Mendip stone trains

jonny777

In my naivety, and not keeping that up to date with the current scene I have always thought of stone trains to Merehead or Whatley running up and down the Berks & Hants, but from looking at the Real Time Trains schedules, a large number seem to go via Swindon and Thingley Junction. 

Is this a modern phenomenon, or has it been going on for years?

Maybe it is a temporary arrangement for reasons unknown to me; but I would have thought that with the number of high speed services between Didcot and Wootton Bassett Junc, the extra freight flow would interfere with trains to Wales and Bristol more than the SW services via Newbury. 

Edited by jonny777

The normal route for most services is via the B&H, but it has always been the case that at times when there is planned engineering work

trains will be diverted via Melksham for the week. Is there currently engineering work going on?

cheers

The only regular booked daytime Mendip traffic via Swindon is Wootton Bassett (r/r at Swindon), Appleford and Oxford. The Oxford empties return via the B&H. Once every few weeks the B&H is shut at night for routine maintenance, and the overnight trains divert via Melksham and Swindon. 6V98 Acton - Whatley on a Monday and Friday (though technically for Tarmac not Mendips) lunchtime seems to fluctuate which way it goes Reading to Westbury, presumably as the paths are STPs.

I believe the current diversions are for a mix of relaying and electrification work. This week is Mon - Thurs, there's a load more planned through the year. Here's the GWR page, listing all the relevant dates https://www.gwr.com/travel-updates/planned-engineering/newbury2018

Jo