Mk1 Roof Filler Pipes

Does anybody know or have easy access to measure the diameter of the roof tank filler pipes on the ends of MK1 coaches. I am trying to upgrade some Hornby examples and need to know what size of wire to use.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

• RMweb Gold

I would be very surprised if the real ones are not 1" diameter, which is about 0.33mm, for 4mm scale coaches.  Check it out on a preserved railway if you can, and the distance the pipe stands proud of the roof as well.

Thanks for your reply, but I am hoping someone may have a measured dimension.

I think 0.3 is too small. There are some images in Parkin's book which show a roof vent on a catering vehicle of the hook type pipe with a diameter of 7/8th of an inch. The pipe running along the roof adjacent is considerably bigger so I am wondering if the diameter is closer to 1.75"

I don't have direct access to a prototype MK 1 at the moment hence my request.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

0.5mm brass wire looks fine

Thank you to everybody who replied to this question. I have been able to measure the fillers of the Mk1 coaches on the Dean Forest Railway and they were 1.4" outside diameter, so 0.45mm diameter is pretty close.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

I had to mutilate some Bachmann MK 1's to get at the weights so it is useful to know that 0.5 mm wire is suitable as a replacement. A related question is what colour are they. The bacchie ones are black and the Hornby moulded ones are the roof colour, which is correct?

I had to mutilate some Bachmann MK 1's to get at the weights so it is useful to know that 0.5 mm wire is suitable as a replacement. A related question is what colour are they. The bacchie ones are black and the Hornby moulded ones are the roof colour, which is correct?

Black to roof line and then roof coloured to the filler pot.