Jump to content

cal.n

Shapeways Price Change (Increase)

Recommended Posts

I agree with what you say Phil. I went with Shapeways , mainly because it would allow me to concentrate on design. Their software is now poretty good at working out what will print OK, and the rest is down to the experience of the designer, and the CAD software they use(you don't have to actually print everything to have a pretty good idea something will print OK).

The other reason I opted for Shapeways was that they can supply a worldwide customer base, with no extra hazzle. That means no extra insurance for some countries(check out what the original owner of Cambrian says on this forum about exporting to USA and why he would not).

  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My pricing by shapeways for FUD is all over the shop so to speak. I can do under frames for one type of wagon and they cost $100 the same under frame with a slightly different details  for a 2nd wagon costs $300! What's going on! Since this has happened I haven't printed anything with shapeways and I'm investigating China plus printing my own stuff on a resin printer

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its gone into meltdown I suspect - I have a couple of ETR610 bodyshell files that I uploaded as an exercise to benchmark the pricing changes against the grandfathered models. Both are now showing a different price, so I uploaded another one only for that to show another price. All of them are identical, but none have the same price!

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep.  It's an admin' cluster f'.

 

I can see them imploding eventually with all these accumilative anoyances.

 

People like me for instance are making contingency plans and taking exit strategy steps.

 

Again, I don't intend replacing but supplimenting.

 

But who knows what the future holds, maybe Shapeways will somehow dig themselves (and us all) out of these troubles.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im finding it rather worrying how quickly it has all devolved into the staff saying one thing, the staff doing another, and the website going in a completely different way without seemingly any control.  And the users are somehow still at fault because we have the audacity to expect the same level of service as theyve made available for years. 

 

Ive read in the SW forums, someone hypothesizing that there was no actual pricing algorithm and instead random prices being thrown out until people stop complaining.  Its feeling more and more like that.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spitfire2865 said:

Im finding it rather worrying how quickly it has all devolved into the staff saying one thing, the staff doing another, and the website going in a completely different way without seemingly any control.  And the users are somehow still at fault because we have the audacity to expect the same level of service as theyve made available for years. 

 

Ive read in the SW forums, someone hypothesizing that there was no actual pricing algorithm and instead random prices being thrown out until people stop complaining.  Its feeling more and more like that.

I suspect miscommunication between the American parent company, who presumably control the web site, and the European branch with whom we trade.

 

There must be some pricing algorithm, otherwise all the prices would have to be set by the staff. Even a random-number generator is a kind of algorithm.

 

My best information is still that the pricing algorithm is both badly designed (escalating prices to a minimum rather than adding a constant amount per material for handling costs) and badly implemented (not doing what they intended. I'm waiting for the current round of fixes to settle before choosing a direction.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does Shapeways dust ever settle though?

 

It's like Goldstein in the news; once they are bored with one they bring in another.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Guy Rixon said:

I suspect miscommunication between the American parent company, who presumably control the web site, and the European branch with whom we trade.

 

There must be some pricing algorithm, otherwise all the prices would have to be set by the staff. Even a random-number generator is a kind of algorithm.

 

My best information is still that the pricing algorithm is both badly designed (escalating prices to a minimum rather than adding a constant amount per material for handling costs) and badly implemented (not doing what they intended. I'm waiting for the current round of fixes to settle before choosing a direction.

They have clearly done something wrong with the algorithm, on that Ill gladly agree.  They even admitted something was wrong, though only after being confronted with data they themselves provided with pride.  

When I say lack of algorithm, I mean a functional one with an understandable reasoning behind it.  They have openly said they do not intend to release their "new and improved" one for "competitive reasons" or however they so deviously worded it.  This lack of transparency in the wake of the old Shapeways implosion does not give me confidence they have any idea how to continue into the future.  

 

Even the post above from m0rris about 3 identical uploads with varied prices shows they dont have a clue.  I suspect they have no long term plan and fully intend to hide as much poor planning as possible until the community calls them out on it for them to claim it an unintended bug.  

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/02/2019 at 05:14, Spiritofprogress said:

My pricing by shapeways for FUD is all over the shop so to speak. I can do under frames for one type of wagon and they cost $100 the same under frame with a slightly different details  for a 2nd wagon costs $300! What's going on! Since this has happened I haven't printed anything with shapeways and I'm investigating China plus printing my own stuff on a resin printer

 

If the price is exactly $300, this means your model contains 40 loose shells (probably 39 small rivets that are not conntected).

Since the pricing per part is $7.50

 

Feel free to share the Model ID's of your models and I'll be happy to check :)

 

Models should have same pricing when uploading it multiple times

 

 

On 08/02/2019 at 19:12, Guy Rixon said:

I suspect miscommunication between the American parent company, who presumably control the web site, and the European branch with whom we trade.

 

There must be some pricing algorithm, otherwise all the prices would have to be set by the staff. Even a random-number generator is a kind of algorithm.

 

My best information is still that the pricing algorithm is both badly designed (escalating prices to a minimum rather than adding a constant amount per material for handling costs) and badly implemented (not doing what they intended. I'm waiting for the current round of fixes to settle before choosing a direction.

 

Note that you actually do trade with Shapeways Inc (this has changed some years ago), the american parent company.

Shapeways BV in Eindhoven only produces and ships parts but is not actually the company you do business with :)

 

As for the pricing formula, there definitely is one :) 

But as you said, it's not doing that we intended it to do, causing some models to be way cheaper than they should be and some other models (which we like printing) being way more expensive.

 

This is now being looked into, fingers crossed we will all benefit 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SpoorObjecten said:

 

 

Shouldnt you have changed your avatar by now? The overhaul was several months ago.  

