Traction Tyres - Repair or Replace?

Ravenser

Last night I decided to finish off a long-stalled Silver Fox Baby Deltic kit. The chassis was almost there - I just needed to assemble the bits and wire up, or so I thought

On closer inspection, I found that one of of the traction tyres had split on the Hornby 4 wheel motor bogie I am using.

I then had one of those brilliant bad ideas that come to you late at night when a problem suddenly presents itself.  I pulled the tyre taut to close the gap, held it tight and in place with tweezer tips, and applied a little superglue with wire. After a second round with wire and glue , I now have a traction tyre which is whole and back in place, and seems ok.

However - I have a nagging feeling this may be a stupid bodge - in particular I have a lurking suspicion that cyanoacrylate is a brittle glue, and that despite all the "one drop holds a tonne" hype the whole lot will simply shatter under the impact of running on rails, with the result that the tyre will rapidly break loose.

On the other hand I have a very faint recollection that someone on here had posted something similar as a "fix" for traction tyres that have come loose. But I might be imagining things......

The motor bogie was bought as a spare ,and was  simply described as 4 wheel Hornby motor bogie . The wheels are just over 13.5mm diameter  (I couldn't get the dial calipers right in for a final figure)       

This is an obsolete motor bogie, and as I don't normally get involved with mechanisms using traction tyres, I'm a bit hazy on the subject, though options seem limited. 

But there seems to be this available from Kernow that might do a job?

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/16103/X8029-Hornby-Traction-Tyres---Small 

Peters Spares offer something similar, but possibly smaller for £4.99

And a couple of suppliers offer jars of Bullfrog Snot at £25 a pop, plus postage. That's quite a bit of money for what might be a one off job

I really need to take a final view before assembling the chassis - with replacement resin side frames the clip-on bogie unit will be a devil of a job to get off again in one piece, whereas at the moment there is very easy access to the wheels. Bullfrog Snot could presumably be applied in situ

Comments please....

I got a load of heatshrink from my old company back in the early 80's! I guess somebody like RS or Farnell would stock it, or find some on ebay.

Basically, if you get some, take a sharp craft knife & steel rule, and cut off a small slice of sleeving. I used to run a soldering iron round the sleeve to shrink it, but a hairdier will do it. Just be aware - no excessive heat to met plastis though!

Stewart