Lenz standard+ V2 with ABC Braking using Mega Points ABC generator

arv

Hi all,

My first post!, I have found some of your questions and answers very useful in building and learning about DCC, platform building etc, so firstly thanks. Now I have a question:

I am using a Lenz 100 LZV100 controller for my DCC layout.

As I would like to able to use ABC braking in hidden sidings for some locos (to store and stop trains when you hit a switch) I purchased Mega points controllers ABC generators:

https://megapointscontrollers.com/wp1/automatic-brake-controller-abc-for-dcc-systems-now-available/

And Lenz Standard+ V2 decoders 10231-02 STANDARD+ V2 - which should support ABC braking. This is fitted to a Hornby LMS Duchess 6230, it runs very smoothly.

I have wired the ABC generator on a single rail isolated section (right rail, as train goes over it). Switch is open.

I have set CV51 individually to values 1,2,3 to experiment..

And I cant get it to work. The engine just drives over the section as if it is normal track whatever the CV settings are, whether the point controller switch is set or if I try reversing the polarity of the whole 15V AC of the layout.

Anyone got ABC working using these decoders? What did you do?

I am thinking of buying the Lenz ABC generators and returning the Mega points controllers ones? But these are just a ring of diodes, so I dont see how this can be the cause?

Thanks for your help, Andrew

as you say, they are just diodes and if the wrong way round then have no effect - there was a long thread recently where a poster couldn't  get them to work at one end of a shuttle but not the other and the ABC was on the wrong rail :(

Just a suggestion

Edited by WIMorrison

Hi all,

My first post!, I have found some of your questions and answers very useful in building and learning about DCC, platform building etc, so firstly thanks. Now I have a question:

I am using a Lenz 100 LZV100 controller for my DCC layout.

As I would like to able to use ABC braking in hidden sidings for some locos (to store and stop trains when you hit a switch) I purchased Mega points controllers ABC generators:

https://megapointscontrollers.com/wp1/automatic-brake-controller-abc-for-dcc-systems-now-available/

And Lenz Standard+ V2 decoders 10231-02 STANDARD+ V2 - which should support ABC braking. This is fitted to a Hornby LMS Duchess 6230, it runs very smoothly.

I have wired the ABC generator on a single rail isolated section (right rail, as train goes over it). Switch is open.

I have set CV51 individually to values 1,2,3 to experiment..

And I cant get it to work. The engine just drives over the section as if it is normal track whatever the CV settings are, whether the point controller switch is set or if I try reversing the polarity of the whole 15V AC of the layout.

Anyone got ABC working using these decoders? What did you do?

I am thinking of buying the Lenz ABC generators and returning the Mega points controllers ones? But these are just a ring of diodes, so I dont see how this can be the cause?

Thanks for your help, Andrew

Hi,

I haven't got an ABC braking module but looking at the Lenz Standard+ V2 manual  you could try values 4, 5, 6 and 7 in CV51 - that should deactivate ABC direction dependency and hopefully make it easier to experiment with ABC braking.

Regards

Nick

Try turning off running on DC, a have a 21 silver that wouldn't stop until it was switched off.

Thanks for the idea, (CV29 bit 3, for DCC operation only). I tried this and it made no difference.

I also tried the above idea of disabling direction dependency (CV51 bit 4) and this made no difference either.

Which ABC generators are you using?

The only thing I can now think of is the drop voltage on the diodes is "different" so trying a Lenz ABC generator might be a good idea as then I will have controller, decode and ABC, all from the same Lenz manufacturer.

Hi,

success!

I tried a second chip in a newer loco and now it works. I have not yet remedied the problem in the older loco yet but at least now the ABC braking technology works and I can do my hidden sidings...

Experimenting with the Lens Standard+ V2 chips I found that the stopping distance on CV52 value 50 is around 1.4m.

This stops a train from "express train" like speed 21 to a halt exactly (+/- 2cm) at this point.

Likewise, from a lower speed 10 or 14 the train reaches this same point on the track but crawls along at the end, but it works well.

If I set the speed to 28 (max, beyond scale speed; just about stay on the track speed) then the train will slow down but locks up at the point where the distance is reached and slides about 20cm, overshooting.

The chips appear to use a constant braking factor, which did not change if I modified the braking delay parameter (CV 4) so it is important to have a sufficient length of track to slow down on.

In reality the default setting of CV52 (50) and 1.4m works pretty well. Reducing CV52 to 30 reduces the stopping distance to 1.1m but does not increase the rate of braking and so lock-up and sliding occurs from a lower speed.

So assuming I can remedy the problem with the other loco I can say that it works. The older loco was soldered on just red/black, grey/orange whereas the newer loco had a 8 pin socket from factory.

Also, I have not yet encountered any problems with metal wheels on the rolling stock shorting the ABC section to the non-ABC section and I have simply used standard insulation joiners.

Next I will try freight locos with smaller wheels...