Hattons OO Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST fitting Zimo DCC Sound

John YouChoos

For those feeling brave, here's some notes on fitting Zimo (MX648) DCC Sound into the new Hattons Andrew Barclay Saddle.  The notes that come with the model suggest that this is almost impossible, but I found that it wasn't too hard at all - just got to pick the right equipment and be neat...

We've used the MX648 sound decoder and a YouChoos Minnow6, although I reckon we could have got a SugarCube7 in.  The Minnow6 performs well though, and if necessary there may even be space to add a tiny stay-alive (the new Zimo SACC16 kit is a tiny SMD-based PCB replacing the old SPEIKOMP kit, and with Tantalums, could give some options).

Just a taster with a few photos in this post, but the full install guide is available at this link:
http://youchoos.co.uk/Index-Resource.php?L1=Guides&Item=OOHatBarc

So here, the model to begin with, little "Katie":

Barc-01.jpg

Opening up reveals the 6pin socket board and a 'bit' of space.  There is also some additional space in the nose:

Barc-06.jpg

MX648 has the heat shrink removed, and unwanted wires removed, as well as wires on the outer row reversed, so the overall length is as short as possible.  Kapton tape wrapped on afterwards.  This then JUST fits sideways in the boiler:

Barc-19.jpg

Wired motor up directly to decoder, and Minnow6 speaker all connected:

Barc-25.jpg

Speaker in the nose, secured with Black Tack:

Barc-30.jpg

Decoder angled sideways behind speaker:

Barc-33.jpg

All done!

Barc-37.jpg

Overall sound is good, and the loco runs pretty well for such a small thing. Would certainly benefit from a bit of stay-alive and with some shoe-horning I think it would be possible to use a cut-down SACC16 kit with perhaps 1 or maybe even 2 Tantalum capacitors, but not trying that today!

Enjoy!

John

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so I said I'd have a go at adding stay-alive into the Barclay, and here it is... using Zimo's new tiny PCB stay-alive kit, the SACC16 and a single 330uF Tantalum. Not huge backup power by any stretch, but enough to noticeably improve general running...

Also now loaded with YouChoos' new genuine Andrew Barclay sound project!

BarcStayAlive2.jpg

BarcStayAlive4.jpg

BarcStayAlive6.jpg

Enjoy!

Edited by John YouChoos
  • Like 3