Hull Model Railway Show 2018

Middlesea John

Yes it's nearly time for the 2018 Hull Model Railway Show and it has a new home.  Presented by the Hull Miniature Railway Society this year's show, our 39th, will take place in the Walton Street Leisure Centre, adjacent to our clubrooms,.on Saturday and Sunday, 10 and 11 November.

The full address is 

Walton Street Leisure Centre, Goathland Close, Walton Street, HULL, HU3 6JB

Admission is £4.00  Children £1.00

Refreshments will be available

The show is all on the ground floor so easily accessible.

The following layouts have been booked

Appleton Junction: 4mm/ft '00' (Peter Brackenbury) 

Barrowfleet: 4mm/ft '009 &00' (Hull MRS) 

Batterdale: 2mm/ft 'N' (Andy Batters) 

Caton Bay: 4mm/ft '00' (Dave Matthews)

Entering The Yard: 4mm/ft '00' (Shaun Holland)

Hedon Road Yard:4mm/ft '00' (John Robinson)

Kirtley Bridge: 7mm/ft '0' (Bob Hordern) 

Lane End: 4mm/ft '009' (John Housley) 

Larpool & Easington: 3mm/ft 'TTN3' (Stephen Pugmire)

Lockwood Street: 2mm/ft 'N' (Hull MRS)

Lomond Street: 4mm/ft '00' (Nick Skelton) 

Mill Lane: 7mm/ft '0-16.5' (Dave Holmes) 

And ......for the very young our range of Brio Railway will be available for them to play with.

There will be trade support from Caistor Loco,  MTFG Hobbies, Nick Tozer Railway Books,  Wizard Models: 

Plus our ever popular Second Hand Sales Stand.

Getting to Walton Street Leisure Centre is quite easy - we will post directions in the next few days.

See you there !!

To keep up to date with what is happening and details on how to find the new venue go to the Hull MRS website Link to Show page on the home page, you can't miss it. Also details of the new 'N' gauge layout making its proper debut at the Show can be found by following the link from the 'layouts' page  Pictures will be added soon.

See you there over the weekend of the 10th & 11th November.

Peter

I've been asked to pint out that the layout coming is called Cayton Bay (not Caton Bay) and it is built and operated by Hessle Model Railway Group.  

Sorry - Please don't shoot the messenger.

Web site now updated. Like John said, 'please don't shoot the messenger' 

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Things are starting to come together ready for 10am on the 10th November. Guess who is going to be late getting there on the Saturday morning! Need to go for my flu jab, over 65 so couldn't get it done earlier. Hopefully the arm won't ache too much or there could be some odd manoeuvres on Barrowfleet!

Peter 

Things are starting to come together ready for 10am on the 10th November. Guess who is going to be late getting there on the Saturday morning! Need to go for my flu jab, over 65 so couldn't get it done earlier. Hopefully the arm won't ache too much or there could be some odd manoeuvres on Barrowfleet!

Peter

Hope your surgery is better organised than ours. Went for my jab the other day only to give up when I saw the queue stretching way down the road. You could be later than you think!

The excitement is building.  It's the 39th Hull Model Railway Show on Saturday and Sunday 10 and 11 November.  The first in our new venue - the Walton Street Leisure Centre in Hull.

Details have already been posted but for those of you coming from what Hull people call "Out of Town", if you're coming from the West or over the Humber Bridge, go past our previous venue, the Costello Athletics Stadium and follow the signs for the City Centre.  Walton Street is the home of Hull Fair and is the last street on your left before you reach the KCOM Stadium, home to the mighty Hull City and some other team who play with an egg-shaped ball and also take the name of our fair city. Goathland Close is on your left, fairly soon after you turn into Walton Street.  If you're coming from the east, get off the Ferry and head through the city centre or if you live east of the city centre head west along Anlaby Road until you reach the flyover and the stadium, Walton Street is on your right.  From the North your best bet is either come through the city down Beverley Road and turn right onto Anlaby Road after the Hull Interchange (station !) or head towards the Humber bridge and turn left at the roundabout before said bridge and head for the city centre as above.

Now you know how to get there, make sure it's in your diary.  See you at the weekend.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

I enjoyed a couple of hours at Hull this morning (the steer on the website about parking in West Park was a good one, thank you - took all the pain out of it!)  I was particularly taken with Cayton Bay: GriffGriff and I spent some considerable time watching operations there.  It is already impressive and I think it will be really something when finished.  I especially liked the road overbridges, which really looked as if they were supposed to be there, rather than just plonked in situ.  Barrowfleet always catches my eye as well: for me it captures the 'feel' of that part of Lincolnshire wonderfully.    Well done, all: hope all goes well tomorrow.

