Sittingbourne footbridge, progress so far.

Paul_C

A while ago I came up with an idea to build a version of the old footbridge that stands on Sittingbourne station. To avoid starting completely from scratch I decided to use the Bachmann resin model (44-020) as this is the nearest likeness that I could find. I have cannibalised the parts from two of these in order to achieve the extra width and height of the real thing.

Today I managed to overcome some rather awkward sections that have been holding me back for a while and the lower half is now glued together and well advanced. I have lined the edges with K & S brass strips to sharpen the appearance and added Milliput filler to a few areas. Still a very long way to go but it's now starting to fall into place. 

Paul C.    

post-29343-0-96214900-1546217060_thumb.jpg

post-29343-0-57037800-1546217096_thumb.jpg

post-29343-0-58233200-1546217383_thumb.jpg

post-29343-0-90608200-1546217599_thumb.jpg

Edited by paulcornish

Further to my original post I now have exactly what I need, thanks to those who replied. Sometimes there's only one way to get the necessary info that we're after. It seems a bit extreme but last Saturday evening I drove down and did everything in one hit. As well as taking a good number of photographs I also measured it from the inside so I now have very detailed stats and can get on with building the model.

For the sake of a few hours I have avoided weeks, if not months, of uncertainty pondering over the finer details. Although I don't know of anyone else who's modelling this location if my photos and jottings can be of use to others I'm happy to share them around.

Paul C. 

• 3 weeks later...

Further to my original post about this footbridge is there anyone out there who happens to have a good recollection of how it looked in the early sixties colour wise? The main part seemed to be green but I can't find any photos showing the sloped sides or interior. Any help would be very useful.

Paul C.

post-29343-0-98646100-1543243256_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I never saw this post, when first put up, but I am posting here to help the thread get back in the queue! Can I suggest you re-post much of this to your main layout thread? People will be following that for sure.

Mike

Thanks for that Mike. To be honest I'm still a little unsure when it comes to posting things on the forum. I do have a few different "subjects" on the go but from now I'll just keep it all in the same place.

Paul C.

• Like 1