Guinness 08s: Lion & Unicorn

Johnfromoz

Hi all,

I recently invested in (yet another!) Dapol 08, this time the DCC special in Guinness Livery. Now, I am familiar with this loco and its sister, having seen and photted them several times in the factory at OOC several times in the 1980s. Indeed, for a period of time they seemed to be permanent fixtures there.

However, research as I may, I am unable to unearth any photo records of them earning a living. In fact, photos of rail activity around the old brewery at Park Royal seem scarce. Can anybody steer me towards images, records or recollections of rail traffic at the brewery? What sort of vans were used (possibly early cargowaggons?) and what shunting moves were involved?

Thanks in advance.

Never saw the Park Royal brewery, but I did encounter wagonloads of the product at various times:-

late 1970s/ early 1980s; wagons used were VEV Vanwides, the barrels being hand-stacked. They used to work to Longport (Stoke) when I worked there.

mid-1980s: BR VAA/VBA/VDA/VGA air-braked vans. Saw these at Tyneside Central Freight Depot when I worked nearby.

late 1980s until the demise of Speedlink: BR VGAs and bogie Ferryvans.

It was rare to see an 08 moving at all wasn't it?  :onthequiet: I think I saw one moving only once or twice.

I guess that's why many have been withdrawn & not replaced: They did so little that is became more practical to use a visiting loco to shunt its own train.

It was rare to see an 08 moving at all wasn't it?  :onthequiet: I think I saw one moving only once or twice.

I guess that's why many have been withdrawn & not replaced: They did so little that is became more practical to use a visiting loco to shunt its own train.

That is judging yesterday by today as many of the locations that were producing wagon load traffic and required regular shunting throughout the day!

A V Dawson’s at Middlesbrough currently has two operational O8 used and on some days a quite busy.

The demise of Speedlink was cause of much decline in the number of industrial locomotives!

Mark Saunders

By and large, my recollection of gronks generally was one of hard working shunters, certainly in the wider BR fleet, but the Guinness 08s.........well thats another story!

Still, they survived at Park Royal for over a decade, so must have been doing something useful there. Its just really odd that there is no record of them in revenue earning work. One wonders why they were at OOC So much of the time in the mid 80s?

• RMweb Premium

By and large, my recollection of gronks generally was one of hard working shunters, certainly in the wider BR fleet, but the Guinness 08s.........well thats another story!

Still, they survived at Park Royal for over a decade, so must have been doing something useful there. Its just really odd that there is no record of them in revenue earning work. One wonders why they were at OOC So much of the time in the mid 80s?

I recall them arriving at OC from Swindon? where they spent a while being remeshed and being readied for the short trip to Park Royal.

In the following couple of years or so they were confined to the Guiness site, where I was called out to on two occasions.

First time was for the engine not shutting down. Our van driver took me over and security told us where it was 'You can't miss it, making a hell of a noise'. Sure enough there it was running on a fast tickover on one cylinder, sounding like a dumper truck. A tap on the wide open fuel pump and peace was restored. The coolant temperature was in the red, so a splash of oil on the fuel pump plungers and restart on six cylinders to bring the temperature down checking several times that there were no sticky fuel pumps.

Second time we had to take the Bruff. They had managed to derail both leading and trailing wheelsets on some point work. Not the easiest of jobs as the suspension pushes both wheels downwards between the rails. Anyway we railed the Bruff and drove alongside, then with the centre wheelset clamped to the rails, front and rear are lifted followed by the laterally swivelling the loco back over the rails with a kick-jack. Almost took out the Breakdown Supervisor when the jack let go once. Can't remember which locos were involved, or if on either occasion the loco went back to OC, but I'm thinking the derailment must have resulted in a once over on the inspection pits.

Dave

• Like 1

I have no photos at Park Royal, but Kingsland Road in Bristol was one destination for the traffic,

here are VGAs being unloaded by Premier Transport in 1983. 

post-7081-0-96075700-1527001180_thumb.jpg

Kingsland Road 20/9/83

post-7081-0-38089500-1527001243_thumb.jpg

Kingsland Road 20/9/83

post-7081-0-79529000-1527001267_thumb.jpg

Kingsland Road 20/9/83.

Exeter St Davids NCL depot, (and later Exeter Central goods yard) was another location where Premier Transport handled Guinness from Park Royal

cheers

• Like 1