Best wishes, 

Paul

• Like 1

Evening all,

I was particularly taken with Cayton Bay: GriffGriff and I spent some considerable time watching operations there. It is already impressive and I think it will be really something when finished. I especially liked the road overbridges, which really looked as if they were supposed to be there.

Paul

Thanks Paul, glad you liked it. Overall we were pleased with the way it ran for first time out though getting our heads around the operating schedule was taking some doing!

A bit of a different experience to previous shows but none the worse for it, the standard of the layouts was as high as ever and to accommodate a number comparable to previous years, the amount of space dedicated to trade was reduced significantly.

Of the layouts, all had something of particular merit but Barrowfleet is still a favourite, must be nearly 30 years since its first outing but it never fails to impress. Really catches the atmosphere of the Humber banks.

The days of Hull being in the class of the top regional shows may be in the past but this first one at the new venue suggests it will be in the top drawer of local, club shows in the years to come. 

• RMweb Premium

I wasn't sure how the move of premises would impact on he show but I thoroughly enjoyed my day today on the EM stand and I am looking forward to tomorrow.

In the nicest possible way the show is what I would call a good "old fashioned" club show. A reasonable mix of layouts, a few traders (but when one of them is Wizard models there is a good range of products available), a few demo stands and a lovely friendly atmosphere.

It reminded me of my early days in the hobby in the early 1980s when an exhibition was primarily a showcase for modelling from the club, with a few visiting layouts and is none the worse for it.

Evidence today would seem to indicate that it was a sound move for the club as the attendance seemed to be good and hopefully tomorrow will be similar. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Pleasant couple of hours spent yesterday, as someone noted more of the small club exhibition of years gone bye, a refreshing change from the melee of bigger venues.

Some inspiring layouts on show.

Only thing on the trade side would be if possible to have a bookseller with current / recent releases on sale, as exhibitions tend to be where I buy and browse any new books. Caistor had Booklaw (other retailers are available) in a similar sized venue.  

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Paul, glad you liked it. Overall we were pleased with the way it ran for first time out though getting our heads around the operating schedule was taking some doing!

It didn't show - everybody seemed to be masters of their brief.  I was particularly impressed with the 'switchery' on the panel near the signal box (which was also very nice) - I wouldn't have exchanged places with your 'bobby' for the world, thanks very much!  Only the obligatory yellow duster was missing, I felt.   :)   Will look forward to seeing further progress in due course. 

Best wishes, 

Paul

It didn't show - everybody seemed to be masters of their brief. I was particularly impressed with the 'switchery' on the panel near the signal box (which was also very nice) - I wouldn't have exchanged places with your 'bobby' for the world, thanks very much! Only the obligatory yellow duster was missing, I felt. :) Will look forward to seeing further progress in due course.

Best wishes,

Paul

Thanks again for the kind comments. The signal box is based on Bridlington Quay Crossing box and given Sean who built it used to work there it had to be right!

The switch panel (basically a length of UPVC window cill with a (long) row of SPST switches to operate the servo motors) was designed to replicate the lever frame in the signal box. At the moment only a portion of the switches are in use to operate the points. When we get the signals built and installed and all the switches in operation then the fun will really begin.

Whilst on could I thanks the organisers for their hospitality and allowing us to bring our work in progress layout to the show, it gave us the opportunity to give it a real test. Apologies to anyone who may have been upset by the prescence of an unfinished layout but hope to bring it again in a few years when it's completed.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the positive comments about the Show and especially Barrowfleet. Had a few problems on the Saturday morning, which included me getting there later than intended. Rather long que for the 'flu jab'.  The layout settled down well on Sunday with just a few minor niggles. 

Now what do we take next year?

Peter

Thanks for the invite to Kirtley Bridge and your members' hospitality, we enjoyed a good weekend in Hull.

You had a good variety of layouts and  traders - well done to all of you.  :locomotive:

Pleased too to pick up a couple of trophies - bit of a surprise given thay o gauge layouts often get overlooked when giving out awards.

Best wishes to all, Bob Hordern

post-32086-0-20188000-1542644198_thumb.jpgpost-32086-0-64893500-1542644251_thumb.jpgpost-32086-0-12087200-1542644303_thumb.jpg