TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

1 hour ago, BlueLightning said:

Can't think of anything personally, but those chassis are quite east to turn into a 2-4-0 (or 0-4-2 if you turn it around) that might help extend your range of possibilities 

Gary 

Did you have to drill a new hole for the smaller wheel, or is it just free?

• RMweb Gold

The hole had to be extended down a bit, I did this by filing the plastic base with a round file, I then filled the top of the hole, but not all the way to the axle, so it has some movement, I had to fill the hole above the middle wheelset aswell, as they are sprung as they come

IMG_20190809_141821__01.jpg.c9a772534617a75917bcfdf635c06d32.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I have also recently been working on other projects started a while ago on this thread...

It runs too! It's a bit quick as there's not much room for a large reduction gearset, but it's not bad. I'm hoping to make these available to buy at some point, so do let me know if you'd like one.

Title.jpg.5ca1a1d54031b924665d824deb36f383.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

29 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

I have also recently been working on other projects started a while ago on this thread...

It runs too! It's a bit quick as there's not much room for a large reduction gearset, but it's not bad. I'm hoping to make these available to buy at some point, so do let me know if you'd like one.

Hi TS,

Excellent work, it is as good as it is small !

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TurboSnail said:

That is adorable! I definitely want one for the KLR workshops!

(edit: there is actually something relevant to pre-grouping in this post! See last paragraph)

Ok, ok, ok, I know this is supposed to be a pre-grouping thread... but I got bored and finished a project I started a while back. I can't help being attracted to odd locos :) 

This AEC shunter has been modelled with the aim of being a very cheap and simple kit - whether it actually gets produced and sold as such remains to be seen. The motor and gears are both very cheap, but should give a scale top speed of 40mph with reasonable slow speed performance (the motor could also be swapped with another version to make it half(!) the speed). It just needs the motor, gears, wheels, handrail wire and pickups to complete - including those, plus the prints, my basic maths indicates that the complete loco kit could be sold for about £45.

What could be more relevant to the pre-groupers is that I'm looking around for alternative uses for this type of chassis - I think it would suit small inside cylinder-ed four-coupled locomotives with wheel diameters over 3ft. So of course I'm now looking around for inspiration! All sorts of small quirky industrial locos could be done this way, at a very reasonable cost. If you can think of any prototypes that match those specifications, do let me know...

image.png.2872c4263dd9da89bb3d8fcf1cdcad2e.png

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

(edit: there is actually something relevant to pre-grouping in this post! See last paragraph)

Ok, ok, ok, I know this is supposed to be a pre-grouping thread... but I got bored and finished a project I started a while back. I can't help being attracted to odd locos :) 

This AEC shunter has been modelled with the aim of being a very cheap and simple kit - whether it actually gets produced and sold as such remains to be seen. The motor and gears are both very cheap, but should give a scale top speed of 40mph with reasonable slow speed performance (the motor could also be swapped with another version to make it half(!) the speed). It just needs the motor, gears, wheels, handrail wire and pickups to complete - including those, plus the prints, my basic maths indicates that the complete loco kit could be sold for about £45.

What could be more relevant to the pre-groupers is that I'm looking around for alternative uses for this type of chassis - I think it would suit small inside cylinder-ed four-coupled locomotives with wheel diameters over 3ft. So of course I'm now looking around for inspiration! All sorts of small quirky industrial locos could be done this way, at a very reasonable cost. If you can think of any prototypes that match those specifications, do let me know...

image.png.2872c4263dd9da89bb3d8fcf1cdcad2e.png

I'd love to see you do one of the traction engine type locos or a VBT. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

I'd love to see you do one of the traction engine type locos or a VBT. 

It's almost pre-grouping...

I'm not sure I'm quite mad enough to do a traction engine just yet!

image.png.8044b7ed0570eb59342954567b623a07.png

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TurboSnail said:

Other people can make my models look far better than I can! This bodyshell will shortly be available from Hardy's Hobbies if anyone wants one :)

image.png.f6bbdb875135f3e17312680d58d9b5cd.png

"craftsman-clever" both to you as designer and to whoever finished the model.

It is on the site already: Link.  Anticipated cost of £45 doesn't sound too bad.  

A bit out of period for me, but I live in hope they'll introduce a Cornwall Mineral Railways Sharp Stewart before too long!!!!!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A few posts ago, I showed an AEC shunter which was designed to be an easy-to-assemble, cheap kit. Well, that chassis design and general concept is now getting applied to another loco, which happily is both steam, and pre-grouping. A little bit northern this time...

We have the very basic beginnings of the chassis, the next stage is to add all the motorising components, then we can move on to the more fun superstructure.

image.png.7559eaca6e4928c193c70201531da979.png

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Is anything still happening with The Lady Of The Lakes?

The design is finished and awaiting a test print. It was a personal project, so there are a few other locos (i.e. commissions) before it in the queue. I have all the wheels, gears and bits to do it, so it's just a case of waiting for a gap in the schedule.

image.png.59d9ecc7370534eae22a0ce2f80e5f30.png

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

And a little bit later, we have the motor, gears and other bits fitted. Hopefully it all fits inside the fairly small boiler! The CAD is set up to be adjustable within a certain tolerance to work around in case it doesn't. 

