Well I have now put the transfers on to the toplight and given it a coat of varnish. I have used Railtec for the first time and very nice they are, I will have no hesitation in using them again.

Finally a couple of pictures of the Collett suburbans in service, needless to say the roofs have been painted. Looking at the second photo, I'll have to sort that running in board, I think it has been nudged.

Brian

1001127156_P1040533(2).JPG.9798e968c11efdbc46156a7fdc841dee.JPG

859030600_P1040536(2).JPG.be92d394caf12a2af1d8874caa848115.JPG

• Like 10

It's been a while since I last posted but I have not been completely idle. Nothing has been done to the layout itself, however I have been doing some modelling on the bench, some of it for a club layout.

A couple of pictures to keep the thread alive.

First up a special to Barry Island headed by 4018 Knight of the Gran Cross. Unusually Hornby produced the name that I wanted because I have a photo of this engine travelling along the causeway to Barry Island. A bit of dulling down the smokebox, fitting lamps, real coal and the biggest job, changing the roundel to the earlier wording. I did buy a set of etched plates although I have only used the cab side numbers. One day I will add a crew, I had nothing in stock that was suitable.

1281108599_P1040546(2).JPG.cda9615cc7f14ad20becb617a284cc9a.JPG

As part of the train we find the toplight which I have mentioned before. I still need to make up the handrails to the roof but it is now serviceable. Not as easy to build as it should have been but it was a challenge.

1181608648_P1040547(2).JPG.3f8ec5e4c14a6a05e2b7867b1ced3c27.JPG

Brian

• Like 9

Not a lot happening on the layout, partly because I had to take out one board so that the gas boiler could be serviced, but I have been busy on the modelling desk and there are a couple of projects just getting started, more of that later. The main part of my modelling time has been spent doing homework for a club project which will be on show at our exhibition on 12/13 October. I don't think the project will be complete by then but it should look OK.

1256186230_P1040548(2).JPG.58cb2c5130e086f8cfbc703bb5a524f2.JPG

The layout in question is Radford Mill which the club bought from the estate of the late Peter Wright, long standing members of RMWeb may know the layout as Worsthorne. It was always Pete's aim to add the extension and we are trying to follow the spirit of his ideas using the boards that he had already built, however we often think that it is easier to start from scratch rather than modify an existing layout. Come along and see how we are doing at our exhibition on 12/13 October, details will be posted in the Exhibition forum.

Brian

• Like 5

Nothing new to report, as I mentioned earlier I have been busy working on a club layout ready for our show which I'm glad to say went well and visitor numbers were up. I can now start getting back to my projects but first we are having a few days staying in Barry, partly to visit the Cardiff show on Saturday. We are staying at the Barry Island Premier Inn, sounds so much better than Barry Docks where it actually is. Hope to see some of you there.

Brian

It's been a while since I posted an update and quite a bit has happened since then, although not on the layout itself, I think I have mentioned before that I spend far more time modelling than running. The trip to Barry went very well and we really enjoyed the Cardiff show and chatting to a few fellow RMWebbers. Happily, the sale of my mother's house was completed at the end of October, although we are still waiting for the funds from the solicitors, and since then I have found it much easier to concentrate on some modelling. Another loco is waiting for the paint shop and I have also made a lot of progress with a Collett full brake from a Comet kit.

916055897_P1040554(2).JPG.05d9571892b579dcb4b0be18cff69e1a.JPG

I must admit that I do find building coaches to be a bit of a chore, but at least this one doesn't have much interior to deal with. Not quite ready for painting but not far off, anyway it is not suitable weather to get into the garage to get the airbrush out.

Looking forward to a trip to the GBMRS tomorrow and especially seeing Hungerford again.

Brian

• Craftsmanship/clever 1