Javis Scenics

• RMweb Gold

I am very suprised you didnt get any replies to this. I have used them in the past, and I have seen some layouts in the modelling press which have used them as well. Ideal for covering large areas quickly, but will need "detailing" to look convincing as the whole sheet is the exact same and look monotone. Recommend you use the sheet over rolled up newpaper, or if planting trees, you will need a firmer base such as polystyrene etc, glue or fix down (hot glue gun works well), then cover the area with different shades of longer static grass and different flocks. Hairspray or use 3M/War World Scenics/Peco spray adhesive to fix additional layers.

I found with mine that the mat malted and if you handle it alot, you will get bald patches.

This product looks interesting though.....https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/1200x600mm-field-zone-battle-mat-javis.html and seems to have a varied cover layer and textures.

I am very suprised you didnt get any replies to this. I have used them in the past, and I have seen some layouts in the modelling press which have used them as well. Ideal for covering large areas quickly, but will need "detailing" to look convincing as the whole sheet is the exact same and look monotone. Recommend you use the sheet over rolled up newpaper, or if planting trees, you will need a firmer base such as polystyrene etc, glue or fix down (hot glue gun works well), then cover the area with different shades of longer static grass and different flocks. Hairspray or use 3M/War World Scenics/Peco spray adhesive to fix additional layers.

I found with mine that the mat malted and if you handle it alot, you will get bald patches.

This product looks interesting though.....https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/1200x600mm-field-zone-battle-mat-javis.html and seems to have a varied cover layer and textures.

Thanks for the positive response - in the absence of any earlier comments I'd already taken a punt on a sheet of static grass plus some loose stuff so I'll experiment when it arrives. Groundwork has already been constructed from a polystyrene base covered in a plaster mix. Some pics of progress on my layout are in my blog but groundwork is now complete and waiting for grass etc.:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/2255/entry-20711-a-stroll-by-the-canal/

Nice work on your layout, though!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the positive response - in the absence of any earlier comments I'd already taken a punt on a sheet of static grass plus some loose stuff so I'll experiment when it arrives. Groundwork has already been constructed from a polystyrene base covered in a plaster mix. Some pics of progress on my layout are in my blog but groundwork is now complete and waiting for grass etc.:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/2255/entry-20711-a-stroll-by-the-canal/

Nice work on your layout, though!

Thanks for the comment and your layout looks great. I would have gone for painting the plaster mix with brown/green paint, then covered with scatter, then topped off with various grades of static grass. The applicators can be pricey though, so I made my own. The mats are an ideal starting point. I have one ready to use on the middle section of my layout for more fields and will see how I can get it to look by adding more grass, foilage etc.

Looking forward to seeing how your looks after the mat has been applied etc.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

TBH I find all the mats a bit lurid in one way or another (Javis, Noch, Gaugemaster etc).  However, as mentioned above they can be a good way of covering an area quickly and then using it as 'undercoat' for spreading mixtures of scatter or static grass on top.  The area to the front here is Gaugemaster summer mat but then I added lots of small areas of static grass 'the same but different' if that makes sense, to get some shading.

40319649181_43e393e530_z.jpgrev IMAG0190 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

• Like 1

Does anyone have experience of using Javis static grass mats for basic landscaping? Any views gratefully received.

Our silly joke layout in our shop window is built on a javis static grass mat. Looks good for covering a large area.

post-22956-0-71055500-1523974464_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Our silly joke layout in our shop window is built on a javis static grass mat. Looks good for covering a large area.

attachicon.gifDSC_0638.JPG

Appreciate the comments. I've carved up a grass mat today and glued it down. And, yes, I can see it's the basis for further work! See link ...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/2255/entry-20780-a-bit-more-scenic-work/  

• 1 year later...

Wall-paper paste would do it.  When I did my layout, I mixed the paste a little strong, as if it was for a heavy paper or for a paper border.  Keep a little of the made-up paste for a couple of days in case you have to stick down a corner again.

Edit:  It is also a good idea to dilute a bit of the paste first, brush it onto the part(s) of the board that you want to stick the static grass mat onto, and let it dry before you stick the mat on.  Otherwise the board will absorb the paste on the back of the mat too quickly, and you are more likely to get wrinkles in the mat.

In other words, do it as if you were wall-papering a small piece of wall that just happens to be horizontal rather than vertical.

Edited by Richard Lee
Added extra hint
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2