Top speed is theoretically 263mm/s (45mph) or 132mm/s (22.5mph) depending which motor option I go for.

image.png.98cd7d105f223c636eb17020bc853843.png

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 07/07/2019 at 08:41, Gibbo675 said:

Hi TS,

I saw this and thought of you !

North British Railway (UK) - NBR Class W605 2-2-2 inspection steam locomotive Nr. 312 (Neilson Locomotive Works, Glasgow 1850)

Gibbo.

Apologies, I haven't looked in for a while. Good, if decreasingly large, stuff going on!

Apropos of Gibbo's photo of NBR No. 312A (which I realise was posted nearly two months ago), one of the Flicker comments dates it at 1905; if so, the wagon on the right hasn't been painted for a dozen years - note the 93 paint date in the half (or gibbous?) moon.

• Thanks 1

On 27/08/2019 at 14:50, TurboSnail said:

A few posts ago, I showed an AEC shunter which was designed to be an easy-to-assemble, cheap kit. Well, that chassis design and general concept is now getting applied to another loco, which happily is both steam, and pre-grouping. A little bit northern this time...

We have the very basic beginnings of the chassis, the next stage is to add all the motorising components, then we can move on to the more fun superstructure.

image.png.7559eaca6e4928c193c70201531da979.png

Looks very like a Y7 (Y8 is similar but has an extra cut out). I did the one on shapeways. If you just want it for personal use I could let you borrow my CAD. Dont want to steal your thunder so I wont post pictures.

N20 and bevel drive on the front axle was my choice too, I trimmed the rear shaft but it wasnt completely necessary.

36 minutes ago, brack said:

Looks very like a Y7 (Y8 is similar but has an extra cut out). I did the one on shapeways. If you just want it for personal use I could let you borrow my CAD. Dont want to steal your thunder so I wont post pictures.

N20 and bevel drive on the front axle was my choice too, I trimmed the rear shaft but it wasnt completely necessary.

Thanks for the offer but it might end up being sold, so I don't want to steal your work! I found your model some time after starting mine - I probably wouldn't have started it if I'd realised from the beginning that one already existed. And feel free to post pictures, your CAD does result in a lovely model :)

However, since my interests are more pre-grouping, my model will be an NER Class H, rather than a Y7. And it won't be going on Shapeways.

The N20 motor is something I've used in models all the way back to the F Class at the beginning of this thread, although I tend to use a crown gear rather than bevels to get a little bit more of a speed reduction. It's a really good option price wise, and tends to be very smooth too due to the lack of a worm gear in the system.

• Like 1

No problem - we all have our own preferences anyway, there have been times I've drawn something that someone else has already done as a) I thought I could improve on it b) it didnt quite fit with how I'd like to put the model together and c) I wanted to draw it myself anyway.

One thing I might suggest (if I may be so bold) is that you've filled in the ends and bottom of the frames.

On the prototype the frame ends are quite visible, as are the cylinder covers.

985 North Eastern Railway LNER Class Y7  Mid Suffolk Light Railway (Aug 27 2017) 22

On my cad I sprued the clack valves and brake shoes to the inside of the  frames, but hopefully you can see the cylinders at the first spacer in line with the smokebox front (the top of the cylinders/valves are just visible below the smokebox above the foot plate.

2019-08-30_10-52-59

Guard irons I did with a bit of scrap brass.

Please dont interpret me posting as some sort of territorial claim - I wouldnt care if you did put your version on shapeways, I've only sold 5 of them in 5 years! I just thought I might be able to save you some time.

The day after I finished mine I took it with me to newcastle exhibition, dad showed it to Dave Alexander (who hes known for years) and it turned out that unknown to us (and anyone else) Dave was releasing his new kit on that day, he'd spent about a year making all the masters, etches and moulds but hadn't told anyone. I felt a bit bad - I'd only made mine as an experiment and because the nu cast kit wasnt available.

Edited by brack
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, brack said:

One thing I might suggest (if I may be so bold) is that you've filled in the ends and bottom of the frames.

On the prototype the frame ends are quite visible, as are the cylinder covers.

985 North Eastern Railway LNER Class Y7  Mid Suffolk Light Railway (Aug 27 2017) 22

On my cad I sprued the clack valves and brake shoes to the inside of the  frames, but hopefully you can see the cylinders at the first spacer in line with the smokebox front (the top of the cylinders/valves are just visible below the smokebox above the foot plate.

2019-08-30_10-52-59

Thanks for that, I will make some changes later on :)I always make a really basic outline model first, then try and fit all the motorising components and pickups, then go back to detailing once that's all sorted, so cylinders etc will get done then. The Shapeways WSF material is great for chassis as it's really robust - the material I use is much more brittle so I probably need to add more reinforcing than you've done.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Mine was printed in FUD. Its much stronger than youd think, and the bracing is more than sufficient - it doesn't flex, and the loco weight is applied from above in a vertical direction where there is greatest strength.

WSF is awful for chassis (frankly for anything at all! I made 2 models in wsf and decided scratchbuilding was quicker than filling and sanding the surface, I wouldnt touch it unless I was working in a large scale and couldnt afford anything better) as it doesn't print accurately in the z axis, leaving oval holes, whereas FD and FUD always gave a hole accurate enough for bearings to be a good push fit, secured with a touch of super glue.

• Informative/Useful 1