Railway Colours from Ammo Paint by Mig Jemenez

Hi Guys

My local model shop has just moved into Ammo Paints by Mig Jemenez (www.migjimenez.com) as a replacement for another brand of acrylic paints that has been causing them a lot of problems. 

Talking to some "experts" on the exhibition and demonstration circuit has told me that this is a really good range of paints BUT it's colour names are all geared towards war gaming and military modelling and, as you might guess, I'm interested in railway modelling colours.

Great! Decent Paint!  However, I have a minor colour perception issue (not colour blind, the exact opposite, I'm CP1, I perceive many more colours and colour variations than the average observer would) so I find looking at colour charts and making educated guesses about which colour to use to paint, say, a 16T mineral wagon actually very difficult.

Exam question:

Does anybody know of (or have) a table of equivalent colours for the various railway livery colours we would commonly use?  Let's say fitted goods bauxite, unfitted goods grey, for early BR era and equivalent colours for the grouping era companies.

TIA

Cheers

Elliott

Hi,

Interesting question. Firstly I've no experience of Ammo paints, out local shop stocks Gunze + Tamiya both of which I have used for wagon painting. I don't get hung up on getting exact matches as any colour pic of wagons shows huge variations.

I've used Tamiya's XF90 RAF Light grey for unfitted and XF79 Linoleum brown for fitted, they're reasonably close. Now this isn't much use really to you unless they stock Tamiya as well but might give you a starting point. A NATO brown is a passable match for late bauxite.

Sadly printed or online colour charts aren't much use for comparisons.

You could though take a wagon or paint sample in and check though the Ammo/Vallejo bottles don't exactly help.

Probably not much help but good luck.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't worry too much about getting an exact match for the original colours, if you look at pictures no two wagons are ever exactly the same shade of colour anyway, and unless you are modelling ex works stock only without any weathering it doesn't really matter.

As an example, for my 16 ton minerals I have RAF, Luftwaffe, local Chino Supermercado, Games Workshop and others shades of BR wagon grey, including "proper" versions by Phoenix, Precision etc, all of which differ slightly.

If it looks something correct to your eyes just buy it, you'll not be far out.

Mike.

• Like 2

I agree with Mike. On my 'bauxite' BR wagon fleet I've used all sorts of 'browns' including the Tamiya NATO one along with various £1 Crafters orangey brown acrylics and several 'proper' Phoenix/Humbrol/Railmatch paints. 

I often mix them wet on wet on the actual wagon. It gives a great variety of tones and shades that, to my eyes at least, looks fairly realistic.

• Like 1