Budget wheels?

Thunderforge

Peco R0-1s look like a quality entry level wheel, but I wondered if anyone knew of a budget brand of wagon wheels?

I’ve googled and not found anything, and maybe they’re my best choice, but it’s always worth asking.

My attempts at making wagons from reclaimed materials I can source for free, but I’m a long way from being a wheelwright!

Edited by Thunderforge

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Hallmodelspares, I'll look into those.

I'm going to have a go at casting some wheels as well!

I do not know of any cast wheels that did not require turning on a lathe to make them smooth enough to run.

The only non lathe method is probably very high end injection moulding, but if you do go down that route it is expensive!

I've tried my own injection moulded wheels with a friends injection moulding machine, but we ended up having to put turned steel rims on them.

Plastic also picks up loads of dirt and associated crud from the track,,,,and puts it back too.

Edited by Happy Hippo

• 2 weeks later...

If you know any ScaleSeven modellers then they are likely to have finescale (and even coarse scale ) wheels that they’ve taken out of second-hand stock or from kits where the wheels couldn’t be swapped. However (assuming that I’m a typical S7 modellers) they aren’t likely to give them away - after all they could be re-profiled - plus there would be postage to be paid. Hand-over at an exhibition might be a possibility.