Hornsey as a diesel depot

18B

A long shot,

but would anyone happen to know what provision was made for diesels at Hornsey shed.

I've "plans" for a partition to be put up for four roads to be given over to diesels and also a plan for those four roads to be reduced to two... but I don't know if either or any work was actually undertaken? was any one there to remember or have any pics of what was actually done?

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

I was a very young secondman when I was allocated to work Engine Movements at Hornsey depot in 1970/71, we didn't do a lot of engine movements, but there was a fuel point inside the shed, the driver would reverse the loco out of the shed, I would be in the other cab, I would then drop off the loco, change the points for the correct stabling road, then get back in the cab. On the picture below, taken on one of those days, on EM, I think you'll find that the empty road between the class 40 and 47 was the fueling road, the others being stabling roads.

I had time to wander around the shed, but I was more interested in the steam past of the shed, than the diesel days, so I was checking out the sand driers and the OLD coal stage, backing onto the 'New river', should have taken a picture of that to. Ah well.

Hope this helps. In the background of the pic, you can just make out the old 'Ally Pally'.

manna

post-19471-0-22568500-1526173736_thumb.jpg

Edited by manna
  • Like 5

I started at Hornsey as a cleaner in 1961,there were only two  roads inside the shed,1&3? with the other two roads terminated at the entrance..

Both roads had full length pits, but i think they were shorter than steam days holding two diesels on each.and floor area was concreted over its full length.

I cant recollect their being any internal fuelling carried out as the fuel sidings were on the Hornsey Carriage Sidings side of the footbridge.and returning locos usually refuelled on arrival at the shed,

Equipment inside was minimal, i remember a couple of mobile maintenance platforms and water hoses but not a lot else,

Shed staff at that time  were a charge hand foreman in charge of labourers and cleaners,and i think two mechanical staff on a day shift who did routine checks,anything else was attended to at Clarence Yard ,they had a cabin at the bottom of number four rd, 

The roads number 5-8 were unchanged,

I don't think the building had any doors.

Happy days!

Don.