than everyone else and 50p cheaper after postage costs, so a bargain in my book!!!

Then I will see you on the Saturday!

I will take the train and walk to the race course.  That was very pleasant last year.  Of course, this year the weather might not be so kind ... 

Here is progress to date.  T made a start on the scenery as soon as the track was sorted.  Rather than use a full-length backscene, including sky, to separate the two scenes, we decided to use a cut out representing the moors on the horizon and build up the scenery in front of this. I made this profile, and then T got cracking with the papier mâché. Since then, she has been progressively adding to it with the idea that an absence of 4 days in France might give it all a chance to dry. 

post-25673-0-02985400-1521224171_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-60522700-1521224261_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-70372600-1521224357_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-78145200-1521224505_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-49629600-1521224562_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-45913300-1521224780_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-08805500-1521225072_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Ah! The smell of papier mâché - in the absence of teleolfaction, we'll all have to make up a small batch of wallpaper paste and mash in some newspaper...

Noted the Duette humming to itself in the background.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2