Caledonian Basin - railway-in-a-box diorama

brylonscamel

I must confess to photoshopping some of my uploaded images; especially things like cruel close ups of wagons or coaches I've built but when you first see the photo there's those annoying bits of fluff stuck to them your eyeball didn't detect. My mild OCD-ness insists I edit those away!

A shame we do not have the technology to 3D-photoshop things in reality and issue special virtual world glasses to the viewer, would save a lot of time!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

I must confess to photoshopping some of my uploaded images; especially things like cruel close ups of wagons or coaches I've built but when you first see the photo there's those annoying bits of fluff stuck to them your eyeball didn't detect. My mild OCD-ness insists I edit those away!

A shame we do not have the technology to 3D-photoshop things in reality and issue special virtual world glasses to the viewer, would save a lot of time!

Yes .. I've removed the odd dog hair that's made it into the edit! Photos at the sort of close proximity available from digital cameras reveal all sorts of gaps, fluff, detritus and poor modelling!!

Oh and a plus one for the goggles. Rose-tinted. Obviously.

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...

I haven't update Caledonia Basin here for a while as I set myself a slightly daft schedule to give Dad's home-based layout 'Braeside' a facelift.

Amid the frenzy of making small buildings, I finally got a few coats of coach varnish on the canal wharf, which now looks more 'aquatic' ... Here are colour and black & white renditions

48358306177_d7990a0c3d_o_(1).jpg

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

The canal looks delightfully murky! Good to see the new photos. 

And yes, being mildly curious, even intrigued, I'm off to see what's been happening!:yes:

Thanks! .. I spent a bit of time making a base colour that seemed the right shade of murky

Oh, Simon, you're such a wit. A shining wit! :D

I like your canal colour. Just right. I used to know a gent who owned a canal boat and enjoyed several holidays with him and his mates going around the canals of the NW. All canals that I recall are a universal 'turd brown' except at the source leat of the Llangollen where it was so clear you could see the bottom, and at the northern portal of Harecastle tunnel on the Trent & Mersey where, due to ironstone geology the water is the most striking bright orange colour.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I know the Llangollen having spent three weeks up there with the hotel boats "Rose & Castle" .. the water has a different quality up there .. as I'm sure you know it has more of a "flow" as the canal acts as a conduit for fresh water supplied from the Welsh hills. We were up there to take the boats down a newly opened stretch of the Montgomery canal.

We had a rare couple of days free so I had a lovely time with my bike, exploring some hills around Llangollen. All of which were monstrously steep!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 22/08/2019 at 19:47, Martin S-C said:

....I like your canal colour. Just right............. All canals that I recall are a universal 'turd brown'

When I get around to doing my canal is 'Turd Brown' a Vellejo or Railmatch colour?

• Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...