Filling in Peco PL10 baseboard cut-outs

PAL

I've gone for the yawning hole rather than the smaller neater slot when fitting Peco PL10s to a 6mm ply baseboard. I have, with much fiddling, fitted two halves of thin card around the body of each motor to fill in the gap. The trouble is, they sag into the hole. On the other hand, if I substitute something thicker, it will lift the whole toe of the point that much further off the deck, which besides looking odd - I want eye-level viewing height -  would possibly affect smooth running on what is an ultra- slow-speed shunting layout. What would members advise? 

Edited by PAL

I use the grey cardboard from cornflakes package.

Cut to a rectangle larger than the hole. With small holes cut out for the securing tabs and the actuation pin.

Then fit it between the point and motor (can be fitted after the point is laid but before fitting the motor).

No sag and takes glue for ballast very well.

Rick

Thanks so much to contributors.

Chris & Bill: at last a use for that vile blister pack plastic that draws the blood of the unwary and you have to attack with a Stanley knife. Of course like all great ideas it's only obvious when someone else points it out!

Rick: cornflake card sounds a good compromise between thickness and non-sag. It occurred to me that perhaps a coating of shellac might stiffen it even more.

Any other ideas from members would be most welcome.