Representational modelling; early 1920s, GWR 36xx

1 hour ago, brumtb said:

I'm not sure of actual numbers but here are some quotes from the HMRS book All about Iron Minks:

"large scale condemnation of the 16' 6 (early, 1887 built) began in 1932 and all but seven had gone by September 1939.  However, these seven survived world War 2 and three achieved nationalisation"

"the majority (of the standard 1888-1901 built) were condemned in the period 1933 to 1939 but an appreciable number survived World War 2 and passed into British Railways ownership"

"in 1980 it is known that there are still a very few iron minks and their derivatives in departmental us in British Rail"

So they had a pretty good innings!

Tony   

Some had flush-panel rather than the usual recessed-type doors fitted, and/or ended up being used for explosives traffic (the actual GPVs owed a lot to Mink design). I used to have a couple in BR grey running as such on a North Wales layout (large scale slate/granite quarrying plus the ICI works at Penrhyndeudraeth meant they were a common sight on the Cambrian, etc.).

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There was a spate of Iron Mink-inspired gunpowder van building from 1904, when revised RCH specifications meant that several companies' existing gunpowder vans were deemed sub-par. The LNWR had ones that were identical to the genuine Great Western article except for the running gear; I believe other companies also had straight copies too. So is it possible that some apparent late survivors were not in fact Great Western vehicles?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just spotted this post, and back in the 1970s as a teenager I attempted my first scratch build - which was a 36xx from, as I recall, some drawings in a Railway Modeller. (I don't suppose anyone recalls which edition?)

Brass footplate, tank sides and roof. Rolled plasticard boiler (had to do the early parallel-sided version!), firebox from layered plasticard, and smokebox door fashioned from Plastic Padding. Fittings turned in my dad's electric drill from brass rod, excepting chimney and valve cover. X04 motor and Romfords. 1/16" x 1/2" brass chassis sides.

I've just tidied it up - replacing the pony trucks (which were a bit of brass sheet with a U-shaped plasticard section glue over the axle) with solid milled brass ones which 'fill' the underside properly. Also put new Romfords as the mazak-centred originals had a bit of a 'wobble', and Gibson pony wheels.

I replaced the coupling rods - which I remember making from a baked beans can (steel for strength!!) - with Gibson ones which amazingly fitted the chassis I drilled from a drawing with a hand drill!

New pickups too.

I know it's still very amateurish, but it's a nostaligic reminder of modelling days past and what can be done with a Tilley blowlamp soldering bit (!!) and hand tools. It is a very decent runner now.

EDIT: found a picture of it at work in the 1970s.

IMG_6879.jpeg

2014-12-26 at 11-48-48 (1).jpg

Edited by 97xx
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, 97xx said:

Just spotted this post, and back in the 1970s as a teenager I attempted my first scratch build - which was a 36xx from, as I recall, some drawings in a Railway Modeller. (I don't suppose anyone recalls which edition?)

Brass footplate, tank sides and roof. Rolled plasticard boiler (had to do the early parallel-sided version!), firebox from layered plasticard, and smokebox door fashioned from Plastic Padding. Fittings turned in my dad's electric drill from brass rod, excepting chimney and valve cover. X04 motor and Romfords. 1/16" x 1/2" brass chassis sides.

I've just tidied it up - replacing the pony trucks (which were a bit of brass sheet with a U-shaped plasticard section glue over the axle) with solid milled brass ones which 'fill' the underside properly. Also put new Romfords as the mazak-centred originals had a bit of a 'wobble', and Gibson pony wheels.

I replaced the coupling rods - which I remember making from a baked beans can (steel for strength!!) - with Gibson ones which amazingly fitted the chassis I drilled from a drawing with a hand drill!

New pickups too.

I know it's still very amateurish, but it's a nostaligic reminder of modelling days past and what can be done with a Tilley blowlamp soldering bit (!!) and hand tools. It is a very decent runner now.

EDIT: found a picture of it at work in the 1970s.

IMG_6879.jpeg

2014-12-26 at 11-48-48 (1).jpg

Well done that looks really good.  Railway Modeller, November 1977, which I still have and refer to!  Nostalgic but still pertinent today with the advent of the new generic pre-grouping coaches. 

Tony

• 2 months later...