I'm inclined to believe that it would go bagged, probably in vans, because it is, by comparison with other minerals, a 'low volume, high value' item, especially after drying and filtering to size. Even now, it is an expensive thing to buy, maybe £250/tonne, which is about five or six times the price of coal in industrial quantities, and even for industrial use comes in quite small sacks.

you might find this account interesting, although it relates to a different location. http://www.mkheritage.co.uk/wsc/docs/Fullers%20Earth.html

Edited by Nearholmer

Mention of that book has caused me to go deep into my book mine, where it has lain undisturbed since I read it when it was first published (2009 it says inside).

It contains a chapter about transport, and as I surmised (or perhaps remembered without realising) it went in sacks, in closed vans. The little two-siding goods yard at Midford was, apparently, built specifically for this traffic, so if you can find pictures of that yard on-line, and I know there are many, then any vans present will most likely be for this traffic. I'm no wagon expert, but I think I can make out typical GWR and LMS vans, plus later BR standard ones.

Mention of that book has caused me to go deep into my book mine, where it has lain undisturbed since I read it when it was first published (2009 it says inside).

It contains a chapter about transport, and as I surmised (or perhaps remembered without realising) it went in sacks, in closed vans. The little two-siding goods yard at Midford was, apparently, built specifically for this traffic, so if you can find pictures of that yard on-line, and I know there are many, then any vans present will most likely be for this traffic. I'm no wagon expert, but I think I can make out typical GWR and LMS vans, plus later BR standard ones.

Thank you, thats handy.

Interestingly as far as I can make out from the photo's but possibly unsurprisingly Midford didnt seem to handle any coal

Hmmm ....... pity I put the book back in the depths of the cupboard, because it gave the name of the coal merchant who operated from the same goods yard.

We are talking the same yard, aren't we? I'm talking about the one just beyond the little tunnel.

The other little yard is shown on the signal plan as "coal siding', too. http://www.trainweb.org/railwest/images/sb-diag/midford-br.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer

There used once to be a siding at the Bath end of Wellow station (removed long ago) adjacent to some form of 'works', the derelict building still standing there. I have a vague idea - but I'm not an expert in Wellow local history! - that it was a place where Fuller's earth was dried before being loaded onto rail. 

Chris

There used once to be a siding at the Bath end of Wellow station (removed long ago) adjacent to some form of 'works', the derelict building still standing there. I have a vague idea - but I'm not an expert in Wellow local history! - that it was a place where Fuller's earth was dried before being loaded onto rail. 

Chris

Mentioned in that book I've referred to! You'll have to look harder for it ...

• RMweb Premium

Is that scene at Tucking Mill supposed to be after the division of stock between the Midland and LSW in was it 1914? Otherwise I'm struggling to account for the Tariff Van; I'm supposing it must be an ex-S&DJR Road Van. It's the placing of the MR on the doors that's tickling me in particular - is there any photographic evidence? I can see that it's an attempt to put the 12" letters in as near the same position as the framing permits as they would be on a standard sliding-door van. On the other hand I'm looking at the D382 Tariff Van in Essery's wagon book; both photos show smaller lettering - 12" - M.R in the leftmost space in the framing - but my feeling is that that's an 1890s style. The only other point of reference are the banana vans; the version of these without the flush planking have 12" M R spread in the two spaces between the vertical framing at the left hand end.

EDIT - realised it must be an ex-S&DJR Road Van as it lacks the end windows the Tariff Vans sported.

Edited by Compound2632