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/02/2019 at 19:20, Spitfire2865 said:

They have clearly done something wrong with the algorithm, on that Ill gladly agree.  They even admitted something was wrong, though only after being confronted with data they themselves provided with pride.  

When I say lack of algorithm, I mean a functional one with an understandable reasoning behind it.  They have openly said they do not intend to release their "new and improved" one for "competitive reasons" or however they so deviously worded it.  This lack of transparency in the wake of the old Shapeways implosion does not give me confidence they have any idea how to continue into the future.  

 

Even the post above from m0rris about 3 identical uploads with varied prices shows they dont have a clue.  I suspect they have no long term plan and fully intend to hide as much poor planning as possible until the community calls them out on it for them to claim it an unintended bug.  

 

 

As a follow up, my products are all still showing different prices... The dust is still far from settling on this episode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Spitfire2865 said:

Shouldnt you have changed your avatar by now? The overhaul was several months ago.  

 

I like the old logo better than the new one :D

  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/02/2019 at 18:07, SpoorObjecten said:

 

If the price is exactly $300, this means your model contains 40 loose shells (probably 39 small rivets that are not conntected).

Since the pricing per part is $7.50

 

Feel free to share the Model ID's of your models and I'll be happy to check :)

 

Models should have same pricing when uploading it multiple times

 

 

 

Note that you actually do trade with Shapeways Inc (this has changed some years ago), the american parent company.

Shapeways BV in Eindhoven only produces and ships parts but is not actually the company you do business with :)

 

As for the pricing formula, there definitely is one :) 

But as you said, it's not doing that we intended it to do, causing some models to be way cheaper than they should be and some other models (which we like printing) being way more expensive.

 

This is now being looked into, fingers crossed we will all benefit 

 

Sorry should have mentioned both models have been printed before for $100 per set but the new price for the 2nd one is now $300 instead of $100

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So i checked your account, you're referring to the model "M P V3-1 30"

This was previously ordered for $95 USD the price has now moved to $225 USD.

 

Your model contains 30 loose parts which our production team needs to manually handle 1 by 1 (plan them in a printer tray, clean them, sort them, put them in a bag).

For this reason the per part pricing has been changed to $7.50 which will add up to the $225 USD for your model.

 

Maybe you could consider to sprue the model to save on costs as it will bring down the number of parts.

I wrote a best practice guide on this subject here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Im_cmlhBmQXC0ffl18Z18aOpI5gs_wCy2WcFL9_Re_c/edit?usp=sharing

(scroll down to Using sprues efficiently)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won't be bothering even looking at Shapeways as a buyer now. A few years ago I was really excited about this new technology but they've got greedy and priced many of us out of the market. One shop I used regularly on their has practically doubled its prices since last weekend.

 

Their search process is pretty hopeless too.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

One shop I used regularly on their has practically doubled its prices since last weekend.

That willl probably be the new pricing system kicking in. It takes time for some to adjust their prices. Remember most desgners work on their own, often in their spare time.

The search system is hopeless, I agree, partly because all SQL search systems are not that good, which is why I have been suggesting designers should set up their own website/page and then post links on well known specialist websites.  More cooperation between designers would also help.

 

Biggest problem I think is that many expect perfection but are only prepared to pay peanuts! They also expect someone else to do the work, and sort out any problem.

When I started in 3D design 5 years ago, one magazine editor desibed it as an 'aid to scratchbuilding'. I now think that is one of its big advantages. Think how long it would take to scratchbuild that model, and cost it realistically.  Many modellers seem to be stuck in one scale as if no other scale exists, but if you want something creative and challenging, then think about modelling in a different scale, one not supported by the trade.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rue_d_etropal said:

Many modellers seem to be stuck in one scale as if no other scale exists, but if you want something creative and challenging, then think about modelling in a different scale, one not supported by the trade.

  

 

I definitely agree here!

As you might have seen, I started building a dutch layout in T gauge (1:450).

Practically nothing exists for this scale, so I'm pretty much 3D printing everything needed to make it look dutch.

 

Sure you can do it by hand in the phsyical world.... but I'm doing it by hand in the digital world and have a 3D printed turn it into something physical :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SpoorObjecten said:

So i checked your account, you're referring to the model "M P V3-1 30"

This was previously ordered for $95 USD the price has now moved to $225 USD.

 

Your model contains 30 loose parts which our production team needs to manually handle 1 by 1 (plan them in a printer tray, clean them, sort them, put them in a bag).

For this reason the per part pricing has been changed to $7.50 which will add up to the $225 USD for your model.

 

Maybe you could consider to sprue the model to save on costs as it will bring down the number of parts.

I wrote a best practice guide on this subject here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Im_cmlhBmQXC0ffl18Z18aOpI5gs_wCy2WcFL9_Re_c/edit?usp=sharing

(scroll down to Using sprues efficiently)

I can certainly sprue the entire lot as 1 part but in the past when I did it you wouldn't allow it and said it was 30 parts. As an end user we cant seem to win here.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shapeways has historically been VERY iffy when it comes to sprues.

Sometimes they are adamant they will not allow it, yet they often tell people to sprue together to save time and money.  

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A small tangent about Shapeways, has anybody had issue using the website itself? I have had several issues with the model editor, product pages and several other pages since the website redesign; that have been getting increasingly worse for me.

Edited by Javier L
Please redirect me if im in the wrong place

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's currently acting up now they've added the new PA12 options. On your model page after you've uploaded it, you can only access the menu that allows you to create a product, open 3d tools etc if you click on the new PA12 material first. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'vehad problems with the drop down menu not stayingstill, but if I click on one of the product options, then it stays still, so I can click on one of the options. So many little probblems, many are not Shapeways fault but the way Windows and browsers are being updated.More a nuisance than a problem.

  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.