TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

Some bodging happening today with a bit of scratch building/RTR bashing. Does anyone know of a source of cylinders that I could replace the moulded ones with? I've had a look on Peter's Spares and a brief sweep of eBay but can only find stuff for much bigger engines.

IMG_20190526_094014.jpg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

Some bodging happening today with a bit of scratch building/RTR bashing. Does anyone know of a source of cylinders that I could replace the moulded ones with? I've had a look on Peter's Spares and a brief sweep of eBay but can only find stuff for much bigger engines.

IMG_20190526_094014.jpg

I would also like to know. My pugbash could use some new cylinders. 

1 hour ago, TurboSnail said:

IMG_20190526_094014.jpg

Hi Turbo,

Have a look through the Nelliebosh and Pugbash thread for there are some of this type of chassis fitted with cylinders and slide bars.

Gibbo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Turbo,

Have a look through the Nelliebosh and Pugbash thread for there are some of this type of chassis fitted with cylinders and slide bars.

Gibbo.

I'm a big fan of that thread, which is the inspiration behind doing this. Most if the sources I found in there now no longer exist unfortunately (unless I'm just terrible at finding things).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, webbcompound said:

24" cylinders. That is some serious power. Is it a banker?

You assume there has been some planning on my part! I'm making it up as I go along... It's dictated by the tube I had available.

It's probably more of a heavy hauler, the plan is for it to have a four-wheel tender as well, although that will make it more difficult to hide the motor as I can't use the tanks to do it. The boiler will have to be pretty big too, so let's go with it being something a bit chunky. Any suggestions for actual justification/backstory would be welcome :) 

• Like 1

Here's the stash of bits for the body. I also have 15 or 20mm diameter tube for the boiler - I think I might try and reduce the 20mm down to about 17 or 18, assuming it fits over the motor.

Any suggestions? I think the cab will come from the Caley pug, not sure about the rest yet. I'll finish the chassis off before moving on to the body, so please do suggest stuff - I'm not buying any new parts for it though!

IMG_20190526_205632.jpg.1415a28f745a62382f3f8d416b01ca59.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TurboSnail said:

Here's the stash of bits for the body. I also have 15 or 20mm diameter tube for the boiler - I think I might try and reduce the 20mm down to about 17 or 18, assuming it fits over the motor.

Any suggestions? I think the cab will come from the Caley pug, not sure about the rest yet. I'll finish the chassis off before moving on to the body, so please do suggest stuff - I'm not buying any new parts for it though!

IMG_20190526_205632.jpg.1415a28f745a62382f3f8d416b01ca59.jpg

Hmm. I'd go with the smokebox from the Electrotren for a start. I think it looks quite nice.

23 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Hmm. I'd go with the smokebox from the Electrotren for a start. I think it looks quite nice.

1 hour ago, BlueLightning said:

I agree with Red, smokebox from the Electrotren looks great! So I would use that! (I also approve of your background viewing!)

Sorry to let you down chaps, but I think the Electrotren smokebox will be too small for this loco. It's a tender engine, so I can't cover up the motor with side tanks, so it will have to be a boiler of 18mm or larger - the Electrotren is 15mm IIRC. 

17 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

Sorry to let you down chaps, but I think the Electrotren smokebox will be too small for this loco. It's a tender engine, so I can't cover up the motor with side tanks, so it will have to be a boiler of 18mm or larger - the Electrotren is 15mm IIRC. 

Fair enough. Go with the one from Jinty then but trim the chimney.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

Still stuck doing exams and Vivas to get too much modelling done at the moment, but there are extra nerd points on offer for anyone who can identify where my day out on the trains ended up today.

The pugbash is still trying to decide what sort of boiler it wants. The cab will definitely be the one from the Caley pug though, to show off some of the surprising amount of detail Hornby put in. 

IMG_20190531_185731.jpg.3749914162da05d61ed6c023a0931f7a.jpg

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

The local specialty does have that kind of effect!

(hic)

I think you might be talking a load of Bulmer’s...

• Informative/Useful 1

Ah! In that case I've mistaken H... that place for somewhere like Yeovil Junction (I'm not sure why that came to my mind either - Hardly any similarity is there, besides the fact that there is track with rails laid at standard gauge...) which I passed through today.

Does this still count as a pugbash, or am I now into the realms of scratchbuilding? I think I'll need to add a Belpaire type firebox to cover the flywheel. Need to raise that smokebox up to the correct height too. The original plan was to use the Hornby footplate, but it was too tricky to cut off all the cast details so I gave up and made my own.

IMG_20190603_222615.jpg.ef5ab72a7dadf084e9066605a32b4103.jpg

• Like 7